Now that we've taken a look at most of the things here in our Interface and, actually, I'd say that we've taken a look at most everything, let's take a look at how we can set up some of the Preferences that are available to us inside of Scribus. Actually, depending on how familiar you are with Desktop Publishing applications, this particular movie may not matter that much to you. However, it's going to be important that we do cover it here to demonstrate the flexibility of Scribus to allow you to work the way that makes the most sense to you. Now, some of these settings will not be of interest to us for this course, either, so I will only be examining some of the specific sections in this dialog. Another important thing to mention is that you have Application Level settings in Document Level settings. If you make these changes when a document is open you'll need to go to the File Menu and do the Document Setup. This is going to launch the Document Setup dialog box where you can configure things specifically for this open document. However, if you're wanting to change it for the entire application for new documents that are created in the future you'll need to go to the Preferences. I'm going to go ahead and Cancel out of here and go to the File Menu and bring up Preferences. So, as you can see, the Preferences dialog box looks a little bit like the other Document dialog box but we end up having some other information here. Now, we are going to look at some very specific sections in here, but in the future perhaps after you get done with all of these movies, I recommend that you come back and look at the Preferences to see how it could possibly change how you work with Scribus because it's going to give you a lot of flexibility and control over how the application works. So, for starters, we end up having the General category and this allows us to designate what Language we're using so depending on which language you're using you can end up coming in here and setting this. I am speaking the American dialect of English and so I can change that. You also have the ability to change your Theme, so depending on what theme you prefer you can change it here. I'm going to go and just leave it to default, but if wanted to you can change it to any of those other things, just, you know, feel free to experiment in there. You're not going to really break anything. The Font Size for many items is set to 8 points. Font Size for Palettes is 8 points. The Wheel Jump is going to control how much your scroll wheel is going to be jumping there. Here's that Recent Documents and I was mistaken, it is going to be set to 5 rather than 10, but if you need to, you can change that to whatever number you want. You also have Paths here for documents so you can change that, so if you need to you can change it to whatever location. ICC Profiles for color management, a Scripts file path and a Document Templates path. Let's go ahead and move on here and we have the Document. Now the Document Group is going to allow us to change what the defaults are for every time that we create a new document, so if we find that we're having to create magazines with multiple page layouts, kind of like what we have here, where we have a left facing page and a right facing page, we have what's referred to as a Facing Pages Layout with a Left Page and a Right Page. So if we find that we're going to be doing a lot of that work we might want to say it's double-sided, just so that we don't have to configure that setup every single time we start Scribus. I'm going to actually go ahead and leave that to the Single here, but you can also change the Page Size and Margin Guides and we're going to end up seeing this whenever we create a document. If you're creating similar documents it might make sense for you to come in and set this up to this specific document type that you create most often. We also have control over our Guides including what color those guides are going to be and what color the Margins are. So, really, there's a different color for Margin Lines and for our Guidelines, so if you need to, you can change those things. And notice it's placing our Guides and Documents in the background so wherever I was dragging the Guides in, if you recall, I said you couldn't see it because it went to the background, well, you can control it here if you want it to be in the foreground. You also have some other things you can turn on such as your Grid and a Baseline Grid. Now, next is the Typography section where it's going to allow you to change Displacement and Scaling and various options for things like Superscripts, Subscripts, Underlining, Strikethrough, Small Caps and Automatic Line Spacing. This Automatic Line Spacing is something that's referred to as Leading in the area of Typography and that's just controlling how much space is between one line and the next line. Now, the line spacing here is saying 20 percent. It's talking about 20 percent over the font size. Now, in other applications it ends up being listed as 120 percent, but this is basically the same thing. Here we have control over tools, so what the default settings are for Textboxes, Picture Frames and so forth. Hyphenation, controlling hyphenation. Fonts, this is going to give you a list of all of your fonts as well as some font substitutions that you might want to make. Settings for the Preflight Verifier, Color Management settings, PF Export settings, Document Item Attributes, so you can have it automatically tag things for you. Table of Contents and Index Creation. Keyboard Shortcuts. So here's that Keyboard Shortcuts I mentioned in a previous movie. So if you want to you can say Select this Collect for Output and I want to have a User Defined Key for this and I click Set Key and then I'll press a key, I did Ctrl-D and because it was already in use it says: This key sequence is already in use. So I click OK and I'm not able to set that. But if this were not in use and actually I can select that and say No Key and then set that again, it would be set. So that's how you can configure your Keyboard Shortcuts. You also have some other controls here for Display, so Page Display and a Scratch Space - that's the Pasteboard that I was mentioning. External Tools, this is telling us where our PostScript Interpreter is, which is that Ghostscript that we installed and then our Image Processing Tool, so we can actually have Scribus launch our default Image Processing Tool, such as GIMP, right inside of Scribus by right-clicking on it and then just saying Edit Image. So, pretty cool stuff. So you also have some Miscellaneous things, some Plugins, Short Words and Scripters. So, that covers our Preferences dialog box and, as I mentioned, we're not really all that interested in everything that's in here right now, however, once you get familiar with the way that Scribus works you probably will want to come in here and change these different things. I'm going to go ahead and just cancel out of this just in case I've changed something I didn't mean to and that concludes our look at our Preferences as well as this section on the Scribus Interface.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.