Here we are in Tasks which we got to by clicking the Tasks button here in the Navigation Pane. The goal of this lesson is to acquaint you with the view that you have in Tasks, how you can customize it a bit and what information is typically displayed about Tasks in both To-Do and Tasks Views. This will give you an idea of some of the things you can do with your Tasks which will help you decide what to build into the Tasks when you create them, which you'll learn to do in another lesson. First let's look around. We've got our Navigation Pane here on the left. We have the Task List, or To-Do List in this case, here. We have a Reading Pane which just like it does in Outlook Mail defaults to being displayed on the right and then we have a To-Do Bar. Now, the To-Do Bar consists of a Date Navigator, a list of items upcoming from the calendar and our Tasks. Now this is kind of redundant to see Tasks again so we're going to turn that off and then we have more room for more Calendar Items. These panes can be collapsed or minimized and then re-expanded, same over here. It'll reduce your list over here on the Navigation Pane to Icons, but it allows you to quickly get to your mail if you need to, which is why I would not suggest turning it off because if you want to get out of Tasks you have to come back here and turn it back on, so you might as well just leave it minimized if you feel it takes too much room. I'm going to re-expand it and now let's move our Reading Pane to the bottom. Now what appears in the Reading Pane? If you click on a Task you get all the stuff that was entered when that Task was created, such as the Due Date, Text in terms of what needs to be done to complete the task and that's purely optional and you'll learn how all these components were created when you build your own Task. You have, as I click on different ones you'll see more or less detail for each one appear in the Reading Pane. Now, in the Tasks View I'm going to see a little less information. I'm going to see the Subject, the Due Date, the Categories and that's about it. If you want to see more information about Tasks simply right-click the Column headers and you can select Field Chooser and I'll drag this out into the middle here and if I want to add a column all I have to do is drag it from this list up to the header. So, for example, let's say I assign a lot of my tasks. I haven't assigned any yet but you'll learn how to assign tasks in another lesson. Let's say I want to see that, I just drag it up here to the Columns, let it go and that becomes a feature, it becomes something I can see about my Tasks. Now if I decide I don't want it, just drag it back out. So that's one way to customize the View. I'm going to close this up. You can also choose to change views here. I can choose a Detailed View which gives me more columns by default - go back to a simple list which is how I left it - I can view just the To-Do List which we saw by selecting it here as well, I can choose to view them by items that are Prioritized, by the ones that are due in the Next 7 Days, due Today, that are Completed, that are Active, Overdue, Assigned to others - so all these options here are available through the Change View button. If I choose Manage Views I get this option where I can select each of my Views and modify them and we'll see this dialog box in other places. This just allows us to choose which columns we want to see. It's yet another way to add them so you can select, for example, when it was last modified and add that. If you want to get rid of it you select it on the right and click Remove. Now I'm going to Cancel out of here. Your other options are to Group your tasks. They are automatically grouped by date which is really the best way to view them. How to Sort them. I'll show you a better way to do that momentarily. How to filter them, how to set up the fonts and so forth for how they're displayed. So all these options are available under Advanced View Settings and, as I said, there are several ways to get to this dialog box. I'm going to close out of here. We can adjust the Arrangement. We can view things by Categories, Start Date, Due Date which is the default, Type and Importance. We can Reverse Sort, yet another way to sort, but here's a better way. If I click Due Date I'm sorting by Due Date. And I can sort by Reminder Time, Start Date, Categories - so all these options are available just by clicking the buttons and you can reverse the sort order by clicking the button again - Ascending, Descending and so forth. Again, we can Add Columns, that dialog box that we saw before has returned and we can Expand and Collapse. So, for example, if I'm viewing this week's tasks I can expand or collapse - let me collapse that group - these triangles do the same thing, expand and collapse. If we have an Overdue task we can choose to display the Reminders Window. Now there's nothing appearing here right now. I'm going to close that up and I'll put this back by Due Date and I'm going to go in and change the prompt time for this so that it should have prompted me a day earlier. Save and Close and now if I hit - ah, the Reminders Window pops up and I get a Reminder. So, this should happen automatically as the times that you've set to be reminded and you'll learn how to do that when you create the task, but as those times appear the Reminder Window will pop up. If you want to have a list of all the stuff that's currently due, things that you've Snoozed earlier in the day, you can just click Reminder Window and it brings those up. I'm going to Snooze this for a half a day because I'm continuing to put this task off. Now those are our choices for how to view our tasks: as a To-Do List or a list of simple Tasks and we can change the View. I'll go back to Simple List here, so now Tasks is back to the default Simple List View. Red tasks are overdue. The Flags here indicate that it's a current task or something for the future or, in this case, a completed task. In other lessons you'll learn how to mark tasks as complete, how to change their due dates which you can take something that's overdue and move it to the future so it's no longer menacing you in this red type. So, now that you have a sense of the lay of the land and all the things you can view about your tasks you hopefully have a better sense of how you can use this feature and how to build your tasks so that they give you all the information you need.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.