Before we can get very far in this course, especially if you want to play along with me, we're going to have to Install the MySQL Software. Now if you already have a relatively modern version of MySQL one of the 5.Xs installed on your computer then that's fine but you'll still want to pay some attention when we talk about configuration in the next chapter. But if you don't, or if you want to get the most recent version, this is where we're going to be doing that operation, so you'll need to do some installation here. So we're not going to go through all of the details because there are so many different variations depending upon the platform that you're using, but we'll be talking about the very basics of doing this installation and then later in the chapter I will have lessons on each of the main operating systems, Windows, Mac OS X and the various Linux's to give you a little bit more detail, but ultimately you're going to have to read the manual and follow the instructions there. So, first thing that we have to do is get a copy of the Installer in the first place and figure out which Installer or Installers we need to use because we may have to use more than one. All of these things are available for free from the MySQL community website, now remember that's dev.MySQL.com, however, if we want to go directly to the downloads here we do dev.MySQL.com followed by a forward slash then downloads then another forward slash and MySQL, that will take us to the page that has the downloads on it. However there's also an anchor tag on that page if you want to take advantage of that so you can follow that with hash downloads and that will take you directly to the place that I'm going to show you an illustration of here on the next slide. And that's where we would begin the downloading process for getting our Installer. Now we need to make sure that both the Server and the Client Software are installed, the Server is the thing that manages the data, the Client is what we use to communicate with the server, so we need both of those. In most and I don't really mean most here because there are so many Linux's, so in Windows and Mac OS 10 in the server and the client software are all installed with the same installer. On all of the Linux's you have a separate server installer and a client installer so that's something to be aware of depending upon what platform you're using. So we have it for all of these different things and I use just the generic thing for UNIX platforms because we have not only Linux but also FreeBSD and Solaris and those are also UNIX type platforms, so there are many different choices for us to make. There are also Scripted and Unscripted Installers, now what do we mean by that? Well an Unscripted Installer would be something like a zip archive or a tar ball or something like that, whereas a Scripted Installer would be something like a Mac OS X package file, Microsoft Installer for Windows, an RPM on many of the Linux's and so on, there are different kinds of packaging software for the different platforms. The scripted ones have a script inside of it that not only unpacks these things and installs them in the appropriate location for us, so we don't have to make any real decisions there, but they also perform some other operations, adding things to the configuration file, creating and populating the MySQL database inside of the data directory, things of that nature. So we're going to use the Scripted Installers here because this is supposed to be an elementary level developer course, if we get into the administration course then we'll talk a little bit more about installation, we'll have an entire chapter that's a lot more thorough than this in that course. But here we just want to get the stuff installed so we can start working with it. So these things install the programs that we need both the Server and the Client programs and it establishes the data directory including the all-important MySQL database which has all of the administrative information for running the serverin the first place. You're going to have to read the manual though for all the specific things about your operating system, I can't possibly go through all of those things here. OK, here's what it looks like on that page, so when we come to this page the page itself will auto recognize whatever platform we're on. Now I was on a Mac when I did this you can kind of tell by the kind of drop-down list that I have here but I had already selected Windows just to take a screenshot and it recognized that I was on a Mac so it took me first to the Mac list, it just showed me that list of things. But there's a drop-down list here that I have open in this illustration that allows me to choose the other platforms and so I chose Microsoft Windows and we see that being reflected here. Now notice how this is laid out, there's a list of things, on the left side is the name of the installer it describes the operating system that we're going to be installing on, notice that there are 32-bit and 64-bit things, be aware of which of those is appropriate for you. When in doubt choose the 32-bit because that'll still run on a 64-bit machine. And it's showing version numbers and how big the installer is and all of that and then over on the right there is a download button, so that's where we begin is on this page. But there are steps to the download process even then, once we found the thing in list that we want, we click that download button on the right-hand side, that's going to take us to another page that looks like we have to first sign in with a user account or create a user account. Well that's not really true, just below that if you scroll down just a little bit there's a nice link in bold kind of bluish letters that says, No thanks just take me to the downloads. If you want you can sign up and get an account and they'll start sending the monthly newsletter to you and all kinds of other things but you don't have to do that, they don't want you to muck up their database if you're not interested in what they're sending you so just click this link and everything will be fine. Then you choose the appropriate mirror site and choose whether you want to use HTTP or FTP as your file transfer protocol and sometimes you have both choices, sometimes only one, click that and it will begin the process. So from there on you want to follow the manual instructions to follow through on the installation, this is just for downloading the installer. OK, in the next lesson we're going to look at the Windows process, and this is an important one because it's the only one that actually has a GUI interface, a Wizard that we walk through, actually two Wizards, and it helps us to make certain configuration decisions as well. So please watch the Windows one even if you're not on the Windows platform, because you will learn a few things that will be important once you get into the configuration process in the next chapter. OK, on to Windows Installation.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.