Welcome back to Introduction to Drupal. In this tutorial we're going to go ahead and complete our initial installation of Drupal. We're ready to go for the install. We, in the last tutorial we created our, we got our database set up, Drupal 6 database. That currently has zero tables and our database user. We also took a look at the directory structure for our Drupal site and we learned that we needed to go into the Sites folder, Default, copy the Settings file, rename it Settings.php and also create a Files folder. So we're ready to go at this point. We have all of our preinstall checklist completed and we can go ahead and complete the installation. So to do that I ran local host-Drupal in my browser and that loaded the Drupal installer. Drupal asks you what language you want to install in. I'm going to, in this tutorial we're going to install Drupal in English but you can certainly install Drupal in other languages if you install some language pack modules into the Drupal installation. But for this tutorial we're going to go ahead and install Drupal in English. So I'm going to click on that link. Now, remember when we created our database, we named our database Drupal 6 and we named the database user the same; Drupal 6. We need to know that information now. Drupal asks you for the database information and you have to populate these fields with that info. So I'm going to go ahead and type Drupal 6 in here and I'll copy that. I know the user name is the same and paste that in there and then I'm going to type the database password that I created when I created the user. So this is the password for that database user. So I've got my name, database name, user name and password in there and I'm going to go ahead and click Save and continue and we'll tell Firefox not to remember that password currently. That's the only time we're going to have to remember the MySQL password. At this point, once it's installed and we'll be good to go and we won't need to remember that. But that's something you want to note down when you actually create your database. The user name and password is important for the installer. OK, so Drupal has run the installer and it lets us know that all changes have been made to that Settings file. The Settings file is the configuration file, which is here and so at this point we can go ahead and, oh, actually, Drupal, by default, sets it to Read Only for security. So people can't actually access that file and write over it or write to it. And we're going to go ahead and give our site a name. The name of the site is the main name of our website. So we'll call this My First Drupal website. And the site email address is going to be my Gmail address and you want to put in a valid email address there. This is important for any kind of communication from the website to you. It will come via email. So if you forget your user password and you need a new one, it will send that information to that email address and so this is very important. Now, it's not going to work in our local host environment because we're not running SMTP Mail Server from local host so we'll actually get an error. But we can ignore that error safely and but just be aware that emails will not be sent from our Drupal site while we're working in a local host environment. But we still put it in there because it's a required field. Now, the Administrator account is the super user admin account for our Drupal site. This is the main super user account. This account can do everything to our site. It's a very important account. And only you want to remember the user name and password for this account. Don't give this out to anybody. This account has default permissions to do everything on the website as far as an administrator. So I'm going to go ahead and create an account. I usually call my super user account Admin but you can, of course, give it whatever user name you'd like. Email address is the same as my main email and then I'm going to go ahead and type a password in here. What's nice about Drupal is Drupal will test the password strength. I don't have a very sophisticated password in here, no special characters so it's telling me the password is low. But you can throw some special characters in there and it will change the password strength to medium or to strong, et cetera. So let's put a password in and let's confirm that password and with a little built of jQuery built in here, Drupal checks that the passwords match. So it's pretty nice as well. So I've got my password set. I'm going to make sure that Clean URLs are enabled. This Clean URLs means that your Drupal sites will run clean web addresses without the extra characters like the question mark and the equal sign. They will just be words up here in the web address field, no special characters. So I have Clean URLs enabled and I'm going to make sure that Drupal checks for my updates so that I know that my site is updated with the latest version of Drupal. Drupal will actually communicate with the Drupal.org website for those updates. So this our main installer. All of our fields are completed. We're ready to finish this up. So I'm going to click Save and Continue and let this run and Drupal's going to finish the install process and this takes a couple, a few seconds. Now, remember that I told you that you'd get an error message so don't panic about that. This just has to do with the fact that we don't have SMTP configured for our mail. We'll ignore that for now. Congratulations. Our site has been installed. Everything checks out and we can click on this link to go to our site and there you have it. Now I'm completely installed. A brand-new Drupal site, my first Drupal website. Drupal keeps you logged in as that super user Admin when it first launches. And then it gives you some default content here. And gives you some instructions on how to get started and we're going to talk about that. Before we go there, though, one other link is important; the My Account link. You can actually change your, if you wanted to change your super user Admin password now to something else, you could do that. Click on My Account. This brings up a screen with the user name. You can click on Edit and it has that super user user name, email address and password. So you can immediately change your password if you wanted to do that. I'm going to leave mine set as, to what I set it to for the install process. I'm good to go. I'm going to go ahead and log out of the site momentarily and in the next tutorial I'm going to show you the initial configuration and how to actually start getting content and other initial configuration setup for our site going.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.