In this tutorial what I want to do is look more closely at one of the parts of this user interface, the Toolbar and adjust it so that it suits the way that we want to work. We'll also look further down our user interface whereby we'll look at the time display. So first of all we'll look at out Toolbar. Now as you can see at the moment these options are the ones that are available and they range from being able to create a new empty project and then to the right, we could click on the Properties Button. And moving right across to the right well we'll see a Help Button. If we want to alter what's on display here in terms of the order or indeed exactly what is on display. Maybe we want to remove some of these buttons well let me show you how we can do this. Now even if I do make some go missing that doesn't mean that I can't get them back subsequently. Well it's simple enough to do this, just run up to your Options Menu, click and roll right down here where we see this option, Customize Toolbar. Once you click on it then of course you're going to see this user interface. It looks fairly innocuous but of it is very powerful. You'll notice just at a cursory glance that it's made up of two panes. Focusing our attention on the left-hand side well you can see that I've got a list here and this list allows me to choose from all the available button options. And then by moving our attention to the right-hand pane whatever shows up in there will be exactly what we have on display populated in our Toolbar area. Now in my opinion what you do choose to display here will be based on two factors. Which of these buttons you use the most and perhaps to a lesser degree your monitor width. For example, if I want to remove this option, the option to display interactive tutorials. Well first of all I would select it, then in the right-hand side there, in the right-hand pane, simply click on here this Remove Button and immediately this Interactive Tutorials Option becomes unavailable on our Toolbar. Now of course to return back to where we were and bring this back in, move your attention back over to the left-hand pane, select it once more and then come over here and click on Add. Easy enough. That's how easy it is when we want to add or remove a button. But maybe we don't want to add or remove a button, we simply want to reorder or reposition the way these buttons run from left to right on our Toolbar. Well it's just as easy as well. Go back over to your left-hand pane, then notice this list of available buttons is vertically presented to us. Notice from top to bottom this relates to the Toolbar running left to right. So what we see here vertically top to bottom, the top on our Toolbar will be our left button. And what we see at the bottom will be the furthest right button. So for example with our Properties Button maybe I want to reposition it so that it's before the button that's there at present. Well all I need to do is select Properties and then simply click on this Move Up Button remembering that the further up our vertical list then the further in reality on our Toolbar they will be towards the left-hand side. And as you can see now in our user interface here that has moved it up by one position and as a consequence, notice also instantly it gets moved on our Toolbar to the left. Now no prizes for guessing to move it back, i.e. to reposition it to the right again then we would have to simply lower it in our vertical list in the user interface here. So by having Properties selected once more all I need to do is simply click on Move Down. Consequently it now gets moved to the right on our Toolbar and as you can see it's updated instantly once more. Okay. So that's easy then when we want to adapt our buttons on our Toolbar. Now I'm actually going to leave them as they are, I don't really want to change them. I might do as the course progresses but certainly not for the moment. So I'll close this. Now what I want to look at now is the time display as I said earlier on in this tutorial. What I'll do is add a video clip to our timeline first of all. So I'll go up to File and then roll down to Import and then fly-out to the right across to that option there media. Now we have seen how we do this before. I'll open it up in the same way and there you'll see my thumbnail preview as we have seen before. And also as we've seen before if I double-click on it then it instantly gets sent down to my timeline and added of course to my track list. Right. Let me just explain this. The Time Display Window well it shows the time position that my cursor is at on my timeline. And therefore at present if I move my cursor to the end of the clip, then of course we see the cursor position is at the end of the clip and the time display updates to inform us of that clips length. And that's reflected in the time display. Therefore the time display here shows this positional reference. By the way if you want to alter the readout of your time display, i.e. the way that is shows up then all you need to do is simply right-click on it and then choose from any of these different options. Now I'm going to leave it as it is. Now as we progress through this VTC course if I do need to change the way that this time is displayed, then I will change it appropriately. As I say for the moment I'm going to leave it as it is. But should you want to, that's where you find that option. So then if I move my cursor then we'll see the precise readout on our time display where my cursor is. And this is accurate at this setting right down to frame level. If I take my cursor right to the beginning then of course my time display will display at zero in terms of hours, minutes, seconds and frames. But of course if I subsequently move the CTI, my Current Time Indicator then the time display updates to reflect where it is now repositioned. Now there is one more thing I want to look at before we conclude this tutorial. At the moment my time display is fixed here. However, should I want to adapt it and move it to a different position on my user interface, well I can do that just as easily as I did with my Toolbar. At the moment because it is secure in one place it's known as a docked panel. If I want to make the time display float around so that I can move it around my user interface as I'm working on a project rather than it being docked, well I can do this by grabbing those dots there. See those dots? Well that's known as a gripper and if I left-click on those dots I can grip onto this time display, left-click and drag and reposition so that it floats above all the other panels. Now if I want to take it back to where we started, down here, then all I would do is left-click on it. Now I'm not going to see those dots, those gripping dots when it's floating around but it works in exactly the same way. Left-click on it and drag down back to here where we originated declick and there you go. It now becomes docked once more. Okay. Simple enough. Right. We'll conclude this tutorial then now that we've looked at how we can easily adapt our Toolbar and our time display.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.