Let's talk about some Virtualization Pros and Cons in this video because it's very easy when you read all the marketing hype out there to kind of fall into the trap of thinking Virtualization solves every problem we've ever experienced in information technology. And it's the answer to pretty much any ill that we have and that is not exactly true, as a matter of fact, it's not true by long shot. So in this video let's start off just by talking about what are the pros and then some of the real world cons or some disadvantages of working in a virtualized environment. First of all, let's talk about what's good about it. Well all the under utilized resources are used more efficiently. Now historically we only had one server running one application, depending on how the application was set up, depending on what it was for example. All the network services like DNS, DHCP all those kinds of things, just simply didn't use a whole lot of resources most of the time. They would have their little spikes and so for the rest of the time that machine sat there, CPU's running along at less than ten percent utilization, you never using anywhere near the memory that's on the machine. And so that's an under utilized expensive resource and so by stacking a bunch of these things in a virtual environment on one machine, we're getting our money's worth to speak out of the memory, out of that CPU and all that stuff. Now we're obviously going to be using less hardware if we put multiple computers onto one machine. So think about it, instead of having to own an Apple Mac Book Pro and say an HP laptop so that you can run Windows, you can now get one Notebook and so you could get the Mac Book Pro, then you could use virtualization software to virtualize the Windows machine on there. So you got less hardware, now what does that mean? Well it means obviously less expense, I didn't have to buy two laptops, I don't have to buy two servers, all that sort of thing. There's less maintenance, I only have to maintain one machine now. There's fewer hardware related issues, I have fewer hard drives to go out, I have fewer CPUs to have a problem with, fewer motherboards. You get where I'm going here, fewer keyboards, all that stuff. Lower server to administrator ratio in corporate environments on the servers because we have fewer physical machines for administrators to keep up, repair, replace parts, troubleshoot and so forth. Also in the corporate environment especially, less space and less heat and I've been in situations in the corporate world where they spent quite a bit of money just on the air conditioning systems and the backup systems to make sure that the server room stayed cool enough to keep the servers from overheating. And so that's always been a challenge and then probably the biggest pro, the biggest advantage for virtualization is, you have strongly isolated environments. So when one gets in trouble, it's not necessarily going to create problems for the others, while at the same time, we're getting all the advantages, we've already talked about here about less hardware. We're going to use our resources more efficiently and so forth. So what could possibly be wrong with this scenario? What are the disadvantages of virtualization? Well here's the biggest one, it's the all your eggs in one basket aspect. A physical failure now will possibly have a much larger impact. If you have a motherboard problem on a single server that's running say eight other machines, guess what? You just lost all eight machines. If you have a network issue on that machine, you just lost some machines. So what we're going to have to do here is figure high availability fell over, that sort of thing into a design on virtualization. We won't get into that a whole lot but it's just going to be part of it. Degraded performance is simply the reality of virtualization, we're going to talk a little bit later about some of the magic that's going on that VMware actually did when they actually invented the, the I86 or the X86 Virtualization World for us. But anything running in a virtual machine is going to be somewhat degraded in performance. Now sometimes it's not as noticeable, the virtualization's getting much, much better, especially CPU manufacturers get into the game here and start to add their own two cents in. But still, you're always going to have a little bit of degraded performance. Then there's new administrative skills required to work with virtual machines, especially in a corporate environment where you have many, many different servers, some administrative skills get tested and there's some new things you have to do. More complex troubleshooting, when I'm trying to troubleshoot issues on a virtual environment, I have to determine is it the host system that's having the problem? Is it one of the guest systems? Is it more than one of the guest systems? What exactly is going on? And it can lead to some interesting troubleshooting deals. Now new Management Tools, this goes right along with new administrative skills being required. One thing that's happening in the virtualization market, there is no standardization at all on Management Tools and so each different product is done a little bit differently. But you are going to have just some New Management Tools, you're going to learn the Management Tools in VMware Workstation in this course. And they're always going to be just a little bit different, a lot of the same terms and functionalities but a little bit different way of getting there. And then here's another big one, virtual machines sprawl. It's so easy just to throw up a virtual machine, to download an appliance, to get a copy of a virtual machine from somebody else, to build one at home, bring it in and load it. So before you know it, you could have, say 300 virtual machines out there and it can get real interesting, now you're starting to shoot yourself in the foot with disk space and, and performance and all sorts of things. So just a little brief overview of the fact that virtualization brings us some really great things to information technology but it can also introduce some challenges for us. So don't treat it as the end all correction for anything that's going wrong in your IT world.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.