Now let's talk about the Interactive Installer. Now we're going to talk about it over the next several sessions. There are several methods for installing Solaris 11. There's the Interactive which we're going to focus on because it's part of the exam objectives and the Automated Installer. Now I'll mention the Automated Installer a little bit later on in the session and we'll talk about it a little bit later on in the course as well. For now let's talk about the Interactive Installer since that's part of the exam objectives. The Interactive Installer uses either a Text Based CD to install or what's called the Live CD. There's also a method for doing an over the network installation by connecting to a network server. Now the Live CD itself is basically for standalone installations, you're putting a CD into a machine and you're installing that machine. The Text Installer on the other hand can be used for the standalone installation or it can be used to install from a network server as well. Let's discuss the Live CD a little bit. The Live CD can only install to the X86 platform not the Spark. Now when we talk about X86 we're talking about the traditional PC architecture, server architecture that you'll find in probably 80 or 90 percent of the PC's and laptops and servers in the world. The X86 basically is the Intel AMD type of platform. Now the Live CD let's you to boot into Solaris 11 and have no changes to your system. It doesn't install on the hard drive initially and it doesn't do anything, you can always go back to the operating system you had before with no problems, simply by rebooting the computer. But this gives you the opportunity to try it before you buy it. You can actually do work in the Solaris 11 Live CD and you can do all kinds of things with it. So you may be asking yourself, well why don't I just do that rather than install it? Well installing it actually helps you out with hardware, the performance is much better if you install it and truthfully if you're going to have a long term installation, it's best to just go ahead and install it on the hard drive. Now the Live CD contains software that really is more appropriate for desktop or a laptop installation, kind of a workstation type of software package. In fact the package that is installed with the Live CD is called Solaris Desktop. Now the Text Installer on the other hand, it can install on a Spark platform which is the native Sun Solaris legacy platform. Or it can install on the X86 chip set platform. It can be used on systems that really don't have or need a higher end graphics card because really for a server you don't really typically need those. The Text Installer also requires less memory than the Live CD because it doesn't use all the fancy graphics. The other thing the Text Installer can do for you is it gives you the ability to configure the network on a much more detailed basis. You can install and configure DNS Zones, LDAP and so forth. So obviously the Text Installer CD is really meant for a server package. In fact the package, the software set that's on the CD itself is the Solaris Large Server Package Set as oppose to the Solaris Desktop Set. So that really makes the difference as to which version of the install, the Interactive Installer that you want to use. Sure, you can use the Text Installer to install a workstation but most people probably won't do that. So you'll really use a Text Installer on a server or where you have no high end graphics card or when you don't have a lot of memory and so forth. You'll use the Live CD primarily when you want a desktop or workstation. Now the Live CD and the Text Installer CD both have default credentials that are built into them. There's a user account which is Jack and the password is Jack. For the root account the user name is Root with a password of Solaris. Now a couple of things about this is that when you install from the Live CD, the root password automatically becomes the same password as the user password you create. In the Text Installer CD that's not the case. You have to select a unique root password. The other thing is after you install the Live CD, the root account actually is forced to go through a password change so it can't be the default password of Solaris after that. Now one more thing we'll talk about just very briefly and that's the Automated Installer not the Interactive Installer. We use that to install for media, for only one system or when setting up a network image server to install multiple systems across the network. Now this isn't the same thing as an over the network install like we were talking about earlier. And again we'll discuss this a little bit later in the course since it's essentially not one of the exam objectives, it's more of an advanced topic. But we will mention it and talk about it a little bit later. It requires an AI Manifest which is basically an XML File of all the different settings you would have for different types of Solaris 11 boxes on the network. I'd mentioned to you earlier that we would talk about hardware requirements later and the reason I want to do that is because the hardware requirements really are based upon the version of the Interactive Installer that you use. For example the Live CD requires one gig of memory at minimum and a minimum disk space of 5 gig with a recommended of 7. The Text Installer uses the same amount of minimum memory but only requires 2.5 gig of disk space with a recommended of 4.5 gig. And the Automated Installer is listed there too and it obviously requires a recommended of 13 gig. So the hardware requirements do vary by installer and that's one reason we mention them now. So in our next session coming up we're going to go ahead and install using the Interactive Installers the Live CD and the Text Based Installer.
|Course:||Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration - Exam 1Z0-821|
|Duration:||8 hrs / 92 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.