Another tool that we want to talk about, really a family of tools and that's anti-malware tools. Now, we're going into, in particular, a tool called Ad-Aware 2008 but understand that there are dozens of really good anti-malware products out there. Some are ones that you pay for and get a license for and some are free and some are the kind where they're free but you can upgrade to the professional version and get a lot more features, better support and so forth and Ad-Aware is one of those programs; really good free program that you can get and eliminates a really good amount of spyware and adware and so forth. That's its job is to detect and eliminate malware. Now, it doesn't really detect and eliminate viruses. That's what an anti-virus program is for and that's why I kind of recommend that you use actually both; you use anti-virus software such as MacAfee, Symantec, ABG Free, Clam or whatever you like, whatever your favorite is and you supplement that with an anti-malware program such as Ad-Aware for example. Some other good examples could be Spy Patrol and there's also Spybot Search and Destroy. These are all alternatives that are just as good as Ad-Aware and the reason I recommend that you do this is not every product detects everything. Even some of the better anti-virus products out there don't detect every single virus that's out there and they don't detect every single piece of malware out there. So you kind of want to supplement your anti-virus or other anti-malware products with another product as well that catches different things. We're going to do a demonstration in particular of Ad-Aware 2008 but understand, there are dozens of really good programs out there. So let's go ahead and take a look at Ad-Aware 2008. Now, we're in our Windows XP Professional box and we're actually still in safe mode from our previous session so one of the good things about all of these Ad-Aware programs or anti-malware programs rather is that they function really well in Windows normal mode but what you want is a program that also works very well in safe mode and the reason you want that is because you can't always clean some viruses and malware in normal mode. Sometimes it requires booting in the safe mode and the reason that is the case is that in safe mode, very minimal Windows services and drivers are running so a lot of malware and viruses can't be cleaned when they're in normal mode because they're running processes they've started. In safe mode, that's not the case. They cannot start or run in safe mode so they're vulnerable to being cleaned up by a really good anti-malware program. And Ad-Aware is one of those programs that will run in safe mode. You, of course, want to update its definitions on a regular basis before you need them, actually before you need to clean something up do that and you can do the automatic update thing of course but you can also manually update them wherever you like. You want to update it before you need it so that when you go into safe mode where you might not necessarily have a network or Internet connection, you're still going to have updated anti-virus and anti-malware signatures. So once you get there, what you would do is just go ahead and start the scan and you can tell it what kind of scan you want and a lot of anti-malware programs have some of these same options; a smart scan that only scans certain critical files and processes and then a full scan that will look at the entire system. Now, if you're really infected you might want to do that full scan. If you're just checking things occasionally in normal mode, smart scan is probably OK. But I tend to do a full scan more often than anything else. You can also, if you suspect a particular folder or file is infected, you can do a custom scan and tailor that scan to what you would like to be checked. We can go ahead and do a full scan and also schedule a scan also, by the way and I would recommend that you do this on a normal basis when you're in normal mode when you're not infected. But I'm showing you, the technique I'm showing you now is how to do this when you are infected and you may not necessarily can clean a piece of malware in normal mode. That's why we're in safe mode as you can see from here from the top. Let's go ahead and start the scan and it's going to go ahead and start and it's going to scan the entire drive. We've told it a full scan. We've got an updated definitions file so it's going to start the scan and then we're going to be able to do this in safe mode and that's a very good thing because you'll be able to catch and eliminate a lot of malware that you might not normally catch in normal mode. It started to scan, as you can see, so it's scanning the registry and some other files as well and it's going to go through and scan the file system, registries, processes, certain key things on the computer and that's what you want. You want to go through and do a thorough job of getting rid of malware wherever it's at. So we're going to go ahead and let it scan for a few minutes and then we'll take a look at what the scan results are. OK, our Ad-Aware scan is complete. It didn't really find a lot of things to be honest with you. No critical objects, privacy objects it found a few things and those are primarily cookies and so forth and we can actually go ahead and click Finish. It detected 14 items all together and total scanning time of ten minutes and this was, this is a very small hard drive with not a lot installed so it would take longer on a machine that has a bigger hard drive and lots of programs. Let's go ahead and click Finish and it's going to tell us, it's going to ask us how it wants to handle these objects. Let's click No here and let's make sure that we've got everything selected here and we do and we're going to remove everything. And we can set a system restore point that'll go back to a previous state if there's a problem. We can go ahead and scan again or do a wide variety of things. Let's go ahead and close it for now and that's actually what, an example of what a really good anti-malware program is, especially one that will run in safe mode in Windows and help you detect and eliminate those types of malware that might not be so easily removed from normal mode.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.