Now here's one more for those of you who may be haven't been around Access very long. When you look at Access 2013 you're looking at a product that has really matured and grown up since it first appeared on the marketplace. And that's why you're going to see some of the glowing, almost over the top reviews and things that you're going to see on Access 2013. But let's back up just a little bit and talk about a little history here. Access first came to us, Access 1.0 the very first version was released November 13th 1992. Now there had been this massive flurry in the marketplace at that time because of a product called Ashton-Tate's dBase and then they started dBase 2, 3, 4, 5 I don't how far it went but this thing just absolutely overtook the market. And Microsoft jumped into the database, the small business, the small office team type database market with Access version 1.0 around November 13 1992. Now look at some of the numbers on this thing, it's almost comical now. It would store a database up to 10 megabytes. Now of course now 10 megabytes is no longer a database, that's a Word document. But back then that was a big deal because our average hard disk size in 1992 was under 500 megabytes. Okay. So there wasn't a whole lot of data being stored back then. So you could store up to 10 megabytes and this was a big deal. But you started to suffer from data corruption as the storage exceeded 10 megabytes. And so you know the next time you're tempted to complain just think about how all those old timers like I was, am had to deal with it back in the early 90s. Now Access 2013 just for you information, some useless trivia for the relatives. This will be version 15.0. And Access has become between version 1 and version 15 the standard small business and team database management tool. Now I've, I don't guess I've ever gone into a company that didn't have Access managing some data somewhere. Even if everybody there admits, man we got to get off Access which is where we're storing way too much data for it. You know it's having a little bit of trouble keeping up but it's there. Now one of the really neat things about Access that you don't see in a lot of other database products is it has the interface tools included. And so not only can you build your databases but you can also build the forms and the interfaces that the end user will use to speak to the database and manipulate the data. And also most of the data design management details are managed for you. Now this is both a blessing and a curse. Because especially in Access 2013, they're really done some neat stuff where you can just kind of point at some data, it will build the tables for you, create the relationships, build the interface for you. It just does everything, it's like magic. But keep in mind it's done the data design and management details for you but you probably want to go back and customize those things a bit and it is preventing you from getting in there and getting dirty and really understanding what's going on. Now the big thing with Access 2013 and the biggest sign you're sign going to see that this thing has really grown up and matured for how we're using computers now, is that it focuses on the web. A database can now be hosted through Office 365 that is a subscription service from Microsoft. At the time that I was recording this video you could sign up for a 30 day trial of Office 365 totally free and then see what you thought. You should be able to do that still by the time you see this but who knows? The databases that you build for the web on Access 2013 are securely accessible from any tablet or computer. And those tablets or computers do not require that you have Access installed on the device, why? Because it's going to connect and run through the browser. So if you've got a browser on your device you can use the Access that's being hosted in Office 365. Now Access also for the first time really strongly integrates with SharePoint as a SharePoint app. Now in previous versions Access 2010 you could work with some SharePoint lists through Access and so forth. But with this you can run an Access database as a full fledged SharePoint application we'll talk more about that later. Also Access now is beginning more and more and more to integrate with SQL Server. When you create an app in SharePoint that connects to SharePoint, you basically builds a SQL Server database to store your Access data. Kind of neat and again go out and do some reading on this, this whole SharePoint app thing with Access 2013. It's pretty fascinating stuff and some of it will get a little over our head for this level of course but I'll mention some of it. Okay. Now it also integrates with SQL Azure. Now Azure is Microsoft's Cloud storage access functionalities. And Access also works with that. So you can create an Access database, put it up in the Cloud and all the advantages of the Cloud, backups you know multiple access from different locations, all that sort of stuff is there. Now Access also in 2013 introduces automatically created user interfaces and I can hear some of you chucking right now, oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah. An automatically created user interface, I bet that's pretty. Let me tell you I've been playing with this and it is shockingly well done. So watch for that, we'll see it some in here and you can play with it yourself. And these interfaces by the way once it creates them can be customized so it's a pretty good deal here. So Access has definitely grown up, it continues to mature. I think you're going to like what you see in Access 2013 but this is what all the hoopla is about.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.