Well it's no big surprise that there are a number of Security Enhancements in SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 is trying to do a couple of things here with security. Number one, they are trying to maintain what is actually and this may be surprise people, one of the best security records in the database world out there. And you can go look some of this stuff up on the Internet but it's really surprising. SQL Server 2012 has some of the best numbers on security historically, But they've also added some things to help administrators build a more secure environment. And they've done things like User-Defined Server Roles, Contain Database Authentication. If you remember we talked about this also back in the Availability Enhancements and it is both of those things. Not only does it increase availability by making those databases more portable but it also makes them more secure. We'll talk about that a little bit more in just a minute. Audit Improvements have been implemented in SQL Server 2012 along with a couple of new permissions, let's drill into these just a little bit. User-Defined Server Roles, now if you remember in previous versions we had User-Defined Roles for the users. And so you know we could set roles for the individual user and then you know we could avoid giving certain people too many permissions and that sort of thing. Well now these User-Defined Server Roles let's us do the same thing at the server level. So we can set roles at the server level and this prevents unnecessary use of the sysadmin role. Because to get people to do certain things or to keep them from doing certain things, we either give them sysadmin or not give them sysadmin. This makes all that management aspect a little bit easier. Now Contained Database Authentication, here it is again. Keep in mind a quick review here, SQL Server Logins are not required for database access. The users data is actually authentication data I should say is stored in the user database. Now users that log in through Contained Database Authentication cannot perform database level operations. They can only perform what's called DML or Data Manipulation Language operations Insert, Delete, Update, Select. That sort of thing. Now what's neat about that is, not only does it make the database a lot more portable and it allows people to login directly to the database. But it also prevents users from having database level operations. And this also eliminates problems with orphan or unused logins. This has been a problem in previous versions in SQL Server where those SQL Server logins, how do you keep up with which ones are no longer used? Which people are no longer here? Which ones have changed, which ones, you know, the people are still here but they never login anymore, because the job responsibility has changed, it's been a problem. And then of course the old standby with Contained Database Authentication, it just simply makes that database easier to be moved between servers and so now we can load balance even by moving databases around. It's a really neat piece of functionality. Now Auditing continues to become a huge issue with a lot of companies because it is becoming more and more a regulatory compliance issue for most industries. We're seeing regulation increase especially around the healthcare industry, banking industry. And SQL Server 2012 is answering those needs in the marketplace, I sound like a salesman don't I, by offering a number of Audit Improvements. Okay. First of all there is Audit Support now in all of the additions, there's improved resilience and by that I mean you don't lose audit information in failures. It's, it's just protected a little better, it's safer, you can do Record Filtering. Now what's neat about this is not that you audit and collect a bunch of junk and then filter through it. But Record Filtering will let you actually filter the data before it comes in. Talk about it in just a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself as usual. The TSQL Stack Information and then of course the User-Defined Audit Event. Now Audit Support in all editions, basic auditing capability has been provided in all the additions now. So you can do some basic auditing functionalities, some previous versions you didn't have this and so administrators used SQL Trace to try to capture auditing data. This could impact performance, it wasn't efficient, it wasn't very easy to set up, it was hard to manage, it was just not a good deal and so that's changed now. Improved resilience, I mentioned this a minute ago. You have a lot more available options for Audit Log Failures, what happens to the data. You can get more detailed audit data capture very easily and this just makes for a better environment, especially where regulation is kind of creeping in. Record Filtering. I can filter an event before it gets written into an Audit Log. This is really neat because one of the big problems we see, real world security issues is we may log all kinds of information. But if every day I had this situation in a job I had a few years ago, we were logging 32,000 rows of security information every day. Well obviously nobody is going to be able to read 32,000 rows of data every day and so as a result, things were slipping by. So you want to make sure that you audit real events that you need and not so many of them that you can't really make good security happen with them. New permissions, you can now apply Grant, Revoke and Deny Permissions to a Search Property List and to the Create Server Role. And again, it gives us a little bit more control over who can do what. So on the whole as you see, when you kind of package all these up, there are some really neat practical real world functional security enhancements in SQL Server 2012. Make sure these that I've listed here in this video, that you get familiar with them, we're going to deal with, with most of them in the course here directly. We'll kind of touch on them in other places. Make sure you understand these, know what they are and even play with them just a little bit hands on before you go sit this exam and you should be just fine.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.