So in this section of the lab we are going to configure VLANs and then we'll configure VTP to push out those VLANs to all of our Client Switches. Now since the last lab, I have gone into all of our switches and given them Layer 3 addresses on the Default VLAN, VLAN 1. Now I've not done this because it's required, because VTP is a Layer 2 Protocol. However as part of the VTP verification tasks we'll be doing at the end of the lab, part of the Show VTP Status Screen shows us the IP address of the VTP Server that last updated our local VLAN database. And it's a lot easier to track down which switch is actually updating our VLAN database if we have an IP address that we can reference back to this guy. I've also made the Core Router our NTP Server for the entire subnet because some of the later sections of the course work better if you have time synchronized across all of the devices. So with all that out of the way, let's look at our Core 2 Switch. Now Core 2 is going to be our VTP Server, it's where we're going to define all of our VLANs and everything else is going to be a client. So just to show you there's nothing up my sleeve we'll do a Show VLAN on this guy first and you'll see that we have VLAN 1 set as the Default VLAN and all of the Switch Ports on the switch are in this Default VLAN except for our Trunk Ports, Fast Ethernet 01, 02 and 023. So I'm going to create three VLANs, VLAN 10, 15 and 20 and we're going to assign one port to each of these VLANs and then I'm going to set up VTP to push this VLAN Configuration information out. Now there are two ways to create a VLAN on a switch, if this is the VTP Server obviously. One way and this is probably the way most administrators do it, is they just go into the interface and assign it an Access VLAN and if that Access VLAN doesn't exist, it'll create it and the switch will actually tell you that. I think let's do that VLAN 10 and I'll show you what it looks like when you set up that way. So go into Config T, we'll do Interface Fast Ethernet 0 slash 10 and we'll do Switch Port Access VLAN 10. And it actually says Access VLAN does not exist, creating VLAN 10. So now if we exit out of this and we do Show VLAN at this point, it's created VLAN 10 with a very descriptive name of VLAN 0010 or VLAN 10. It says it's active and Port Fast Ethernet 010 is in this VLAN. Now we'll go ahead and create the other two VLANs and give them more descriptive names as well, as well as go in and, and rename VLAN 10 to something a little more descriptive. So we'll go into Config T and we'll do VLAN 10, we'll say name is going to be Sales. We'll exit out of this to get back out to Config Mode, you don't really have to do that on some IOS's but I like to do it because it's a cleaner configuration in, in my opinion. Do VLAN 20, we just created VLAN 20 so now we can give it a name of Marketing and then exit out and do VLAN 15 and give it a name of Research. So now that those three VLANs are configured, we'll do Show VLAN and there are our three VLANs that we've got set up. There all three active but only one of them has a port assigned to it. Now we can easily go and fix that just like we did with the Fast Ethernet 010. We just go into the Config Mode, Interface Fast Ethernet 0 slash 15, Switch Port Access VLAN 15 and you notice we didn't get the message this time that said it was creating it, because it already existed. And we'll do Switch Port 20 and change this Access VLAN to 20 there. Now if we do Show VLAN we have all three VLANs set up, there all three active and they all three have one port in them. And that one ports going to come into play when we discuss cleaning up the VLANs and VTP Pruning elsewhere in the course. Now that we've verified that, that's all good, let's do a Show VTP Status, just to see what VTP says right now. Right now you see that we are running VTP Version 1, we are capable of running everything from VTP Version 1 to 3 because of the type of switch we're on. This is a 3560 switch running the latest IOS available as of early 2012. You'll notice here's those IP addresses that I mentioned. Obviously the last configuration modification was done by this IP and that's us, that's our IP address. You can see that we're configured as a VTP Server, we have eight existing VLANs counting all of the built in Token Ring and FDDI and et cetera et cetera and we're on configuration revision 16 because I've gone through this lab a few times in, in preparation for this. However since all of the devices on the network are configured as VTP Servers, if we go over here to Core 1 for example, if we do Show VLAN, you notice our VLANs have not synchronized over here. Do Show VTP Status, the reason why is that it's considers itself a server with no VTP Domain Name and so it's going to say, well you know, I am a server so I'm not going to accept any updates from you, this Core 2 Switch. Because everything's all null, it's running as default and obviously this is working by design. You don't want VLAN information to be pushed out to all of the other switches without you actually going in and specifically saying I want you to configure this VLAN Domain Name and this VTP Password and all this other stuff like that in a more planned and controlled manner. We're actually going to set all of the VTP up in the next video.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (642-813 SWITCH)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 102 lessons|
Vista/XP/2000, OS X, Linux
QuickTime 7, Flash 8
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.