I'm going to look at something in this tutorial that, well to be honest you might never use. Or if you are like me when you are building up a music video project then it might be something that you use quite considerably, i.e. you'll be able to use this particular technique very frequently and it will save you some time. I'm talking about nesting a project or project nesting as this tutorial is called. Now let me just explain what project nesting is. Think of one project as your tree and this tree contains quite a number of different files, be them audio or video. And this project supports with it's branches shall we call them, this project supports another project, a second project and the second project becomes embedded like a nest within a tree, becomes embedded within our first project. Okay. Now that actually sounds much more complicated than it is. So let me talk you through the process. As you can probably see at the moment I've got a brand new empty project. I've not saved it yet, it's still called Untitled and within my Project Media I've got all my video files. And if I flick back over to my Explorer Panel then you'll see the exact same video files there. All I've done is I've brought them all into my project. This isn't completely necessary. With the two projects that we are going to create and we'll call VTC Nest 1 and VTC Nest 2. With each individual project you only really need to bring in the video files in our case, using video files, you only really need to bring in those video files that you are using within your project. Anyway, that said I have brought them all into my project. I just wanted to clarify that you don't need to. Right. Let me move back over to my Project Media Panel. Okay. So as I say these are all my video files, I'm not going to use them all, I'm just going to use a couple of them and I'm going to use them in my VTC Nest 1 project. At the moment we haven't got a project called that, so let's do something about it. I'll come down here and click on Save Button and I'll give this a name, VTC Nest 1 and I'll hit Save. Right then let's populate this project. I'll grab the first three video files there, left-click and drag them down onto my timeline. Ah right then now you might or you might not see this particular dialog box. Now this is just information asking me, do I want to set up my project with it's video settings so that they match these videos? Well, I may as well so I'll click on Yes. Okay. And as we would expect we now see out three video files brought in on our timeline. Okay. And if I zoom in then we'll see all three. I might need to horizontally scroll across but there you go, those are my three files. And because I've brought these files in after I've saved my project I'll hit Save once more. Okay. Now I could carry on building up this project this VTC Nest 1 project to be as complex as I need. However, just for illustration purposes I'm going to leave it as it is because what I want to do now is create a second project and I'll call that one VTC Nest 2. So I'll close this one down, VTC Nest 1. I'll come up to file and then roll down to Close. And once more because we are starting from scratch effectively, I'm going to bring in all these different video files. Now remember I don't need to bring them all in, I'm just doing it out of habit. So I'll have them all selected and then I'll right-click and roll down to my third option there, Add to Project Media List. And once more by flicking back over to my Project Media Panel then there we go. As expected all these video files have been brought in ready for me to use them whether it's all of them or some of them within this new project, the one I'm going to be calling VTC Nest 2. So that's my next step. I'll grab some of these video files, I'll go for these bottom three, left-click and drag down onto my timeline. Once again I'll confirm I want my project to match my videos and there we go, we get those three files brought in. Right. It's still called Untitled at the moment so I need to click on the Save Button here. And to differentiate it from the first project named as VTC Nest 1, well I'm going to call this one VTC Nest 2 as I said a few moments ago. And I'll hit Save. Right. That's the process of building two separate projects. Now what we want to be able to do is have one project VTC Nest 1 as being our main project, the tree with it's supporting branches that carries the weight of the second project VTC Nest 2 as the nested project. So let's come back up here to File and roll down to Close. And then I need to open up my first project. So I'll click on this button, the second one along there so that I can navigate to the particular folder on my hard drive where I saved this Vegas Pro project, VTC Nest 1. Okay. There it is, so once I found it, I'll select it and hit Open. Okay easy enough. And all fairly straightforward. There is our original project VTC Nest 1 open. Now if I go to the end of it, although I could really embed or nest our second project wherever I want to but for illustration purposes I'm going to come to here. I'll place my CTI there and now so that I can nest my second project inside or within this first project, this is what we do. This time go back up to File and roll down there to where it says Import. Fly-out to the right to that first option Media, select it and then once more navigate to the folder on your hard drive where you saved your second project. Okay. Here it is. I'll select it and hit Open. And well we're nearly done. So far what we've done is we've brought in this VTC Nest 2 project as an asset. And there you can see it in my Project Media Tab. What I need to be able to do is send this down onto my timeline. So I'll left-click on it and drag and drop down onto my timeline just after my first project's files. Okay. And there we go it's as simple as that. We've now brought in a different project with all the different settings that we might have made to that project and however complex it might have been. Now I know we only had a project of three files but you understand the principle. So now that second project VTC Nest 2 has been opened inside VTC Nest 1.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.