Welcome to Part 1 of Alternative Solutions and what I want to do here with this video is introduce you as we're getting started with the course to some alternative solutions out there in virtualization. Because while we're going to focus completely in this course on VMware Workstation and we'll talk about VMware Player just a little bit, which by the way is VMware's free virtualization solution. I want to kind of in the interest of full disclosure I guess, let you know that there are other solutions out there. And also I want to quickly point out that you need to know about these, because people who use virtualization products tend to kind of treat these the same way they do religion, politics, those sorts of things. People are very emotional and, and charged about their particular virtualization product, I don't know why that is but I see it over and over and over. Probably the most popular free virtualization product out there is going to be a tie between this guy here, VirtualBox, maybe a girl, I don't know how you tell the difference in software. But VirtualBox or VMware's Player solution. But for now let's talk about VirtualBox. This is now developed by Oracle Corporation, that's, yes that's the database company. VirtualBox was developed by Innotek, it's totally free, Open Source. Then Sun Microsystems purchased them, that's when this product exploded and became very popular. I've used VirtualBox a lot, I actually did a QuickStart! video for VTC and you can go find that out there if you're a VirtualBox person. This is a really cool piece of software, it's very, very popular for Windows, they also now have versions for Apple, for Linux, for Solaris. So this might be one you want to check out if you're looking for a free solution and you can go to www.VirtualBox.org. Now VirtualBox has a strong following out there and when you see somebody using VirtualBox, you can tell them that you're using something else and they'll probably smirk at you and you know, treat you like you just haven't quite been enlightened yet. VMware Player is the free version of Workstation and we'll talk about this off and on as we go through the course. It is really Workstation minus the enterprise level functionalities and we're talking about things like machine cloning very easily, multiple snapshots of your machines, being able to record, replay changes, all kinds of things like that. But very, very popular, VMware Player was kind of the only game in town until solutions like VirtualBox began to show up out there. Now VMware Player is stated by VMware to be for casual users who need to create and run local virtual machines. Now these things are excellent, if you've got a laptop and you want to take a look at, for example, Windows 8. A lot of hype about Windows 8, well as that thing starts to show up in Beta versions and so forth, load that up in a virtual machine on your laptop, take a look at it and when you're done, kind of blow it away and be done with it. So you can go to www.VWware.com and take a look at that. Now the next free application that you need to know about is kind of interesting, it's, notice the spelling here, Q-E-M-U and it's pronounced, you'll here it called QEMU or QEMU and this is designed to run only on Linux host. But it has a very, very popular strong following out there among the Linux people for this one reason right here. Well for a lot of reasons but this is the main one. This guy does not require Administrative Privileges to run, now what that means for you is, you can build thumbdrived based portable virtual machines. This can be huge, I can have a virtual machine and I can go out to anybody else's computer, laptop, whatever, pop in my thumb drive and if it's on a Linux host and then I have got a fully functional computer on my thumb drive. That is Star Trek type stuff for most of us and that is why QEMU has become so popular. You can go to, you can actually go to QEMU.org and it will redirect you to Wiki.QEMU but either one of those will get you there and you can take a look at the different offerings they have and read more about it. Virtual PC, got to mention this one, it is the free offering from your friends at Microsoft. It's an excellent product, however it's targeted to the Windows platform only and by the way it was really designed by Microsoft to run earlier versions of the Windows Operating System. And back in the early days it was designed to compete with things like VirtualBox and some other things. Now not many people will take this thing very seriously, it is used inside Microsoft's Operating Systems now, just to provide backward support, backward compatibility for example. If you need to run something in XP and it won't run in Windows 7, this is what actually pops up in that window when you run that functionality. So anyway that's really what this is used for and of course, you can go to www.microsoft.com and go out there and get this and bring it down. Now I'm going to stop the video here, this will be the end of Part 1 and if you've noticed here, Part 1 we talked about the free applications that are there. Now there are more, these are the most popular, these are the ones that I wanted you to see and have a chance to go take a look at on your own. But in Part 1 here, I've talked about the free ones and in Part 2, if you'll join me there, we'll talk about the paid applications that are out there, that are pretty serious offerings for enterprise level functionalities.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.