Welcome to the movie entitled Adding Controls and in this video I want to take you through the process of not only adding Controls, but giving them functionality. Now in a video entitled Form Controls, I talked about the fact that if we create a form and notice I'm going to click on Students, we'll go from square one here, click on Students, click on Form, and I'll just do an Auto Form here, and I'm going to make Property sheet go away. Notice that we end up with a nice cool form here, I'll pull it back, and we can easily move through our form by clicking on the Next button, and the Previous button down here. However, this is not intuitive for users, and it's also small and kind of hard for them to get to, and you'll make your bar pop up at the bottom, and it drives you nuts. So we want to add a Control onto this form, in the standard Windows type Graphical User Interface style, and give the users something to use to move back and forth in their records, so this is going to be a good tutorial on, first of all, dropping controls on here, and giving those controls functionality. Now the first thing you need to notice is that these controls, if you're looking in Layout View, are grouped together, and if I try to drop controls on here, if I click on it, and try to draw, notice it's going to try and put them inside here, in various places alright? And so what I would suggest that you do, is right click, go to Design View, and then we can click on our Controls, and then put them wherever we would like them to be OK? And so that gives me a Command button, and then I can click and get me another Command button, and I will just, draw them about the same size, somewhere around that. We can re-size them a little bit later on, but notice I have Command 35 and 36. Now these are totally useless buttons right now. If I go to Form View, and click them, absolutely nothings happening, so what I want to do now, is save my form, and do you want to save any changes to Students Two, and we'll say Yes, and let's call this Student Controls. Just for an example, and so there's our form, Student Controls, and let's open that up. Now let's go into Design View, and let's talk about what we can do with this. If I click on this button, and I go to the Properties Sheet, you will notice, that if I go to Format, the caption on the button shows as 35, just like I see here. Well I want to change that, I'll click here, and change it to Next. Then when I click anywhere else, it goes to next. I'll click this one, got to the Format Tab, Caption, and I'll say Previous. And, we've at least changed the name of these things. If we right click now, and go to Form View, they at least say the right things, but if I click, they're still not doing anything for us, so let's look at how easy it is to make this happen. Click on the Control, go to Event, and make sure there's nothing here. If there's nothing here in the On Click Method, and I click this little Ellipses, notice it takes me to the Choose Builder Window, and I can choose how I want to build my Code. Let me show you why this is a big deal. If I choose the drop down, and choose Event Procedure and then do this, it drops me straight into the Visual Basic for Applications Code Editor, and I don't want that alright? That's more advanced, so what I'll do is, I'll double click, or triple click here, highlight all that, take it out, again, I've clicked the Button I want to have the action happen on, gone to the Event that I want On Click, clicked on the Ellipses, and I'm going to choose Macro Builder. Here's where it gets easy. I will click on the drop down, and I want to go to a record, choose that, now just answer questions. What's my object type? Well it's a Form. What's the object name? It's Student Controls. What record do you want to go to, when you click the button? Well I can go previous, next, first, last, go to, or new. I will choose Next, and then I will simply close this out, it'll ask me, do you want to save these changes? Yes, and now the magic happens. I right click, I go to Form View, and when I click Next, notice, we jump to the next records. So while we're on a role, let's go do the other one. Click on Previous, I will go to Event On Click, I'll hit the Ellipses with nothing here. It gives me the choice of Macro Builder, I take that, and I scroll down, go to Record, Object type, working on a form, Object name, Student Controls, what record? This one is going to be previous, so I will choose that. Close it. Yes I want to save that. And now, notice what I have if I go to Form View. Next takes me to the next record, Previous takes me back. Now is this doing anything different from this stuff down here? No absolutely not. However, it's a little easier and more intuitive for users to use this OK? And then I want to show you one last thing, very easy now that I have these buttons built, I can get myself some room down here, and I can very easily, move these guys around, so I will grab Previous, drop it down here. I will grab Next, drop it down here next to it, let's put them, kind of close together, go out to my Form View, and notice, now because of the size of my screen and the resolution, I'd have to scroll down to see them, but I can very easily move between them. By moving them around, I haven't changed my Code at all. So that's how I can add functionality, and that's a very basic, very simple example. But kind of work with that, play with it, just get out there, and kind of, click around, and see what other cool stuff you can do by writing those Macros without writing, notice, we didn't write a single bit of VBA Code, but we have some cool functionality.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.