Welcome to the Virtual Training Company course Using Security Tools. I'm Bobby Rogers and I'm going to be your guide throughout this course. Now, this course is a little bit different than what you might have taken with other Virtual Training Company courses or other courses where you may have sat in a classroom or even books you might have read and the reason this is a little bit different is that we're not going to cover a lot of theory or concepts during the course. What this course entails is basically how to use basic security tools that all security practitioners should be able to use. We're going to cover fundamental knowledge, fundamental hands-on demonstrations of tools and techniques that relate to all areas of computer security. We're going to try to cover cutting edge versions of tools; in other words we're going to try to use tools that are in use today by security professionals around the world. Now, we'll touch here and there on some tools that have been around for a while and are still widely used because they're tried and true but we are going to focus primarily on cutting-edge tools, new tools. Now, we've categorized these tools rather loosely and you can slice and dice some of these categories any way you would like but we've categorized them and you can basically follow along. You can take this course and look at the tool demonstrations basically in any order you'd like or you can look at them in the order that most interest you; that's most important to you. Now, some of these may fall in specific categories. For example, we've got some tools that are listed in the Linux Tools category but they're also network security tools or they might be forensics tools. So don't feel bad if these aren't categories exactly the way you think you might put them in a category because they usually fall into a wide range of different areas and again, these are basic, common tools that all security practitioners should be familiar with. There's good training out there but there's a lack of hands-on demonstrations. I've met a lot of security professionals over the years that knew their concepts and their knowledge very well but maybe they had never been exposed to a particular tool before or had never worked with it and in this world of security we live in now, if you're a security professional, you need to have exposures to all these different tools. So having said that, let's go ahead and look at some of the tools we're going to cover and some of the categories we're going to talk about. As I said, we've divided these up and this may be nothing more than arbitrary way of categorizing certain tools but we've done the best we can to put them in a logical order. Again, you may look at this and decide to take this in any order you would like but here's the categories that we've divided it up into. We've got General Security Utilities and these are utilities that are normally cross-platform. They may or may not be specific Windows or Linux tools. They may be used across platforms. There may be a Windows version and a Linux version. Then we're going to talk about specific Windows utilities. These are specific to the Windows Operating System; some things you won't find in Linux and also right after that we're going to talk about Linux-specific tools, security tools and we'll cover command-line tools and GUI tools throughout this course; sometimes versions of both, sometimes just command-line version or just the GUI version. The next category we'll look at will be Scanning and Reconnaissance Tools and these are tools that you would use, let's say you might be doing a pen test or you might be doing vulnerability scanning on your network. These tools will help you do that. Then we're going to look at specific Network Security Tools. We'll also look at Wireless Security Tools as well. Then we're going to go to Web Tools. We'll look at web-based tools that you might find on an Internet site or an Internet site that would help you manage web security. We'll also look at Encryption Tools as well. These tools cover data at rest on your system and how to encrypt that and also tools that cover how to encrypt data in transit; that's being transmitted across unsecure networks. We've also thrown some Penetration Testing Tools in there as well; Hacker Tools for lack of a better word that I think you'll find very interesting that security professionals need to know also. They're not just for hackers. They're for security professionals to learn how to use to secure their own networks. We'll also look at Computer Forensics Tools and these tools are very useful in the incidence response arena of computer security. You'll learn to use these tools to gather and collect evidence and analyze it on computer systems. Then we're going to take a generic look at Live Linux Distros and these are becoming very popular in the security world in that they're very easy to use, they hold a wide variety of security tools and they make using these tools very convenient and usually they're in the form of Linux Distros, live distros that you boot up a computer with and you can either examine the computer itself or you can examine the network around it. And then finally we'll look at building a security toolbox and we'll do this several different ways including building a Linux distro of your own or putting specific tools on a USB thumb drive and so forth. So we're going to look at a wide range of tools and how to use them and that's what this course is going to focus on is how to use the tools. We'll look at what the tool is used for, how it's used, different options and techniques and so forth in using the tool and this is what we'll talk about, we'll stay focused on throughout this course. So sit back and enjoy it but don't sit back too much. I want you to look at the course. I want you to look at the tool demonstrations and then I want you to do some work on your own, set up a practice lab or practice computer and actually work with these tools. That's the only way you're going to get good at using them is actually by using them. So let's go ahead and jump into this right now. I hope you enjoy the course.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.