Welcome to Part 2 of Alternative Solutions and if you remember from Part 1 if you've already viewed Part 1, you'll know that I'm covering the alternative solutions in virtualization products just simply because, you need to know that they're out there. In Part 1 I talked about the free solutions that you have out there, VirtualBox, VMware Player, those kinds of things and in Part 2 here, I want to talk about the paid applications that are available out there in virtualization. First one is probably the one that everybody tends to gravitate toward first and that is VMware Workstation. Now this is the undisputed leader in desktop virtualization. Now some of you may disagree with me here, that's okay, but almost everywhere you go in, in the corporate world, in enterprise level environments, if there's virtualization going on, you're going to see VMware. Talk to administrators, mention the word VMware and they smile, they, they stand up straight, they talk about all the cool things VMware can do with virtualized machines and making copies of servers and moving them around and all that sort of thing. And Workstation is kind of the client side piece of functionality in there. Now VMware offers a ton of products that are paid applications and we'll talk about those in a separate video but just understand now VMware Workstation is by most accounts, the leader in the industry right now. This supports all kinds of enterprise level functionalities, I kind of alluded to these in Part 1. The ability to clone a machine very quickly and easily, the ability to take multiple snapshots of these things, it's just all kind of cool stuff you can do. You can provide remote access to a virtual machine very easily, a lot of things are just built into the interface, they're designed to minimize workload on the administrators and it's just a really, really cool product. Now this was by the way, a little trivia here, the first virtual machine product to support 3D graphics, by the way it was also the first one to fully implement and support the Windows Arrow Graphics functionalities. And again you can go to VMware.com and get this, something very interesting here. Now I'm going to mention this in this course but understand, this could change, you know, in a week's time. If you go to VMware.com, you can download a free 30 day trial of VMware Workstation and you can bring this thing down and play with it for 30 days at the end of the 30 days when your trial expires it just starts to function as VMware Player. Well what a lot of people find is, is that if you just go download VMware Player and install it, you just get VMware Player and it will never do anything other than those things that VMware Player does. However if you download Workstation and then it expires, it begins to function as VMware Player but it still retains some of those functionalities that Workstation had. This is kind of odd I know, but just play with it on your own and see what happens but VMware really seems to be using these products, VMware Player and VMware Workstation to really market their ideas and their products. Because they have some incredibly strong, seriously enterprise level virtualization products like Sphere and VM View and some other things, we'll talk about those later on in the course as well. Probably the number one paid application out there for the end user, for people who just want to run virtualized environments on their machine, it's going to be VMware Workstation. Now another incredibly popular one is Parallels, now this is best known as a virtualization solution for Apple. If you go into your local computer store, wherever you buy your computers and you say well I'd like a Mac Notebook, but I'm a Windows person or I've got a lot of Windows applications, the first thing they're going to say is Parallels. Parallels will let you run Windows on Apple machines. Now what a lot of people may not have caught up on is the fact that, there is a version of Parallels that will run on Windows on Linux machines and it's a virtualization environment, very, very similar to Workstation or VirtualBox or anything like that. Now this is a, by the way, let me mention this, they also have a mobile version that's out, that provides virtualization for iPhones and iPad. Now this is kind of, I don't want to be negative here but can be kind of quirky and you'll see a lot of less than stellar reviews on the products out there. This came out as a free product, now they've announced it's going to 20 dollars. You can still get it for 4.99 and they're just kind of tending to make everybody mad and disappoint them with this. Some people use this and absolutely love it, so if you're an iPhone, iPad user, go try this, see what you think about it, especially before it goes to 20 bucks. Who knows how long that's going to last but you can also go to Parallels.com and see all of their offerings out there. Now with, with all that going on, that's the two biggest ones as far as paid applications. Now there is one that I want to mention here as a paid virtualization application and that's a product called VMware Fusion. Now that is a VMware product, it is really VMware Workstation for the Mac machine and for example, I've got a Mac Mini, I run VMware Fusion on it and it's, it's blazingly fast, that's one of the things VMware is very popular for. Very efficient operation on their virtual machines and by the way, let me throw this in here, VMware Workstation, VMware Player both run the exact same architecture under the hood. So you get the same performance out of both, VMware Fusion runs fabulously on the Mac, it is extremely popular and again when you walk into the computer store and you mention that hey, I'm a Windows person and I'm moving to Mac and I still got a bunch of Windows stuff. They're going to mention Parallels first and then they're going to mention VMware Fusion. Don't know why it goes that way, I looked at them both and I liked Fusion better, probably because I'm more familiar and more comfortable with VMware. Okay. So if you are a Parallels person, good for you, I've seen it, I've got friends that swear by it, they kind of snicker at me for using Fusion, that's okay. That's the alternative paid solutions that are out there, just wanted you to know that these are out there. I would strongly encourage you to go take a look at them and see which one really fits your needs.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.