So in this video we're going to go ahead and look at the Blend Node. Now in order to do that, we've got a file, so I'm going to go to File, Open and come into the Work Files in the 03 Folder and get the Blend.SBS file. Now if we twirl this open, you'll see that we do have a Jason underscore SVG file that's already in this and I've already set up a couple of other inputs that we're going to be working with. Now these are just the sample materials, the Asphalt Sample Material and the Rough Sample Material that we found in the Templates, Samples Materials Folder. And I'm going to cover how I set up this SVG file in the SVG chapter, so for right now don't worry so much about how I set that up, just go ahead and follow along with what happens with our Blend Node. So I'm going to go ahead and hit the Spacebar, bring in our Blend Node and what I want to primarily focus on here, if we come over here to Fit in View, is our inputs. We have a Foreground Input, a Background Input, which is also our Primary Input as you can tell by this.in the center and then we have an Opacity Input. Now both the foreground and background will take both color or black and white but the opacity will only take black and white. So I'm just going to come back down here and say Fit in View like so, so that we can see our whole graph. Now what I want to do, is take the Diffuse Outputs from our Asphalt and from our Rough and put those into our foreground and background and double-click on our Blend Node. Now right off the bat, when we're working with our Blend Node, under Specific Parameters, you're going to see something that works an awful lot like layers do in most 2D Graphics Applications like Photoshop. The first slider that we have here is Opacity and we can control the opacity of the blending between these two layers by simply changing the Opacity Slider. We can also control whether or not we're going to be getting Alpha Blending. If there was any transparency in these two images, we could control how those are going to blend, whether they are going to blend or whether they would be no blending whatsoever. Now the other function of this Alpha Blending is that, if there is no need for Alpha to be blending then usually you want to set it to false because that's going to save on processing time. Now below that we have our Blending Modes and these work just like Blending Modes that you would find layers in typical 2D Graphic Applications. We have Add which is also Linear Dodge, Subtract, Multiply, Add Sub, Max which is lighten, and Min which is darken. In addition to that we have Switch, which is sort of a special thing which we'll come back to in a future lesson but the bottom line here is that, instead of trying to explain to you the technical ways that these guys work, because that won't tell you too much. What I'll instead say is, just go ahead and try the various different modes working with some different inputs and you'll find pretty quickly that you get an understanding just visually of what these guys are doing and how they might be useful to you in various different ways. But for right now, I'm going to leave it on Copy which is the same thing as normal blending. Now below that we have the Cropping Area and the basic idea here is that we can use this to quickly crop down are top image away so that we only see that in part of the mix between the two. Now the Cropping Shape is something that I'm not going to cover and the reason why is because this has been depreciated and it most likely won't even be here in the next version of Substance Designer. So let's just go ahead and ignore that for right now and instead we're going to focus on what happens when we go ahead and put in something into our Opacity Input. So if I do that right now, you'll see immediately that we get that signature that is masking out everything but the Asphalt that falls within the white area of this mask. Now the interesting thing here is, that if we wanted to change the opacity of this, we would not be able to and the reason why is because the opacity is no longer controlled by this slider but by the gray scale values in this. Which is the reason why I put this Levels Node in between our SVG and our Opacity Input for our Blend. So if I just come over and click once on our Levels Node so that I can still maintain the invisibility of my Blend Node Output, I can come over here and change this slider here which is my Black Control for my Black Output and you can see that I'm gradually bringing in the opacity of the rest of that stuff. So the idea here is that you can still have a black and white image that's going to have a fairly high contrast and by using a Levels Node, you can control the opacity the same way that you would control the opacity using the Opacity Slider right here. So that's the Blend Node in it's basic form. Now the thing that you need to know about the Blend Node is that, is the node that you are most likely going to use in Substance Designer all the time. It's just something that you're going to have to get familiar with, try a lot of different inputs and the different Blending Modes and opacities and masks because at the end of the day, this is the thing. If you don't understand anything else about working within Substance Designer, if you don't understand how to use Blend Node, then you're really going to be stuck pretty quickly. Because it's sort of like the lynch pin of everything else. So the Blend Node is very, very important.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.