When it comes time to install SQL Server 2012. You have some options and this is going to be a two part video and in Part 1 I'm going to cover part of the options and then we'll finish it up in Part 2. But when we're talking about Installation Options, especially what you're going to see on the exam, they are going to concentrate not on just new installations. Very easy to just put the installation media in, install SQL Server, answer all the appropriate questions, follow the Wizard. All that sort of thing. But what we're really talking about here is, making an installation happen where we have SQL Server already in place and we have data in databases in earlier versions. And so in Part 1 here, we're going to talking about the In-Place Upgrade and in part two, we'll pay a little closer attention to the Side-By-Side Migration. Now that's your two basic choices if you are trying to put SQL Server 2012 into an environment where you already have SQL Servers out there with previous versions. Now you can also install SQL Server onto the Server Core and depending on the various documentations that you look at, they will consider a Server Core installation kind of a third option. So that's why you'll always see Server Core show up. Also keep in mind this is probably something you'll see on the exam because Server Core installation shows up so often because Microsoft's extremely proud of it, SQL Server 2012 is the first time that they have supported a SQL Server installation on Server Core. Now an In-Place Upgrade is just exactly what it sounds like, we take an existing SQL Server and we simply choose to upgrade that particular SQL Server to SQL Server 2012. Now all that is going to happen is it's just like an overwrite, the binaries of the old SQL Server version are simply replaced by those of the New SQL Server 2012, this is coming off your installation media. SQL Server data is automatically converted from the previous version and the prior databases to SQL Server 2012. There is not data copying, there is nothing that has to be migrated, transferred, nothing is required in that area, it's all just kind of going to happen for you. So if it, In-Place Upgrade is that good, what versions can I do it on? Well you can perform an In-Place Upgrade on SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4 or later. 2008 Service Pack 2, 2008 Release 2 Service Pack 1 and versions earlier than 2005 Service Pack 4 cannot be upgraded. Those will have to be a Side-By-Side Migration. But still you are taking a pretty long stretch there from 2005 to 2012. So we're reaching all the way back to 2005 Service Pack 4 to be able to do an upgrade. Now if upgrades are so cool, let's talk about the pros and cons, what could possibly go wrong. Right. Well first of all let's talk about the pros, what's good about the In-Place Upgrade? Well it's usually easier and generally, got to watch that word, generally it's less risky than a Side-By-Side Migration. Now you generally get a pretty fast upgrade of everything all at once. If you've got an old SQL Server 2008 or 2005 Service Pack 4 database and you want to get everything at once, do an In-Place Upgrade okay? No additional hardware is needed, you don't need another server, you just kind of kick it off, stand back and watch it happen. Probably the biggest pro is that your server and instance names do not change, they stay the same, we are just replacing those binaries. And what that means in English is you don't have to make any changes to any of your applications to have them point to the correct instance, to the correct SQL Server to continue working. Now here's the cons for this, here is what can go wrong. First of all kind of a small con, you have less granular control. Now depending on how many databases you have in your SQL Server, this could be an issue for you because the instance must be offline during the upgrade. Now this means you are going to have to schedule some down time, do at night, do it on the weekend, whatever but your SQL Server is going to be down and unavailable during the time that this upgrade is taking place. Also you got to be careful here, make sure you take this risk into consideration. If you have a disaster during an upgrade and you start to you know get all kind of weird, bizarre messages, you lose power or something goes horribly wrong, a disaster during an upgrade can become a complex time consuming issue. First of all, worst case scenario, you're going to have to just kind of wipe it clean, install your entire operating system from scratch. Then you are going to have to re-install SQL Server onto that operating system from scratch and then start to restore all your SQL Server data. And if you want to see an administrator get really nervous, start restoring all of your SQL Server data. Okay. So those are some big cons but I will tell you that generally the In-Place Upgrade is what's going to be treated as kind of the favorite son if you will. So just make sure on an In-Place Upgrade that you understand the pros and cons and watch for these on the exam. So I'm going to end Part 1 right here, join me in Part 2 and we'll talk about the Side-By-Side Migration a little bit.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.