Before we actually insert the disk into the machine and start the boot process and install Solaris 11 there's a little bit of planning involved and this is actually one of your exam objectives. And as far as the exam is concerned and really as far as real life is concerned, planning involves several things and some of them we have listed on the screen. First of all we want to talk about what we're going to use the box for, whether it's a workstation or a server or even whether it's going to be a major server in a Cloud and handle Cloud computing type of services. And speaking of services that's another thing we want to look at too, is what kind of services are we going to run on this box because that may affect the type of installation we do. We also look at available hardware. For a workstation the hardware requirements are obviously a little bit less than they are for a server and for a server that's handling a large Cloud infrastructure, the hardware requirements are even more. Let's talk about our use first. Now we can install Solaris 11 and use it as a workstation or a server. In fact it's very easy to do both and we can use different installation methods based upon what we want to use it for. The other thing about the installation method is based upon our required services and applications, the Live CD versus the Text Installer CD has different software packages on it. So if you're just going to install a workstation for example the Live CD might be your better way to go because it contains most, if not all of the applications you need to start up right at the beginning using Solaris 11 as a workstation. And it's starts the services that you'll need, the typical services automatically. If you're going to install from a server of if you even have a workstation that does not have a high end graphics card then you might want to use the Text Installer instead because it does not use a GUI to install. It's a straight text installation, still fairly easy but it's only text. And at the end of the installation when it's up and running you only get a Shell prompt, you do not get a GUI. And for most servers that's all you need. And you'll find that you probably will be administering Solaris 11 at the Command prompt or Shell prompt a lot. The other thing about the Text Installer Disk is it has different software packages. It has the large server install package that you would use if you were installing server services. So that might be another consideration for if you're going to use it as a workstation or a server as to which type of installation method you're going to use. And we're going to look at both the Text Installer and the Live CD GUI Installers when we demonstrate to you how to install Solaris 11 coming up in a different session. Now as far as services goes, there's different services you're going to install on the box depending upon it's role. These could be network services, file sharing services for example, maybe authentication services, maybe it'll run a website or even a database. Typically most of these services will be installed on some type of a server platform, not typically a workstation platform although it's possible. You could have a small web server or small database server or even file services on a workstation. So this dictates what kind of installation you have too. And you probably need to role up front, what it's going to do and what type of services it's going to run before you install it. Now there's a lot of available hardware that you can install Solaris 11 on and some installation methods have different hardware requirements. For example it's typically a platform issue, Spark versus X86 as to which installation method you might use. For example the Live CD will only install on an X86 platform. The Text Installer will install on both X86 and Spark. So if you're going to use Spark, you typically want to use that Text Installer Disk. There is a special disk just for Spark anyway. When you download the IOS's for Solaris 11 you typically will have to choose between an X86 and a Spark platform. Now the available hardware that it runs on is actually very minimal and but it really depends on what type of box you're going to install, whether it's a server or a workstation. And we'll cover some of the hardware requirements a little bit later. Some of the hardware considerations that we will look at are memory of course, having a good bit of memory is important. Graphics card whether you're going to run a GUI installation or not and of course disk space. Some installation options require a certain amount of disk space allocated and partitioned. Some of the other considerations that you need to look at in planning are multi-booting, if you'll be booting it with a Windows system for example or another Linux system. Disk partitioning as I mentioned earlier, some disk partitions are required to be a certain size depending upon what kind of installation you're going to run and what platform you are going to run it on. There's also device drivers you need to look at. Different devices on the system you're going to be using, may be not supported by Solaris 11 right out of the box. So you may have to go get device drivers in advance that Solaris 11 supports and there's a wide variety of device drivers out there obviously. And you can get more information possibly on your particular device driver from the manufacturers site or even from the Solaris 11 site or different community sites. We haven't talked about everything there is to know when planning installation and some of these things we'll cover as we go through installing the system. We'll talk about a few more hardware requirements and so forth but the key is to make sure you know what you're installing and where you're installing and what you want out of the box when it's completed. Those are the key things in planning the installation.
|Course:||Oracle Solaris 11 System Administration - Exam 1Z0-821|
|Duration:||8 hrs / 92 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.