Anytime Upgrades is a new idea that Microsoft is Introducing in Windows 7 and it's a really cool idea because one of the things that Microsoft has published about the different editions of Windows 7 is the ability for you to choose which edition and which functionalities you want and to spend less money getting into Windows 7 then as you need more functionalities you can upgrade Windows 7 to the next edition and so for a few more dollars you can get the next one. Now keep in mind here when we're talking about upgrades we're talking about from one edition of Windows 7 to another, we're not talking about from XP to Vista or Vista to Windows 7. We're talking about different editions of Windows 7 itself. Now the way you do this is you purchase a Product Key. Now what's interesting is when you installed Windows 7 you installed an image and based on the Product Key that you input certain functionalities are turned On and certain ones are turned Off and so by just purchasing a different Product Key you can unlock other functionalities. It's a really cool concept and it makes it very easy for you to update your machine. Now, one of the things that you need to know here is exactly which version you've got and exactly what you want to go to. OK, now if you'll go back in the course there is a video called, Windows 7 Versions and if you read that or if you watch the video, it's kind of tough to read a video, but I guess you can try. But that will talk about the different versions and so forth. Now admittedly most people are simply going to use the one that came on the machine or they are going to buy the absolute top for the dollars and so forth. But this is a way to go through steps with this thing. Now the first thing you want to do is determine your version. If you're on the top, if you have Enterprise or Ultimate you're not going to see anything about upgrading your version in any of the interface. OK, and that's what's going on with the machine that I'm recording this video on, but I'm going to show you a screen shot. But for example since I'm using the Ultimate Version I'll never see Anytime Upgrades mentioned. Now the upgrade paths for Windows 7 and we'll talk about determining your version in just a minute, I'll show you a couple of tricks for that. You can move from Home Basic to Home Premium just by purchasing a different Product Key, you don't have to reinstall the operating system or anything, you just pay for the different Product Key, put it in and you can go from Home Basic to Home Premium, at the end you can go from Home Premium to Ultimate, OK? Now on the Professional side or the corporate side you can go from Professional to Enterprise and from Enterprise to Ultimate. Now Enterprise to Ultimate is kind of interesting, that's a licensing thing because Enterprise and Ultimate are identical, we're just talking about a volume license situation and the other one has a Retail Key, OK? So that basically is all you have to do. Now there's two methods for upgrading the versions, you can do a retail purchase, you can go out to your local computer store or office supply place, places like Staples, Office Depot, those kinds of places and you can buy a package. Now it looks like a large box, just like the one that you get the CD's in and when you buy the upgrade you take it home, you open it and all it is, is the key. OK, so it's kind of interesting that they would package it that way. The best thing to do is online and you can do this right through Windows 7. You're just going to go online, make a payment to Microsoft, you'll download the Key and some information and they'll step you through how to upgrade. OK, now? You cannot move from 32 to 64-bit. That is a reinstall and you have to purchase a new operating system OK? This will only move between the versions on whatever platform you're on, either 32 or 64, OK? Now to get to Anytime Upgrade, you can find this, there's going to be a lot of different ways that you're going to see it if you don't have Ultimate or Enterprise and the best, probably most standard way is to go into the Control Panel, go to System and Security and the you will se a link in there for Anytime Upgrade. Just click the link and follow the steps and send Microsoft some money and you will get a product key that will step you through how to input it and then once you have put in you new key and you've done your Anytime Upgrade, you will have to reactivate your software. But you'll do it over the Internet and its painless I promise you. Well what I want to do now is show you a couple of tricks about determining what version of Windows 7 you have and this will actually work on all machines. And so you'll notice here I've gone to the Desktop and what I will do now is I can right click on my computer. If you don't see my computer on your Desktop, OK, you can, let me show you right quick how to make that happen. If you go to personalize, you can change your Desktop icons right here and then you can just check the ones that you want on there, OK? And so I've checked Computer, User files, Recycle Bin. These are not on by default. So you can take care of those and again I just right clicked on the Desktop, went to personalize and then chose change Desktop icons. OK, so if you don't see this you could just click on Start and go to Computer right here. It's the same thing. Right click and go to Properties and you will see under Windows Edition, you'll see that I have Windows 7 Ultimate, OK? Now let me point out to you right quick, to avoid confusion, Windows update is not the same thing as Anytime Upgrade, OK? Most people know that, but just wanted to make sure that you're aware of that, OK? Now the next thing and this is the cool one, is Click on Start and in the search bar just type Winver, W-i-n-v-e-r and hit enter and you get this really cool box that comes up and shows you what version. Now this will work on any version of Windows and it will remove all doubt and it gives you just exactly the information that you need to see, tells you who it's licensed to, the version and everything, OK? So that's just a quick overview of Anytime Upgrade. It's a really cool feature that Microsoft is implementing in Windows 7.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.