In this video, I want to introduce you to the Control Wizard and show you how much easier it can make life for you. In the previous video, called Adding Controls, I walked you through the process of adding some buttons down here, and then going out here, and manually adding some Code to them. That's good, and I wanted you to see that, but that is the more advanced way to do it, and it gets you into more and more Code issues. We got into an error handling issue in that video, and I wanted you to see that, because I wanted you to see how much simpler the Control Wizards make your life. Now you do want to pursue getting more and more into the Code and the background, and error handling and so forth, but it's outside the scope of this course, and so what I want to do now, is take these off. I'm going to go out into Design View, and scroll down, and I am going to just, remove these two, actually let me just do it the easy way here, quickly, and get these off. And, right click, and Delete these off. And let's do one more thing, that we haven't really looked at in the course yet. This pushing my buttons way down here on the bottom, and they're hard to get to. In Layout View, I can simply re-size my fields here, OK? Now why do I do that large? Because I took the default on the text size, and they're all showing, I think 255 characters, and so it's trying to leave a little space for those, but notice I can pull it up, and make it a little tighter. I am going to go to Design View, and I want to put two buttons down here, but I'm going to use the Control Wizard. Now this is just a bit funky alright? Funky being that southern technical term for, it doesn't always work the same way. This might not be your experience, but it has certainly been mine. Most of the time it works just fine, but then all of a sudden, it will just kind of act a little bizarre on you. So here's the way you use the Control Wizard. You will notice that when we're in the Design Mode, you see more Controls up here, in the Controls Section OK? If I go to the Layout Mode, alright? You'll see that I have Controls up here alright? They're spread out more, but I'm missing some of them alright? So I always like to work in Design Mode here, OK? So what I'm going to do is, notice, I'm scrolling up and down with the arrows here, but notice there is another arrow down here, that says More, and when I click on that, you can see, there's a toggle down here for using Control Wizards. Right now, it's off, right now it's on, and when I come back and see that it is on, I can use this. Now here's the difference OK? If Control Wizards is not on, and you can see that it's not on right now, I'm going to click out of the way, and I click on a button for example, and I add it, nothing happens. Now I'm on my own, I have to go write the Code manually. So I am going to right click this, and remove it, but if I go down here, and turn on Control Wizards, then click the button, and then press it, notice it opens this Command Button Wizard. Now if you ever don't see this, and I'm going to come back off, off this and delete it again. If you ever don't see the Control Wizard open up, then open this up, make sure that's highlighted, right here, and you can see that it is, and once you see that, with this open, click the button, and then come down here, and usually that will cause this Wizard to open up. Now notice there's a lot of things you can do, just kind of go through here, and look at each one of these. I won't read them to you right now, but you're going to see quickly here how to make the magic happen. Notice this, we want to do some record navigation, we want to go to the next record alright? So we choose that, we hit Next. It says, do you want to put this picture on the button, or do you want to do text? And we're going to do to text OK? So we're going to say next, and then we hit Next, and it asks us for a name for this button, if we ever want to program it. I'm just going to call it BTN Next, and I hit Finish, and there is my button, and I can re-size it to make it look a little cooler, and let's go look at what happened. If I go to Form View, now when I hit Next, notice I go to the next record alright? Well let's go back to Design View, and let's add our Previous button. I'm going to move this guy over just a little, I will go back into Controls, make sure Control Wizards highlighted, click a button, come down, click here, notice it dropped one on. I want to go to the previous record, click Next, we're just going to call it previous, click Next. Let's call it BTN PREV, and click Finish, and just like that, we have another button OK? And I will make it a little wider, so that it has more of the standard look and feel. And just like that, I'm done OK? So now I go into my actual Form View, and you will notice that I can move forward, I can move backward, and if I go too far backward, it automatically says, hey wait a minute, you can't go to that record. Notice if I go Next, and you can see down here, I'm moving through them, if I hit Next after my last record, it says, Ah you can't go there either OK? And I can come back here, and I can start to do things if I would like alright? Now that's the way to really build these things, and be very easy, all your Codes written for you. You'll notice I didn't write a single line of Code, and you also noticed there are some other things out there that you can do with that Control Wizard. And that Control Wizard by the way, works on a lot of different things, for example, if I turn on the Control Wizard, and I want to drop an option box on, you'll actually see that in a separate video, but we can work with all kinds of things, and when we drop them on, for example, combo box, which we'll also look at later, it kicks off a different Wizard for how to use the combo box. So anyway, a lot of cool stuff going on here. The Control Wizards are really, really neat, and they make it look like you've been up all night programming.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.