We're going to move forward now and in this tutorial, we're going to look at something called the Command Bar. I want to look at this Command Bar function because it allows me to add in some textual information. So whilst I'm building a project and I want to see at a glance where I am then I could use the Command Bar to add in some textual information for example. When you add a command in fact what you're actually doing is adding metadata. In this project, that we are working on at the moment, well in this video file we are adding metadata or a comment to this file. Now if you're not sure metadata is, I think the best thing to do is open up the Command Bar and then show you what metadata is by adding it in to our Command Bar. So I'll show you this in action now. It's easy enough when I want to add a command. Just go up to Insert on your Menu there and then run right down to the very last option, the bottom option there where it says Command. And you'll notice the shortcut there is C. Okay. So simply click on it and then now that you do you'll see this Command Bar user interface open up. Okay. Let me show you what's involved when we want to add a comment here within our Command Bar. What I'll do is I'll go through the process a few times so that you can see it in action and how it instantly updates on our timeline, well in the Command Bar area on our timeline. Okay. So I'll start by adding a command. What I'll do is in this field where it says URL at the moment, well I don't want to provide a web link although as you can see I could very easily do this by leaving it at URL and then adding in a web link. But I'll change it by clicking on the drop reveal there and I'll change it to text that's what I want to add in. I want to add some text and because I want to add some text, well I'll move down to my Comment Field and what I'll do is I'll type in the location where I filmed this particular video. It was actually filmed at a club called the Osale Rooms. I'll come down here so by typing in Osale Rooms there, I've added my first comment to this Command Bar. Or in other words I've added some metadata and metadata in this case is textual information that gets embedded within our file. Now I'm using the embedded carefully because what's happening is, yes I'm adding this text so that we can see it here within Vegas Pro 12. However, in my final movie this text won't be visible to anybody, it's just hidden text shall we say? It's metadata that we are using so that we can follow the construction of our project by adding in text like this, adding in comments so that we can see them as we work along our timeline. So as I say once you convert your finished project to a DVD for example you won't see any of this metadata, you won't see any of these comments, it is just embedded information. One possible use for this is maybe further down the project construction process you have a coworker working on your project and by adding in comments along our timeline, you can be feeding information to your coworker about something that you might want to apply at a certain point. Maybe 18 seconds along you want to add a filter or something like that. Or maybe you want to add a cross fade, whatever. So by adding information like this, yes you are providing a prompt for yourself and you are providing a prompt for somebody else. Do note my position is set at zero there and that's because my playhead the CTI, the Current Time Indicator is right at the beginning of our project at zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, i.e. right at the beginning in terms of hours, minutes, seconds and frames. So I'm all done, I'll click on OK. As a result now we see the Command Bar revealed here just above our timeline and we see the word text indicated at zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, i.e. the beginning of our project to indicate it's been added at this position. Remember that's because the CTI prior to opening up the Command Bar user interface was set right at the beginning of our project. That doesn't mean you can't adjust the comment once you've got the user interface open, you can and I'll show you this in a second. But in this case we didn't move the position away from the CTI. Now if we want to see what this text is, where it says text there, just double-click on it and now we'll see the comment that we added in. Remember we wrote in Osale Rooms. Okay. So that's the information that we entered. Let me go through this again, we'll add another command. What I'll do is I'll move my CTI over here to this position and therefore ostensibly we're going to add in a comment at this position. However, what I'll do is once I've opened up I might very well move it to a different position. So I'll go to Insert once more, then run down to Command to open up our user interface. Now before I do anything else let's look at this Command Bar user interface in a little bit more detail. Now at present at the top there it says Template and in this Template Field, this is indicated at the moment as untitled. If I want to change this of course then I can type in a new name that I might want to use as a template over and over again. So throughout a project if I thought I was going to use a template over and over again then I would give this a relevant name. And it's easy enough to save it, you can see just to the right there is a Save Button. Now I'm not going to save the information here, I'm just running through it with you. So I'll leave it as it is. Right. Let's just choose a different command, this time I'll click on my drop reveal here and of course I can choose from any of these options. What I'll do is I'll run down there to Author so I can add in my name. Well actually what I'll do is I'll add in Virtual Training Company or VTC and then in a few moments time I'll subsequently add in my name. So in the Comment Field there I'll type in VTC, it's quicker than typing in Virtual Training Company. Now as I alluded to a few minutes ago, we're not set in stone here with our position. This is just the position referenced at the moment because that's where our CTI is. I can change this from the CTI position of 14 seconds or thereabouts anyway. I can alter my position here, what I'll do is I'll make this 18 seconds. So by just typing in there 18 seconds and zero frames and I'll OK it. As a result we see the metadata information Command state author and this is at the new position of 18 seconds. And of course double-clicking on it reveals the comment that we added in, VTC. Now we don't have to leave it like this, just because it says aVTC, we could add some extra information as I said a few moments ago. So by making sure it's open I'll just add in, well I'll add in a hyphen and then I'll add in my name. And as soon as I click away then as a result we see that command Author and if I want to see what this prompt is well by double-clicking on it once more I see VTC Mark Struthers. As a result that shows the full command information. Okay. So that's the Command Bar and how we can use it to add metadata via the user interface.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.