When you first dig into the world of VMware and especially just Virtualization in general, you run into some problems or some challenges and it's just a lot of really confusing information about the processor. And so in this kind of short video here I want to talk about some Processor Specifics that you need to watch for, just so that you don't get surprised or burned and let's talk about the Host System CPU specifics. Now if you look at VMware's stated, you know, Host System Requirements, really almost any virtual products host system requirements, you're going to see some things that are somewhat interesting and you're like, well what is that, now why are they telling me this? This looks like under the hood stuff. Well let's talk about that now. First of all, the easy bottom line stuff to understand for example with VMware Workstation, they'll tell you need a 64-bit X86 architecture, CPU that's running at 1.3 gigahertz or faster. No big problem with that most of us know exactly what all that means, this X86 part might throw a few people, but for the most part we understand. Okay, 64-bit, 1.3 then you start to see this kind of stuff. LAHF / SAHF Support in Long Mode, so the processor has to do that. Well I would venture to guess that if you asked 100 people on the street, whether or not their CPU has LAHF-SAHF Support in Long Mode, most of them are going to call security, get away from you as fast as they can. They don't even know they have a CPU and then even the ones that know what a CPU is probably don't know about this stuff. So exactly what is this? Well what they're talking about here is the programming and the functionality of the machine language that actually runs on the CPU. Everything that we see on our computer screen is a result of a language that was written at a high level, then it gets translated into machine level code, that get's executed on the CPU. So for virtualization to work, our CPU has to have the capability of managing certain calls and managing the memory on those things. Now I'll just tell you that LAHF means Load AH from Flags and SAHF means Store AH into Flags. So if you ever want to impress a bunch of nerds around the water fountain or you know impress the in-laws, this is a great thing to talk about. But I just wanted to let you know what that was. Long Mode simply means we're talking about a processor that has 64-bit addressing. What that means is, we can address up to 64-bits of, of RAM memory space and what that translates to is much, much more memory can be utilized. Now if you find this stuff fascinating at all, I've got this website here and I won't try to read it all, just Logics.CZ. I hope by the time you see this training course, that this link will be still good, but that is an actual Programming Document out there about how to program to the I386 CPU platform. It's some fascinating, fascinating stuff, if you're a nerd like me and you enjoy reading that stuff, just go out there and look. It's not a John Grisham novel by any stretch, but kind of interesting to see what's going on under the hood on these things. Now the next thing, here are some things to watch for, this is real world. We're not going to talk about LAHF or Long Mode or anything but to run a 64-bit Guest Operating System on your host means that you're going to have to have one of the following CPUs. An AMD CPU with Segment Limit Support in Long Mode or an Intel CPU with VTX Support. Now here's the problem, if you ask the nice man in the or nice woman in where, your location, wherever you buy your PCs, whether it's Wal-Mart, Best Buy, any, anywhere you go. Does this have, is it an AMD with Segment Limit Support in Long Mode? They're probably going to say, oh yeah sure and they have no idea what you're talking about. If you ask them about VTX, oh yeah sure. I mean, it says right here, this thing's fast, you know, you're going to get that kind of stuff. Well here's the thing, be careful with this, especially on the Intel side. Now as of 2009 and even on into 2010, not all Intel Processors provide VTX Support and if it doesn't, guess what? You're just in a bad way, it's not going to function on your machine. I have an HP laptop that's fabulous, I love the keyboard, I love the graphics, I love the screen on it, I love everything about it, but guess what? It does not provide VTX Support, the thing's only about 2, 2 and a half years old, I cannot run Virtualization Software on it very effectively and its just a problem. So be very, very careful with that. Now you also may have trouble running virtualization and you'll get VTX Support Error Messages and stuff and it may just be that it's not turned on in the BIOS Settings. So you may want to go out there and look at your BIOS and make sure that you have VTX Setting out there that you can turn on. So here's the big question? How do I determine in the real world that VTX is enabled on my machine if I'm having trouble loading a virtualization type arrangement? Well here's the deal, if you go to VMware.com and put in this or if, you actually you can put this in anywhere. But if you go to VMware.com and look for Knowledge Base Article 1003944, it will take you through steps of how to determine that VTX is properly enabled and in place on your machine. So anyway here's real world stuff in this video about how to deal with some of these processor Star Trek type language that you'll see out there. It's, it's all pretty straightforward, the bottom line is especially if you're buying a new machine, especially a laptop. Make sure that you see something about one of these two processors and especially if it's Intel, VTX Support, otherwise you're going to have problems with virtualization on those devices.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.