Welcome back to Introduction to Drupal. We walked through an install process of Drupal on our local Desktop. We installed Drupal to the C drive using the MOWES Portable application. This is one method of installing Drupal and it, and it works for any kind of sandbox development site that we want to run. Our site's not actually, the site we've been working on here is actually in production. You can't actually browse to it over the web. It's only going to work in a local host environment from your specific Desktop or from a USB drive if you plug your USB into a computer. There will come a time when you're going to run or rollout your site to a production environment and there are a huge amount of different scenarios for this. I mean, you could have a dedicated server, Linux server or Windows server that you were going to use as a web server and you wanted to run Drupal sites off of that. That might be at your company, at your business. You may work closely with your system administrators to set up that type of configuration. What I'm going to do is I am going to show you how to do a production install of Drupal. I'm going to walk you through this process on my shared hosting environment. I use a host for my own development server called HostMonster. They're a company that does web hosting. It's not, you know, there are tons of different web hosting companies. Many of them have pluses and so you're going to have to explore and find the one that you want to use. They run a huge gamut as far as pricing and different functionality and services that they all provide. There's many of them. You know, from GoDaddy to SiteGround to HostMonster to Lunarpages to all sorts of different types of web hosting out there. I chose HostMonster as my shared host environment. What I'm going to do is I'm going to walk you through, this is the main HostMonster site here and it, you know, this is shared hosting. It's nothing fancy and it's pretty reasonably priced per month so it's a shared host environment. It's not dedicated. I don't have shell access to my server so I do everything with the Control Panel that they give me. So what I'm going to do here is I'm going to log into my Control Panel to actually show you this process. So this is a Linux server. I'm actually logged in now via the HostMonster Control Panel, which is cPanel. Many hosts use cPanel. There are other utilities out there like Plesk for instance. And again, your host will have their own specific type of Control Panel. This gives me access to my server and it tells me how many MySQL databases I have running and all sorts of information about my server, specifically to my server. It has links to phpMyAdmin, FTP accounts on the MySQL database administrator. You can also get to that from the main Control Panel area here. Down here in the files area there's a link to File Manager and if I go ahead and click on that I can browse to my home directory on my web server and then to the public HTML directory, which is basically where all the websites live. So here are all the sites that are installed on my server. There's quite a few of them. I run a lot of different development Drupal sites. So what I've done here in the public HTML is I've installed Drupal multiple times and each Drupal site gets its own folder. So that's the File Manager. I also have access to set up MySQL databases and to a phpMyAdmin. So I can go to phpMyAdmin very similar to how we're running it in local host except this is a phpMyAdmin on a live server but basically it looks the same. It's got all my databases in there. Now, I don't, they don't actually allow access to set up privileges in user accounts via phpMyAdmin so I have to do that with the MySQL Database Wizard. So that's the first thing we're going to do. Let's go a head and set up a database for our Drupal site that we're going to install. It'll be a Drupal 6 site. Oh, and by the way, this also tells me PHP and MySQL versions that I'm running on my production server; 528 PHP and 567 for MySQL. So let's click on this MySQL Database Utility and you may have this with your specific shared host as well. I'm going to go ahead and do that. I'm going to go ahead and create a new database here and we'll call this Drupal 6 Test and we're going to go ahead and create this database. Notice that on shared host environments, a lot of times what the shared host will do is they'll pre-pend the database name with the user account name. So Variant C, you actually need that in the configuration file when you run your install for Drupal. So that's important. So I'm just going to copy that and we'll do a run of, we'll just run, let's see. We'll copy, we'll actually remember that. Variant C Drupal 6 Test. I'm just going to try to run Word Pad here, we'll paste it in there so that we remember. OK, good. Go back. So we've created the database. Now what we're going to do is we're going to scroll down here and we're going to create the user name. And we'll just do the same here. Actually seven characters max so let's do DRU Test. DRU Test. And it prompts me for the password. OK. So we'll remember that user equals DRU Test. And this is also going to be pre-pended with the Variant C. So we have our user and we have our database. Now, the trick with MySQL Wizard is that you actually have to add the user. So here is my user and I have to add it to the database. And give it all privileges. Very similar to what we did with phpMyAdmin. Make changes. Good. OK, so now we have this information and I'm also going to add that to my Word Pad document just so I remember. And we're ready to go here. So we have our MySQL database created using our MySQL Wizard in cPanel and when we come back I'm going to go ahead and run the Drupal install and show you how to do that on this shared host environment.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.