One of the first things you're going to want to do when you set up your Outlook installation is set up an E-mail account. Now we already have one set up here. You've seen me use it in other lessons, but the way you can set up your first one or an additional one is to go to the File tab and choose Add Account. Now you can see the account that you've seen me using in other lessons. It's already there. And if you're using an Outlook installation at the office or if you bought your computer and had Outlook set up for you by the person from whom you purchased the computer, you probably already have your E-mail address there, but you may want to set up an additional account so you can check E-mail for all of your various E-mail identities. The process whether it's your first one or in a multiple, you know, in a secondary or third or however many accounts you're going to have, it's the same process. So I'm going to click Add Account and then use the Add New Account dialog box. Now at this point you have three choices as to how to proceed. The first choice and it's the default choice, but not necessarily because it's the best or most common, it's just the default, is to set up an E-mail Account on an assumed network and here you're going to enter in Your Name, you E-mail Address and a Password and then you re-enter the Password to verify it. And then Windows or Outlook in this case, but through Windows, goes out and checks the network for the domain you put in and it gives you the sample Ellen at contoso.com so it goes out and looks for that user name on that server and it attempts to login using the user name and password that you've provided. Now, since we don't have a network running here we're going to go for the third option which is probably the most commonly used one since we're not doing text messaging we're actually doing E-mail, so the third option, Manually configure server settings or additional server types is the one we're going to work with and this would be the one that home users who maybe want to be able to check their office mail but aren't necessarily connected to that network they're going to want to dial in, or if you have your own website or if you use Gmail or Yahoo or something like that this would be the option you'd choose. I'm going to click Next. Then you choose what kind of service you have for your E-mail. Do you have Microsoft Exchange or a compatible service like that or are you using a POP server, one provided, for example, by a web hosting company? That's the most common at this point so we'll choose Internet E-mail. Again, we're skipping over text messaging as an option here and I'll click Next. Now at this point it wants your name and I'll supply that. This is purely text. It's not something that would be verified when it logs in or anything like that. This is more for your own identification purposes to tell your different E-mail addresses apart. And then you put in the Address. And then you choose your Account type: POP or IMAP. POP's probably the one you're going to choose. Then you have to designate your Incoming mail server. This is typically the income mail server provided by the host of your website if you have a domain-based E-mail address, so you're going to put that in here. I'm going to put in a fake one so I don't have everyone who takes this course logging into my server, so I'll just put in pop.mail.com. Your web host would tell you what address to put in here. Then your Outgoing mail server would be the outgoing mail server for your ISP, your Internet Service Provider. So if you have Verizon or AT and T or your local cable company you can contact them or you could even look it up online to find out what their outgoing mail server setting should be. I'm going to put in another bogus one here. And notice the User Name was automatically inserted. It grabbed it from the E-mail address that I entered up here and then I put in my Password. This is the Password that I've set up for this user, which would have to have been set up ahead of time through your web host so you don't do this until you have an E-mail account that exists out there in the world. You're simply telling Outlook how to use that E-mail account. Now at this point I could click Test Account Settings and if I do it's going to fail, obviously, because I've used fake settings for the mail servers but just to show you what it looks like if I click Test Account Settings it's going to attempt to reach the incoming mail server and send a message, then it's going to attempt to reach the outgoing mail server and retrieve, or rather and retrieve that sent message and here it's going to verify my Password. I'm going to hit Cancel here and I'm going to stop it. What you want to see are green checkmarks here. That would indicate success. I'm going to stop that process here. You don't actually have to do the test when you're doing the setup but it's a good idea just to make sure that your User Name and Password are correct. Now I'm going to turn off this option so that it doesn't keep trying to test as we go along. It's Test Account Settings by clicking the Next button. I don't want it to go through that again. The next thing to choose is how new messages will be delivered. Will they be delivered to an Outlook Data File, a new one for just this account or will it be to an Existing one, so that your existing Outlook Data File will just accumulate all the files and all the mail for all your E-mail accounts. I'm going to leave it on New right now. If I had chosen Existing I would then use the Browse button to go find that file, but I'm going to leave it on New. Now if your incoming or outgoing mail server requires special settings you could click More Settings where you can go in and enter in more information about the Mail Account, specify a separate login for your outgoing mail server, enter in specifics about the type of Connection you've got, whether it's via modem or a phone line, or some third-party dialer. And then on the Advanced tab you can enter in different numbers for your incoming and outgoing mail servers. Sometimes your outgoing mail server will require a different number than this default one, especially if it requires special logins so that it will relay your mail from the incoming server which may be different to the outgoing server. So, I'm going to click Cancel here because we're not actually making any changes. And at this point we would hit Next and it tells me that I've successfully created the account. I could click Add Another Account or just Finish if I've added the one and only one I needed to do. Now at this point if you go back to File and choose Account Settings and click Add or Remove Account Settings, Change existing connections, it gives me a list of all the E-mail accounts that I have set up. You can designate one as the default. You can Repair or Change. This is another way to access that New process we just went though. Or you can delete one if you no longer want to keep it. So, you can set up one or more E-mail identities in Outlook so that you can check mail and send mail and be whomever you want, any E-mail address that you have, you can easily set it up using that File tab and the Account Information Settings.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.