Right. We'll continue our investigation then of how we move things around on our timeline, i.e. we'll be constructing sequences and these sequences will be constructed by following up what we did in the previous tutorial where we explored or at least looked at how we can trim any of our files, be it audio or video so that we don't use the whole clip within our project. Now you'll remember in our previous tutorial we got as far as setting up an in point and out point that looped around or created a region around a couple of bars of this song that the band are playing. Now this is our in point here or at least this is where I want my in point to be. So I'll set an in point, come across to this button and click on it and once done, well that sets my in point. And therefore because I've got an in point and an outpoint there, if I click on our Play Button, now you won't be able to hear it because I've muted the audio, but our playhead is looping around our in point and out point. And the in point was set on the beginning of a bar and the out point is set at the beginning of different bar of this particular song. And I've done this because I want this section to be part of my finished video. Now my cursor is at the beginning of this region, this ranged area. So a quick way of moving it to the end is by using the shortcut, Control with the right arrow key. Now at the moment set like this all I've really done is created a looped area that here within my Trimmer Window I can loop round and round. What I want to do is end up with a new clip created from this small section and I want to place newly created clip into my Project Media Panel so that I can then subsequently use it when I'm constructing a sequence on my timeline. Now at the moment if you look very carefully just at this ranged area, well you can see that the ranged area between my in point and my out point isn't highlighted in any way. Yes it is just above, that thin blue band to indicate my in point and my out point. But my audio track there isn't highlighted in any way. But if I come over here to my Out Point Button to set an out point, then notice on my timeline, well you can just about see that, that area is now highlighted. And this means now if I want to create a shortened version of just this area then I can do to place down on my timeline. Once I have placed it in my Project Media Panel first of all. Now just before we get to that step do notice above here the name of this particular file and we can see that it finishes with the number 2244. Well what I want to be able to do is create a short section from this and Vegas will allow me to do it. And what the procedure is to create a new area is well we're going to create what's known as a subclip. A subclip as it's name indicates is part of the main clip and to be able to do it we just need to come down over here to this button and once I click on it, then you can see with this small dialog box, this Create Subclip Dialog Box that I can either give it a new name of my choosing or I can leave the name that Vegas has chosen for me. And the name is very similar of course to the original name. It's the exact file name but with the addition of Subclip 1 at the end there. Now all I need to do is simply click on OK. Right. We're done. Now at the moment you're not going to see that subclip named here in my Explorer Window because I've not brought it into my project yet. It's been created but I've not brought it into this area here. And in all honesty I don't really need to because I'm going to find it in a moment in the Project Media Panel. Right. I'm going to do a little bit of housekeeping. I'm going to remove this clip, this main clip from our Trimmer Window by clicking on here. Now what's that done of course is remove it from our Trimmer Window, it's not deleted it from my hard drive in anyway. Now whilst I've been setting up this tutorial for you, I've been running through it with different clips. So I need to close these down as well. Now I purposely left them here so that you can see that we can stack as many different clips as we want within this Window here. And if I use the drop arrow, I'm not going to at the moment but if I use the drop reveal arrow there, I could select from any of these files that I've been viewing. As it is I'm going to remove them. So I'm going to click on here again and a couple more times as well. Okay. And so in here in my Recently Viewed List well as you can see it says None. Right. Let's go down over to our Project Media Panel by clicking on here and there you'll see my subclip. And of course if you look closely at it then of course you can see it's based on our first clip, the one to it's left. But by scrutinizing the thumbnail view then you'll see the camera zoomed in just slightly at this point and therefore we can see Josh just a little bit more clearly. And also with our subclip we can see the appended name there, Subclip 1 added to the main clip's name. And of course if I wanted to add this to my timeline, well I just simply need to double-click on it. As we've seen a few times already that now sends it down onto my timeline adding the video to the video track in our track list and it's embedded audio to my audio track on track 2 there, in my track list. Now I'm just going to zoom in and I'm doing this just slightly off screen. Okay. There we go. Right. That's the principle then when we want to build up or construct a sequence on our timeline. It's not the only way of doing it but it is the method that I tend to use most. I will take the main clip into my Trimmer Window and then trim away parts I don't want and just retain the bit I do want and then send that down to the timeline. And then by doing this I can build up a fill sequence using just the elements that I want to use. Hence we construct our sequence from smaller parts. Now do you remember me saying in the previous tutorial, towards the end of the tutorial that I didn't accurately set the in and out points? I was close but not exact. Well that doesn't really matter because now down on my timeline and because I've got a much larger viewing area then I can be much more precise with my edit. Okay. So it's not set in stone what you trim within the Trimmer Window. So if I want to trim this clip for example then I can do, just roll your mouse over the end, left-click and drag to the left to remove some of the clip. And of course you would go the other way if you wanted to add some. Bearing in mind you can only add as far as the original clip allows. And then now I can left-click on another clip and rather than taking it to my Trimmer Window which is what I would normally do, I could now just drag that down onto my timeline. Then I can trim it, maybe I'll take some of the beginning away and then drag it so that it lines up with the end of our first clip, this subclip. And so you can see the principle then. This is how we construct a sequence albeit we've only used two clips here. But this is the principle of how we construct a sequence and by developing this by using lots of different subclips, then the end result will be a finished video.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.