In this lesson let's talk about some keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word. Keyboard shortcuts can make things go really quickly and efficiently for you, much faster than stopping and picking up the mouse to make a command happen. So let me share some of my favorite keyboard shortcuts with you. Now I have created a file, I'll include it in your Work Files. It's called keyboard shortcuts. You can just print it out and have it if you'd like and I also have it on my Skydrive. So if you want me to share it with you there just let me know and I'll be happy to do that. But we'll go through these quick and easy keyboard shortcuts. If you're not in the habit of using keyboard shortcuts what I would do is put a couple of the favorite shortcuts of yours on a notecard. Put it next to your computer and get into the habit of using those. Once you've mastered a couple of them, add a few more. So my first keyboard shortcut that I use all the time is Control S. That will let me save my document. Now it took me into Save As because I have not given this a filename yet. If I give it a filename yet. If I give it a filename and then hit Control S. From that point forward it will automatically just save my changes. Control N brings me up a brand new blank document, much quicker and easier than going into my backstage to get that. Control N, new document. Control Z is Undo. Should I go down here and highlight some information and change that. And maybe I don't like it. I can hit Control Z and hit it again and it will just back up through the different things I've done and remove that. I use that a lot with people who somehow accidentally delete areas of their document. And they tell me they have no idea where it went. So I tell them to hit Control Z and just keep undoing until it reappears. Control P is your printing, it will automatically take you into your printing options so you can print quickly and easily, Control P. Now copy, cut and paste are the other popular keyboard shortcuts. I can highlight something, I can do a Control C, click somewhere do a Control V and paste it. Or I can highlight an area, I can do a Control X cut it out and put it someplace totally different. So Control C copies, Control X cuts it out, removes it and puts it somewhere else. I'll hit my Control Z and undo those things. I'll keep hitting it here until we're back to where we were. The next shortcut keys that I use quite a bit are the bold, italic and underline. I can highlight something and I can just do a Control B to bold it, Control I is italic and Control U is the underline. If I don't want one of those I can just do a Control B again and that will turn off the bold. One of my favorites is the Control F for Find. I've typed in the word paragraph there and I wanted it to find that in my document. It shows me right here the area and it highlights it over here in yellow for me. I can click on this next area, jumps me there and shows me again where that word is. Control F will save you so much time if you just need to find a specific element in your document, rather than reading the whole thing use the Find Option. I'm going to close out of that. Another thing that I always tell people about is the Escape key. If you're working in Microsoft Word and it seems like the Format Painter won't turn off and leave you alone there's just a command that keeps running and running and won't stop. Hit the Escape key on your keyboard. That works in any computer program. Hit that to cancel and action. F4 is a Repeater. I can go down here, I will type 1, 2, 3 hit my Enter key. Now I'm going to hit F4, that repeats my last actions. It types my numbers and also puts in my Enter. So F4 repeats. Alt F4 will close Microsoft Word. So F4 repeats, Alt F4 closes Word. I can also do an Alt F, that brings up my backstage. Notice there i can use E then and go to Export. I can use C and close my document. If you hit Alt you'll notice all these things pop up. That shows you what letter you hit to get into that area. So if I do an S that takes me into References and all those different elements in there again have the letter that I need to hit to activate those. I'll hit Alt again and that turns it off. And last but not least I want to show you how to select things in Microsoft Word. You may want to move entire areas or reformat entire areas. Control A highlights all of your document. So Control A is all. I can double-click on a word and that highlights a word. If I triple-click notice that gets me more, I get a whole paragraph. I can also go out here to the edge see when I get that arrow pointing back, I can click and highlight an entire line. I can also click and drag and highlight that way. Another little trick I have is you click somewhere, you hold down your Shift key and you click somewhere else and it highlights everything in between. I call that the click the shift, the click. I use that a lot with people who have problems with dragging the mouse and making it stop where they want to. You just click somewhere, hold down your Shift key and click at the end. And another little trick for highlighting is the F8 key. So if I hit F8 that initiates a Selection Mode. If I hit it again I get a word and if I just keep hitting it you'll notice how it continues to highlight more and more, eventually my whole document. I can do Shift F8 and that starts to reverse my highlights. Then when I'm done I just hit Escape to make sure that I edit out of Selection Mode. So think about which of those keyboard shortcuts you'd like to start to get into the habit of using. It will save you a lot of time. Think about it, write them down, put them on a notecard next to our computer so you can start making those shortcuts a habit.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.