So let's take a look at Installing MySQL on the Windows platform. First off it doesn't distinguish between Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, they're all using the same installer, they're all using the same software, so there is no difference. The only difference is you have to choose between a 32-bit and a 64-bit, whatever is appropriate for you. So if we go to that page then we would see that we have those choices and we have a choice between two different kinds of installers as well, a Zip Archive or a Microsoft Installer package, so those are our two choices, we want to use MSI version and this one happens to have a couple of Wizards built into it and when we download this if we say to Run it when the download is complete it will immediately launch the first of those two Wizards the Installation Wizard. And what I'm going to do is I'm going to show you some slides that walk you through that process of going through this and the decisions that I want you to make as part of it. OK so here is then the beginning of the installation Wizard for Version 5.5. There's nothing we can do here but click that Next button so let's go ahead and do that, the next thing we want to do is Check the Checkbox, we Click the Checkbox down there saying that we Accept the License terms, that's very important otherwise we can't go any further. Then we go Next, on this page it defaults to the typical installation for the button there so if you just hit the Return key at that point you'd be doing the typical installation, but I want you to do the Complete Installation if you can, there are a few more programs, we won't be using them all in this course but if you're going to be following through for the other courses that I give then we'll definitely get into some of those other ones as we go along. So you click that, that's going to take you to the next window, there is no next button on this one, and the only other thing we can do with the Installation Wizard is then say OK let's install that stuff. So you click the Install button and it will spend some time, it'll show you a progress bar and things but eventually you'll be finished. There will be a couple of windows that pop up with some advertising things about MySQL, just kind of click through those and you will get to the final window that says that the Server Setup has now been Completed and there's a checkbox down there that should be checked by default. If it isn't please check that, that says Launch the MySQL Instance Configuration Wizard and then Click the Finish button. When you do that it closes this Wizard and opens the Configuration Wizard, so here we are in that one and again click the Next button because there isn't much we can do here. If you have other generations of MySQL already installed as I did and I'm just tossing this in for people who have that, then you have to decide which of those we're going to be configuring with the Configuration Wizard. Otherwise if you're just doing your first MySQL installation or you've only ever installed version 5.5 or whatever then you're not going to see this because it doesn't have any choices to make. OK, once we get into the Wizard then, we're going to be doing mainly defaults so on this screen the detailed configuration is the default and that's the one I want you to use. And we're going to go through this otherwise it would just choose a standard configuration and we wouldn't go through all the other configuration steps. But in classes I want make sure that students understand some of the things that's going on here and it's important we have a couple of changes to make later on. OK so we go to the next thing, again Developer Machine is the one that is the default and that's going to make sure that we have all of the different developer tools still running on it, otherwise if we do it for some of those other things it might remove some of the stuff that's already been installed. Multifunctional Database on the next screen is also the default, that means that we might use any of our storage engines, otherwise the other ones kind of restrict certain of the storage engines it can't remove them from the software but it disables those storage engines, I want them all enabled for right now. On the next screen it lets us choose where we want a very special file called the InnoDB Tablespace file to be located. Leave this alone, just click the Next button, we want it to be in its default location inside the main data directory and that will work for us fine for now. On the next screen again the default is this fancy name Decision Support, and they have other fancy names for other things, all we're choosing is how many maximum number of user connections do we want to allow for the server and it says that the first one is choosing 20 and the second one would choose 500. So we're going to choose the first one, we don't need a whole lot of connections but it does in fact lie, if you look in the configuration file that we come up with later and I won't remind you of that later so you can just look, you'll see that it actually has given us up to a hundred connections, I don't know why they haven't changed the Window Wizard but here in the, the text on it but that's what it does. OK here is the first place where we have to make a change, it is true that we want TCP/IP Networking switched on for all of our platforms and we want to use Port Number 3306 with TCP/IP. We do not want to set up a firewall exception for that port because we're just going to stay in our own little nest here but we do want to check the checkbox down at the bottom that says Enable Strict Mode, I think actually that does default here but we want to make sure that that is checked that's a very important thing. Then on to the next screen we're going to use the Standard Character Set just like it says Latin1, because our file that we're using for establishing our test database is or our world database anyway that we're going to be manipulating has all Latin1 characters in it, so let's just make that the standard for right now. Here is where we need to make a change, so we do want to install this as a Windows Service if we're on Windows, this is the only place where we're going to see that Wizard. Yes we want that service name to be MySQL unless we already have a service named that and we want to launch this service automatically when the machine starts up. The other thing we want to do, we want to make sure that we check that checkbox that will not be checked by default that includes the Bin Directory and we'll see what the Bin Directory is later in this chapter. In the Path Environment Variable, what that does is that allows us to just type in the names of the programs that are all stored in that Bin Directory and it will automatically look in that directory as one of a number of directories it looks for the programs that we're trying to run on the Command Line. If we don't do that then we always have to navigate to that or type in the entire path to the program and that gets to be a pain after awhile so be sure you check that box then click the Next button. Give yourself a password for your user account, do not check either of those two boxes and this looks like there are more choices to be made but in fact we're done, all we have to do is click the Execute button down at the bottom and those little circles there, notice that they're not checkboxes but those little circles will in fact populate as each of those steps gets performed. And then we click the Finish button at the end and we're done, that's great. So if you're on Windows you can skip the next couple of chapters, if you're on Mac OS X the next chapter is for you, if you're on Linux then the next chapter after that is for you and we'll see everybody in chapter that comes after all of those things where we talk about what we actually got installed.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.