So in this section of the lab we are going to set up VTP. Now we've got our VLANs configured, we'll do Show VLAN just to get them up on the screen and, and review a little bit. Got our three VLANs, each with a port in them but no VTP is going out. Now I'm going to go in and set a VTP Domain Name and when I do that, a lot of stuff's going to happen really quickly. Namely that, because all of the switches have a null VTP Domain Name, when I set it on this server, it's going to synchronize out to all of the other switches on the network. And the main reason for this, is if I go back in here and do Show VTP Status again, my configuration revision is higher than anybody else on the network and I've gone and verified that myself. But if this were lower then, once I push this out, then any switches that had a configuration revision of higher than 16 would just overwrite the changes that I've done. Now how I verified that is, it's kind of a trick and, and it's not really a trick, it's working by design. If we do a Dir Flash on this guy, you'll see this file right here named VLAN.dat. Now that's where all the VLAN information is kept, that's also where all of the VTP Configuration information is kept. So if you have a switch that happens to be in a different VTP Domain and you need to bring into this VTP Domain, the best way to do that is to actually go in and delete VLAN.dat, just doing the Del Flash VLAN.dat and I'm not going to do it because I don't want to undo all of my changes. You delete the VLAN.dat, you reboot the switch, then it comes up with no VLANs, no VTP information, no nothing, it's just brain dead out of the box except for any Layer 3 information you've configured in it obviously. At which point it's a lot easier to join that switch to your VTP Domain. So let's go ahead and set this up on Core 2. So we'll do Config T and we'll type VTP and hit Question Mark. We see that we don't have very many Configuration Commands here because VTP's pretty simple at, at it's core. We're going to Set VTP Domain and we're going to say VTC Lab. Once we do that, changing the VTP Domain Name from null to VTC Lab we get a Trap Information here in the console and once we do that, let's go look at the Core Switch over here. So now if we do Show VTP Status, you'll see that it has absorbed this VTC Lab Domain Name. It still thinks it's a server but it's configuration revision is 16. If we do Show VLAN since we've not enabled pruning, it's pushed this out to the Core 1 Switch as well the Access 2 Switch, it's over here as VTC Lab and Access 1, Show VTP Stat over here and it's VTC Lab. And you see that the configuration is last modified by 10.10.1.101 which if we look back over here is Core 2, so it's actually being updated from the switch that expect it to be updated with. Now you'll notice that we're all running VTP 1 so since we have multiple servers on the network, we're going to go back to the one that's our Server Switch. Since it currently has the highest configuration revision and we'll do Config T and we'll do VTP Version 2. Once we do that, it's pushed out just as quickly and if we go back over to this guy, we see that it's now running VTP 2 whereas before it was running VTP 1, it was capable of VTP 2. The last thing we would do in a production network is go into all of these Access Switches and the Core Switch, go into Config T, do VTP Mode and we'll set the mode to Client. Setting device to VTP Client Mode, at this point, we can no longer make any VLAN changes on this Access Switch. If we go into Config and remember the command we issued up on the core, VLAN 70 for example, it tells us VTP Configuration is not allowed when this device is in Client Mode. Again working as designed and if we now go out and do Show VTP Stat, we now see that we are in Client Operating Mode. Now I won't bore you with doing that on all of the switches but it's the same song and dance you'd go through on Access 2 and Core 1 and I'll, I'll do that when I'm not actually recording. Now this is how you configure VTP information on most modern IOS's. Now if you put this GNS3 and you attempt to get a 3640 router and put a Switch Module in it and do VTP and VLAN Configuration, you'll have to actually use a different method of configuring VLANs and VTP. Now I happen to have a 2900XL which is an old brain dead switch that I keep around just for situations like this and you'll notice that on this switch, I have to actually manually go into the VLAN Database by entering the VLAN Database Command at the EXEC Mode. Once we are in VLAN Database, this is where we actually perform the VTP administrative functions, we can set it to VTP Client, set the name of the Administrative Domain et cetera, et cetera. The commands are pretty much the same although they do require a little more planning because you don't do like VTP Mode Client, you just do VTP Client or VTP Transparent. So you can't just rip a config out of a newer switch and put it into this guy, because it will just barf all over you, it will not work out like you planned. And that concludes our lab about VLAN set up and VTP Configuration.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (642-813 SWITCH)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 102 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.