I think that most of us who do video editing prefer to work with a large monitor. It means of course we can see much more on our screen. For these tutorials we do record them at a relatively small size and as a consequence it might mean that whilst you are watching through this course, things might seem a little bit cramped. As I say I prefer to work with a larger monitor and you can see it here I'll just zoom in and once I do zoom in then at this tutorial size, well you can see that in view I can see my Explorer and my Trimmer Window just to the right. Now what I'm going to do in this tutorial is look at how we can adapt what's known as a workspace so that we can take advantage of whatever our monitor size is. And whilst we're doing this I'm going to show you a new feature in terms of what we can do when we create a new docked panel. Now before we get to that stage let me just go through what we've got here. As you can see I've got my Explorer Tab open but if I want to open up a different panel, then by clicking on any of these tabs down here as we've seen before, allows me to instantly flick over to that particular panel. For example, if I click on the Project Media Tab, then of course my Project Media Panel opens up. And there you'll see all the files, all these movie files that so far I've brought into my project. This Gun 1 project and they're being displayed as thumbnails. For the past few versions of Vegas we've been able to do this and just in case you can't see thumbnails, well remember just by clicking on this drop-down arrow here, then you'll see I can flick between three different options List, Details and as it is at the moment Thumbnail. Now if I return to my Explorer Panel and then click on here then you'll now see an option Thumbnails that we have seen before during this course. But we've not always had it within Vegas Pro. Just before we look at it once more let me click on Details which now means as we've seen earlier in this course, we not only just see the file name, we get these extra details as well. If you want to resize these columns by the way just roll your mouse over that small vertical dividing line, left-click and then just drag either to the left or to the right to resize that particular column. And if you can't see all the information in these columns then just use the horizontal scrollbar right down at the bottom. Or you could enlarge the panel. Right. As I say something fairly new then. By clicking on here once more, well I'll choose Thumbnails and there you go, you'll now see a thumbnail view of all the separate video files that I've got on my system in this particular video folder. They're not necessarily part of my project yet, this is just the Sony Vegas Explorer that allows me to search my hard drive, looking for any particular files that I do want to bring in to my project. And if I move down to the bottom of my screen then you'll see as we brought in, in the last tutorial, here are those two files that I used. One is a subclip and one is a file that I brought into my timeline and trimmed it on the timeline. Right. Let's go back up to the top left of our screen because what I want to do is do what I said a few moments ago in that I'm going to create a floating dock. And within my floating dock I'm going to place some of these panels. Now I'm showing you this because well partially some of it is new in the way that we can dock certain panels within our floating dock. But also so that you can see that even if you've got limited space on your monitor then you can have a floating dock to help maximize what you have actually got. For example with my Explorer Panel here if I click on these gripper dots and drag out to the right, then you can see that this is now not docked where it was. It's now floating above our user interface. Now I'm just going to resize it so that we can see it better. Okay. Now at the moment of course it's just this panel, this Explorer Panel but if I want to combine it with other panels, maybe I want to combine it with my Trimmer Window for example. Let me just move this down a bit, then by grabbing the gripper here, left-click then I can drop it within this Explorer Panel to create this new docked floating area. Okay. So we've now got them by side by side, my Explorer on the left and my Trimmer on the right. I'll just enlarge it a little bit more and resize so that they're almost identical in terms of size. Now you'll notice up here where it said Explorer a few moments ago when we just had the Explorer Tab, the Explorer Panel floating around, well now that's been removed because we've now got a dock. And here as you can see it says Vegas Pro Dock because this is a docked combination of two panels at the moment. We'll add another one in a second. What I'll do is I'll choose my Project Media Panel. Okay. So this one down here. Now by coming up to the Project Media Gripper, left-click and then drag on top of my Vegas Pro Dock here where I want it to be positioned. And there you go, it's now been docked below my Explorer Panel. So not only do we get a vertical division within this dock. Now with Vegas Pro 12 we can add horizontal divisions as well. And of course you would resize this to suit your monitor space which means if you are predominantly working in a certain area on the main user interface then you can move this Vegas Pro Dock to a different position, slightly out of your eyesight. And of course all these panels do work in the same way as they did before. For example, if I left-click on this thumbnail here, I can drag it over to my Trimmer Window and it works exactly the same way. I can flick through it wherever I where want to be, if I want to create a subclip. I'm not going to I'm just showing you that this is still available as a function. Okay. So that's how we create a dock then made up multiple panels. Now if you want to save this dock so that you can use it across different projects or indeed if you want to revert back to how we started, then the way to do is to come to your third option here, View on your Menu Bar. Roll down to the third option there, Window Layouts and then fly-out to the right and if you want to save this so that you can use it later on, on a different project, then click on Save Layout As. I'm not going to bother, I'm going to go back to where I was which is the default layout. So I'll click on Default Layout. Consequently as expected we now go back to how we started okay? Easy enough then. That's what we can do when we want to create a new panel workspace not just with the normal user interface and move things around but also if we want to include a floating dock. Okay. Right. We'll finish up here then for this tutorial and in fact we'll finish up for this section.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.