Now let's take a little tour of the Access environment, and I want to talk to you about getting around in Access because it's a little different than what you may have seen before. And you will notice, right off the bat, that I have a database open here and this is almost exactly what we are going to build in this course here, it's called Lesson City. It's what this one's called. Ours will probably be called something slightly different. But basically I've got the Students Table in here and, if I double-click the Students Table, it will pop up. And these are some students, and these people take music lessons, and we're going to talk about a very simple little app to manage some of that so that I can show you some of the features and cool things you can do in Access 2010. Now, you can see over here in this little Object Explorer that if I click on the drop-down here that I can see All Access Objects or I can just see them Filtered by just the Tables, and that's just the tables that I have, just the Queries that I have, and that's All Objects, and so that's kind of cool. And I can click on these things, just single-click on them and close them up, and as you work in a real world environment you'll have a lot more tables, a lot more queries, a lot more forms and reports, and so forth that will show up out here. And so, by being able to housekeep out here by clicking and expanding and collapsing it makes things a lot better. So, this is really the Navigation Pane and I can move that to the left, and you'll notice it gets out of the way and stays out of the way, and I can just come back and click it again and get that back. But this is great when I want the whole screen to work on out here on my tables, queries or whatever. Now let's shift our attention to the top. Right up here is the Quick Access Toolbar and one of the cool things in Access 2010 are more Options on the Quick Access Toolbar and the ability to customize these Ribbon items up here. But, first of all, on the Quick Access Toolbar you need to make friends with this guy right away because this is a one-click access to things. Now notice, all we've got right now is the Undo and we have this little guy right here, and this is just telling us that we have our application open. Notice the little separator there. Well, if I click the little drop-down right here, for example, let's say that I want to get to the Open so I can open other databases really quickly. Then I'll just click this and notice it put the little Open icon up here. Well, now, instead of having to go out to File and go to Open to get this, what I can do now is from within my database at any point just come up here and click on Open, one click, and boom, there I am. Now, right quick let me show you, if I click on this drop-down, and right here at the top it says Customize. If I come down to More Commands now notice what I can do. I can take any Command I want, notice that's the Popular Command, so let's look at All Commands, alright? And so, anything that I like to do quite a bit I can drop up to the top up there and then get it anytime I want to. And let's take a look at something that would be kind of easy - let me scroll down here - and, let's say Find, OK? I click on Find, I move it over to Add, there it is. I can move it up or down if I would like. I'll do it right there. That'll put it on the far right side. And notice there is Find. And so if I have something open and I can find, like a Table, I can just click on that and then Find will happen in that document. So, that's one to get used to and play with. And then you will notice that we have first the Backstage View on the File Tab, then Home, this is all your general stuff - Create, this is really cool, if you need to create anything new working in Access. Tables, SharePoint Lists here, Queries, Forms, Reports, Macros. Anything we need to create, any of our objects, are right here on the Create Menu. External Data - if we want to import data into Access or export data from Access somewhere this is where we're going to do it. And notice it's telling me here this is for importing or bringing it in; these are for exporting or pushing it out; and then we can collect data from various places. Then we have our Database Tools, and you can tell here if we're going to create relationships on our Tables, if I click this I can see Relationships in my tables. I can hide certain tables, I can do all kind of cool things. Now, will we be in here quite a bit doing things? Yes. Is there a rhyme or reason for these Tabs? I haven't seen it, OK? You'll just have to get used to it. That's bad instruction, I know, but that's the best that I can tell you about these things. There is one cool shortcut, though. If you press the Alt key it will show you the keyboard shortcuts for these things, alright? And so, notice if I go to the Create Tab and press the Alt key it is telling me that if I click C right here it will take me to Table Design, OK, and so I can click Alt-C and then T D and notice there I am in Table Design. I didn't do anything with a mouse. So Alt-C T D, notice how quick I can do it. Alt-C T D, and there I am on Table Design. So, if you want to learn those things they're really cool if you like that kind of deal, and you don't have to take your hand off the keyboard and you can memorize those things. It's great for that kind of stuff, alright? So, as you can tell, there's a lot going on in this interface. We're going to see it a lot. You'll use it a lot as you go through this course with me building these tables, making these changes, looking at features, and you will get confident with them. And you'll get used to where they are, and without even thinking you'll find yourself jumping to these various functionalities, trust me. But you will spend a fair amount of time early on kind of going, wait a minute, I know I've seen that somewhere. Where was it? And, somehow it just kind of starts to flow naturally, OK? So, that's how you're going to get around in Access 2010, and that will kind of start to become more natural to you as we go through the course.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.