Welcome back to Introduction to Drupal. We started off by talking about the system requirements, the technology requirements that are necessary to run Drupal. Drupal is an open-source content-management Framework to develop websites rapidly and deploy them out to live web servers rapidly. However, not only do you need Drupal but you also need an underlying Framework of technology to run your Drupal site on. We mentioned the big players and the pitcher. The players are MySQL, which is going to run your database. When you install Drupal, you also need to create a database for your Drupal data, for your website and so MySQL is the database that Drupal uses. You can actually run Drupal off of other database-type database servers. One is PostgreSQL and I think there may be people trying to make it work with MsSQL but I'm not an expert on that so you'd have to query Drupal.org for that information. I may be wrong about that. MySQL is the one you want to use. And I also mentioned that you need PHP, which is Hypertext Pre-Processor. It's a scripting language and Drupal runs on PHP. What's really cool is that PHP is the scripting language that is used to build Drupal, so the Drupal developers all use PHP to code up their Drupal stuff, all the modules that we're going to talk about. Now, Drupal.org has a bunch of info. I would definitely recommend reading this, you know, along with my tutorials, go through this documentation. Read all of it. It's really important. Understand Drupal Concepts. This gives you, you know, some general concepts about Drupal. You know, is Drupal the right job, right tool for the job? I see this question all the time on Drupal.org and I always point people to this page because it will, you know, it asks all the questions and then answers them as far as should I use Drupal for my website. So here's the page to read. And then the technology stack, which is what we're talking about. Here's what you need. You need a server, right? You got to run your, run your website from a server. You need an OS and pretty much, you know, the Drupal software will run on any OS, right, any OS. It's not dependent on one or the other. I like to let it, I like to run it on Linux but, you know, you can run it on UNIX, you know, Mac OS X and Windows. You need a database, which is MySQL and you need a web server, which would be Apache or Microsoft IIS and you need PHP. We talked about that. And you need Drupal. There's also a note here on the Drupal.org website regarding Drupal 7 and the version of PHP that Drupal 7 will run on. Currently Drupal Version 7 is about, approximately six to seven months from being released. There's still quite a lot of work to do in the development community on Drupal 7 but you can start thinking about this. It gives you a lot of time to plan your migration from Drupal 5 or 6 site to a Drupal 7 site. You're going to need to be developing that site on a PHP 5.2 Version PHP application on the server. So Drupal 7 will not run on any PHP versions that are earlier than 5.2. That's my understanding at this point about how Drupal 7's going to work and run. So you want to make sure that if you're going to be moving and migrating to a Drupal 7 site or if you're going to install Drupal 7 once it's released that you have PHP 5.2 or higher running on your server. Drupal version numbering, a lot of info here. You know, what the whole version numbering thing is about. You can read that. We're, again, in this series we're going to use Drupal 6. We're using Drupal 6. But Drupal 5 and Drupal 6 are both still being released. Drupal 6.9 is the latest. Drupal 5.15 is the latest flavor of Drupal 5. Terminology; this is a big one. Lots of good, it's a glossary basically, lots of good Drupal terms there. And then, you know, back here there's also on the Getting Started Guide there's an Install Guide and you can go to that. This shows you how to go through and install your site. So again, the system requirements. Here are even more in-depth system requirements. Here it tells you that you need, you know, the recommended requirement is Apache and the versions. I've run most of my sites on Apache 2. It also run on Microsoft IS. There are some nuances that you'd have to read to get it to work on IIS. You'll need to do some of these fixes. Mostly to do with getting clean URLs enabled on your site. The recommended version of PHP, which would be 5. OK? And, you know, this is good to read because it has all the recommended PHP settings in here, lots of good stuff. This is an important one. Register globals in your PHP settings. It needs to be disabled. I've run into a lot of issues with this on some shared hosts. Shared hosts are notorious for leaving registered globals turn on. It has to be disabled and you, you actually can disable it by tweaking that in the PHP INI File on your root directory. And then your database server is going to be MySQL and again, 4 or 5, preferably 5. Although Drupal 6 works with 4 or higher. And then also a flavor of PostgreSQL if you need to use that one. Now, and of course there's people comments too and other people have things they've said about what they've run into, some of the issues they've run into. Browser requirements; this is interesting. Here's a list of browsers known to work with Drupal. All of the, basically all of the new browsers, right? Internet 6 and up, Firefox 2 and up, Opera 7, Safari and Camino. So we're going to use Firefox a lot in this tutorial series and I, you know, we'll probably take a look at the sites in Safari from time to time. I'm not a big Internet Explorer fan so I'm going to, I'm not forcing you to use Firefox. You can use whatever browser you'd like. If you have Internet Explorer, go ahead and use it. But, you know, I really encourage you to use Firefox or Safari. So what are the things you're going to need for this series? You're going to need to go through my install process. We're going to install an application called MOWES Portable. This is going to give you all those technology stack apps you need; PHP, MySQL and Apache. We'll go those installed, you'll be all set there. So all you, the only other thing you really need is you're going to need to download Drupal. We're going to go through that process and you're going to need a web browser. You know, when it comes to website, that's the main deal. You really need to have a web browser on your machine to be able to view websites. So go ahead and, you know, if you're not familiar with Firefox, head over to the Firefox home page, grab Firefox, download it. It's a really cool browser. Firefox 3, go ahead and download it. It's free. Run it, install it on your machine, make it your default browser. You'll be happy. You can also run, continue to run Internet Explorer. So get IE 7 if you have that one or IE 6 will be fine too. Firefox and you may also want to download and install Safari. This is what Safari looks like. We'll fire that one up and Safari actually has flavors of its browser, oops, for Windows. So if you're on a Mac you'll have it by default. If you're on a PC, you can download it for PC. So those are my requirements. Have a good web browser working, whether that's Firefox or Safari. Here's the Safari browser. Safari.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.