Welcome back to Introduction to Drupal. In this tutorial we're going to go ahead and get our Drupal site configured. This will probably be a multi-part tutorial. Configuration, the initial configuration is a bunch of steps that we need to go through to get things ready for developing our website. In the last tutorial you'll recall we completed the install of our Drupal site and that's what we have here; a fresh, new Drupal 6.8 install ready to go and ready to be populated with web content. This is the web address for our site, local host /Drupal. You'll also recall that our database had been sitting there with zero tables in it because we hadn't installed Drupal yet. But notice now that once the install process is completed, the Drupal database table now is populated with data. The installer has populated our database with 46 tables. These are all of the database tables from our Drupal site. So this is our MySQL database with all of the core Drupal tables. We're not going to get into these in any kind of detail right now but just be aware that our database is now populated with tables and those tables will start accepting the data from our site as we put content into our website. So let's go ahead and get some things configured on our Drupal site. I'm going to go ahead and log into the site with my super user admin user name and password and once I get logged in I have, let's talk generally about how Drupal sites are set up in core Drupal. When Drupal gets installed, the theme that Drupal uses out of the box, core Drupal is called Garland. And the theme is all of the layout and design of the site. Why there's a blue header up here and a left-side bar with this navigation, there is a Drupal water drop icon here for our site logo and this is our site name, which the site name is always clickable back to the home page of the site, as is the logo and then up here in our web browser we also have the water droplet favicon. That shows up in our web URL. If we scroll down our site we have web content in our right sidebar and then if we scroll down more, we have a footer area of the site with a Drupal icon in the footer as well. So that's the basic layout of our core Drupal site; header area, left sidebar, right content sidebar and then a footer down at the bottom. We're going to go ahead and do some initial configuration. To initial, do some initial configuration of our Drupal site, we're going to click on the Administer Link and there are a few things we want to do to before we even start adding content to our Drupal site. We want to check on some things and make sure everything's running smoothly. Drupal's going to throw us this message that says Cron has not run and please visit status report. So the first thing that I do is I click on that Status Report Link and if it doesn't show there you can also get it by scrolling down in your Administration Menu all the way down to the bottom of the Report Section and there's a link for Status Report there as well. So I'm going to go ahead and click on that. The Status Report is very helpful. This report tells us how everything's running with our Drupal site. It shows us that we're running Drupal 6.8 and that our Update PHP File and our Settings.php File, that's this file here, that those are protected. They're read access only. It also tells us that we have our core update status is up to date so we don't have to do any patching of our Drupal site yet, that we're running a MySQL database via MOWES Portable of 5 and we have a PHP setup of 5. And our PHP memory limit's 32 meg and we have Register Globals disabled. These are all very good settings and our web server is Apache. So you want to be able to see green checks all the way down. Now, here it's telling us Cron has not run. Cron is a task that we can force to run on the server and what Cron does is it helps to keep performance of your site running smoothly, speed up performance and also to index the search capability of the Drupal site so if you turn the Search Module on it will index your site. It's just a good idea to run Cron periodically. I usually run Cron at least once a day on my Drupal site, if not more often. So to do that I'm going to click on this Run Cron Manually Link and since there's not too much data on our site it runs very quickly. Cron ran successfully and notice now that we're very good with our Status Report. Everything checks out. So it's the first configuration piece that I do, that I run. Click back on Administer here or over here and I'm going to scroll down and go under the Site Configuration area of my Administration Menu. I'm going to click on Clean URLs. Now, I know Clean URLs are enabled already because I set that as the default when I ran the Drupal installer but I'm just pointing out to you where it is if you need to go in and enable them. You can still do that. Click on Clean URLs and make sure that they are enabled. And Drupal tells you that this makes Drupal emit clean URLs without the special characters in the web address. You'll notice up here that this is indeed a clean URL. So that's nice. So let me go back to Site Configuration and I'm going to then check on Date and Time. And here you can set your default site time zone. This looks good to me for East Coast Time Zone. And you can also pick the day of the week that you want as the first day. So I'll choose Monday. And then the kind of date formatting that you want. I'm going to leave these set to the defaults but you can choose different date formats and these would be the formats that might display on a post when you submit content to the site, that type of thing. So I'm going to save my configuration and then I'm good with my date and time, go back to Site Configuration and I'm going to click on File System and this shows us the path to our Files Folder. This is very important to make; just check that Drupal has this set correctly. Remember, we created the Files Folder and so we want to make sure that that Files Folder is what's referenced in this path. And it is so that's good. And then our Temporary Directory, that's where files are temporarily stored when they're uploaded. That usually set to a default in the PHP Folder and that's fine. And then our Download Method should be set to Public because every file, image file and document that I upload to my site I want to be accessible by public. When somebody anonymously comes to my website they can view the images and download the files. Now, if you were setting up an Internet type of website or you wanted to restrict access to files, you can set it to Private and then if somebody comes to your site via public machine, not logged into your site as a Drupal user, they won't be able to download files. It's a good setting to know about. So that's the File System Settings. We're going to go back to Site Configuration and we will finish up with this general configuration in the next tutorial. We have a few more to check but again, all of the main site configuration is in the Administration Menu area under Site Configuration section and here are the links to those configuration items. So we talked about Clean URLs, Date and Time and File System. And in the next tutorial I'm going to show you how to finish up the initial site configuration.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.