Now that we've installed Solaris 11, we've also looked at the installation, we've verified that it installed properly and everything works. Now what happens when it doesn't work? Well fortunately Solaris 11 is a very robust, very easy to use, easy to install and actually does a very good job of detecting hardware and resolving issues on it's own. However, things can go wrong occasionally but to be honest there's not too much that can go wrong. There's some hardware planning issues that may cause problems and there's some other issues as well. Let's take a look at some of those. First of all the obvious is what we want to check, let's look at the media we're trying to install from. In other words when you've downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD ROM, you want to make sure that it's a good CD, that it's not scratched or scuffed up. You also want to make sure that it's been recorded into a format that your CD ROM Reader can read and detect. So if you've got a good media and you've tested it out and it works fine and you've got a good CD ROM on your system, then that shouldn't be a problem. Now if you're installing from across the network, maybe you've booted from the Text Installer and you're relying on network installation files, then there could be issues if you don't have the correct network server settings. What you want to make sure is that you've got the correct server possibly the server name and the correct IP address and make sure that the server is configured to serve out the installation files properly. Typically you will create that server and it's files with the Automated Installer. And that's again a different subject for a different time, that's not part of the objectives we're talking about at this time. In any event that's what you would use to make that network server work and do what you want it to do, is using the Automated Installer. So there maybe issues on the network server side as well. On the client side, the one you're trying to install make sure that you have good network connectivity and you're that connecting to the right server. Now one of the bigger things that can go wrong, typically during an installation is the hardware. There can be hardware issues and actually this is where planning comes into play. Often you may think that any old hardware will work so you try to install it and maybe it seems to go well until it suddenly stops or errors out or throws an error message or something like that. What you might want to do is check your hardware compatibility first before you start and there's a list of hardware compatibility on Oracle's site. You also may want to check and make sure your hardware is functioning properly. If you have say a hard disk array, maybe a SCSI array, make sure that it works before you try to install, make sure your network card is working. Make sure you have the right and proper amount of RAM. Make sure your video is working. Sometimes people may try to install it on an older machine because Solaris doesn't require an awful lot and maybe the piece of hardware is compatible with Solaris but it just doesn't work. So check that if there are issues. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements and we talked about what those were when we discussed the Installers. In the end you're probably going to have to replace any faulty hardware that you may find or any incompatible hardware. Or you may wind up installing on a different system. One of the things that we discussed earlier with verifying the installation is actually looking at the Installation Log and we're not going to look at that again. But you can locate that in slash var / sadm slash System slash Logs slash Install underscore Log. That's assuming that your system does actually install to the point where you can get to see the log. If you don't get that far then obviously the log is going to be incomplete and not do you any good anyway. So you'll have to troubleshoot error messages as you get them. There may be error messages with RAM, CPU or hard disk space or the hard disk array. One of the common mistakes that a lot of people make and yours truly is one of those people, is in trying to install Solaris 11 on a 32-bit processor. Solaris 11 is a 64-bit operating system and as such requires a 64-bit processor. So don't make the mistake of popping it into any old 32-bit machine and thinking that you can install it. It typically will not work and you'll get some really funny error messages that may not lead you to the right conclusion initially. So the moral of this story is you may also want to look on Oracle's site and try to troubleshoot any error messages you see with them. They actually have a very comprehensive troubleshooting source on their site, under Solaris 11. And this will help you out a lot. The other thing you can do is assuming you can boot into the system is check your system messages. You'd typically type in D-M-E-S-G at a Command prompt assuming you can get to one and it will give you all the system messages that have occurred since boot. And what you'll see is any errors there and you may have to track down several of them because there could be errors that corrected themselves and there could be errors that did not correct themselves. So you'll have to look through your D Message List to see what there is out there and try to trace that back to the issue that caused the installation problem in the first place. So it can be a little bit difficult but typically it's going to be some kind of hardware issue that's going to be your main issue more than likely or faulty media or faulty network connection. So again troubleshooting is not that difficult with Solaris 11 because there's not a lot that can go wrong. Usually you can narrow it down to one of those three things we just discussed.
|Course:||Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration - Exam 1Z0-821|
|Duration:||8 hrs / 92 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.