Welcome back to Introduction to Drupal. We're talking about installing Drupal on in a production environment and I'm showing you how to do this on my shared host, which is, I run it with HostMonster. That's the company. It's a shared host environment. It's Linux and it's running PHP 5 and MySQL 5 and so in the previous tutorial we walked through the creation of MySQL database. I showed you how to do this using the MySQL Wizard tool that comes with cPanel. We went ahead and created our database and we noted down the information about that database because we're going to need that when we do the install. The other thing that I did was I showed you my databases via phpMyAdmin and we saw the Drupal database that we created. It's currently got zero tables but it is indeed there. It's waiting to be populated by our install process. So, so far everything's working well. OK. Here's what we're going to do next. The next thing we have to do is we're going to download Drupal 6.9 and we'll put that on our Desktop. Let's go ahead and download that. So that's on our Desktop. Good. And we're going to come over here to our cPanel. So we're still logged into our cPanel and we're going to go to File Manager. This is, you can do this, you can upload your Drupal tar.gz files via FTP if you wanted to. I can create an FTP account on my server but I'm going to use the built-in cPanel File Manager utility to do this. It's actually easier. So I'm going to click on File Manager, click Go. This is going to put me at my home directory. This is on the server and I'm going to go down to, just click on that to refresh, Public HTML, which is the folder where all my web files are. Public HTML. Public HTML is where I actually want to upload the Drupal folder. So notice that I have a bunch of Drupal folders in here. OK? And I actually already have Drupal 69 in here, these tar.gz's. I'm going to delete these just to show you how this works. And I'm going to re-upload. First I'm going to re-upload my Drupal 69 tar.gz file and so that's going to upload the zip file folder to my Public HTML directory. So we'll let that go. Once that gets uploaded I'm then going to extract it. OK. So that uploaded. I'm going to go back to Public HTML and I'm going to go ahead and look for that folder. It's right here. I'm going to extract it, extract files. It's going to create a file called Drupal 69. Extractions results, good. And you'll notice that there is now a folder called Drupal 69, at which point I'm going to highlight that folder and I'm going to rename it and we're going to go ahead and call this site Polyhedra for lack of a better term at this point. So my site is going, so this is where I can rename my folder and call my site whatever I want to call it. So it's uploaded Drupal to a folder location at root level of my server and now I have a site ready to go. Now, I can go ahead and go to the site by going to my server and here's my web server, VariantCube.com and I can go ahead and type in the name of the website and that's going to load my Drupal installer. OK? So everything's looking good and I can click Install Drupal in English. Now, what's going to happen is Drupal's going to recognize that I haven't actually, it's looking for the Settings file and remember with Drupal 6 the Settings file comes shipped as Default.Settings.php. You actually have to rename that. So I'm going to go into my folder from my site and I'm going to go into my Sites folder, Default and I'm going to grab that, I'm going to copy that file. No, it won't let me do that. So let's download it to my Desktop. Probably be the easiest thing. Let's download it to my Desktop and let's open that up. Let's actually copy that, paste it and then rename that. Good. Ah, doesn't like that. Doesn't. OK. So now we have a Settings PHP file and I'm going to upload that Settings PHP file. OK, it's there now. And then I have to tweak the permissions. So I'm going to highlight it, go to Change Permissions. I'm going to give execute and write permissions for the moment for the entire file. And for everyone. OK, so there's my Settings file. Then I'm going to come back here and refresh this. Good. So it looks like we're ready to go with the install. So what we did just by way of review is we downloaded the Default.Settings file. We renamed it Settings, re-uploaded it and then tweaked our permissions so it's writable. You need to do that for the install. OK, now we're going to go to our database. Our database name, plug that in there and our user name I think was that and our password. Let's just double check that. Yup. Good. So we have our database name in, our user name and our password. I'm going to click Save and Continue and Drupal is now installing on my shared production server. The install went well. It says all necessary changes to sites default and settings file have been made so I can go ahead and rename the site now. Polyhedra Drupal plug in an email address. This is creating the site name and email address. Plug in an admin account, password and we're good to go. Enable Clean URLs, Save and Continue and at this point this will finish up the install process. Visit our new site and there you go. So now we have VariantCube.com/Polyhedra, brand-new Drupal site installed on my shared production environment. So we're good to go. We'll come back and in the third part of this tutorial I'm going to show you some just general configuration stuff to finish up the this install but this went really smooth. We went ahead and created our MySQL database and then patched it through to our Drupal site and ran the Drupal installer and now we have a brand-new Drupal site on our shared server.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.