In this lesson I'm going to show you how to Import and Export Accounts in MYOB Accounting. We're actually going to cover Exporting first because doing this will give us a file that we can then import back into MYOB. To export data from MYOB choose File, and Export Data. You can see here that we can export a huge range of things out of MYOB. The Export process for many of these, though, is the same or very similar to the one we're going to be going through. We'll be covering the ones with significant differences later on as we progress through this course. To Export our Accounts, choose Accounts, and Account Information. And now we get to make some choices. First up is the Export File Format. We get a choice of Tab-delimited or Comma-separated. Which one of these you choose will depend really on where you plan on using this information. Some third-party programs prefer one format or the other and many of them can work with either. If you're exporting to use in another MYOB Company File you can also use either format. In this example I'm going to open our Exported File in Microsoft Excel, which can also handle either format so we're going to set this to Tab-delimited. The next option box is labeled First Record is. Now if you've ever used a spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel you may know that sometimes the first row displays the name of each column, or field, instead of just the data. To export your Accounts List like this, choose the Header Record option. To export without that first row choose Data Record. The next option is used to choose which month you would like Account Balances exported from. The Accounts List itself always stays the same but your balances will, of course, change over time, so select a Financial Year here and a Month. Let's hit Continue, and in this window we select which Fields we want to actually include in our export. On the right we have a list of Fields that are able to be exported and on the left we're shown the Fields that we have currently selected for export. At the start there are none selected, so let's select a few. To do this just single-click an entry on the right. Now this entry appears on the left and we know that it's going to be Exported. Let's click a few more and we can see now that we're given a little more information on the right. We're given the Export Order. Let's pop back over to Excel, and this Export Order simply determines which order these columns are going to be in. In this example the first one is Account Number, second one is Account Name, and so on. In many cases, this doesn't really matter, but sometimes it does and I usually just take the Save option and make sure that all of the Fields are in their Default order. And we can do this quite easily as well as select all the Fields for Export at one time by clicking the Match All button. Everything is selected now and it's all in the right order. To pull all of the entries out at once and start over, click Unmatch All. And finally, notice that the Account Number Field here has an asterisk next to it. This means that it's a required field and we're going to have to export at least this Field. OK, now that everything's ready let's hit the Export button and we're prompted for a File Name and a location to save it in. The default is ACCOUNTS.TXT, it's a text file, and I'll keep that and save it. Now let's have a look at our file. As I mentioned, I'm using Microsoft Excel, and here it is. Our Field Names are here at the top and all the data is in columns. I've included this file named ACCOUNTS.TXT in the Chapter 03 Folder in the Work Files. OK, let's see now how we Import a file like this back into MYOB. Choose File, and Import Data, Accounts, and Account Information. Now we're going to need to know two things about the file we're about to import. Number one, the File Format and number two, what the first record is. We've got things easy in our example because we just exported the file and we simply need to set these the same as they were during the Export. If you're importing a file that you've received from someone else, though, you'll need to either ask them about the file, or inspect the file yourself using a Plain Text Editor. Next, we need to tell MYOB what to do with Duplicate Records. It can either Reject them or Update and already existing record with the new information. We'll leave this set to Reject. Hit Continue, and now we pick the file to Import. Here's the one we just exported, so let's choose that. Similar to before, we now get to choose the Fields that we want to import. Notice again that the Account Number Field has an asterisk next to it. Hit the Match All button to select everything in its proper order, and hit Import. This will now process and we're shown an Import Summary. No errors, no warnings, but no records were actually imported and 120 records were skipped, so now we should probably find out why this has happened. MYOB Accounting keeps a log of the Import process, so if you want more information about how the Import went, look in the folder where your Company File is held for the file MYOBLOG.TXT. In a default installation like mine this is simply the myob18 Folder on my C drive. Before you can open the log file though, you'll have to click the OK button to finish this Import process otherwise you'll get an error message telling you that the file is already in use. So, I'll OK that, and let's go find that MYOBLOG file. Let's find it in here, and there it is. Open this file in a Text Editor and look down the left side. This first column displays any errors encountered during the Import process, and they all seem to have the error -5, what does this mean? Well, let's scroll all the way down to the bottom and we can see that this error is for Duplicate Account Number, and this is expected, and it means that our example has just gone perfectly. At the start of this lesson we exported all of our Accounts from our Company File. The actual Accounts though were still present in our Company File after the Export, so we basically just exported a copy. During the Import process we told MYOB to reject any duplicate records, and since the Accounts in our Import file were exactly the same as the ones already present in our Company File they were all rejected, or skipped, as the log tells us here. During actual Imports of business files you wouldn't expect to see these same messages, but hopefully now you know where to look to find any problems that might crop up. And that brings us to the end of this lesson on Importing and Exporting Accounts.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.