So we're continuing on with our discussion of VLANs set ups. The first thing we're going to do is get this VLAN Trunk between Core 1 and Core 2 running because we don't want our Access Switches to have to take the brunt of routing all of this Layer 2 traffic through them to get it from one side of the network to the other. Now there are a couple of ways to get this trunk up. Obviously all we have to do is set up one end of the trunk. We set one end of the trunk to Dynamic Desirable and we force one into the trunk to be a Trunk Port, then obviously the other end of the link being Dynamic Auto will pick up the fact that, hey this other end wants to be a trunk and so I'm going to be a trunk on my local end as well. However for our purposes, we don't want there to be any ambiguity to this configuration at all. We're going to set both ports that are between these two Core Switches to be Trunk Ports explicitly, that's all they can ever be. They can only be Trunk Ports, they're not ever going to be Access Ports, we're not even going to try anything else. And you'll notice once we set this up on Core 2, that the Trunk Port will come up on both Core 2 and Core 1. So the way we do this, we do Show CDP Neighbor just to make sure that we're going to configure the correct port. We're on Core 2 and we're looking at the Port 1 to Core 1 which is Fast Ethernet 023. So we'll go into Config T, Interface Fast Ethernet 0 slash 23 and we're going to do Switch Port and we're going to do Mode and there are the different modes we can set the Switch Port to, with regards to trunking. In this case, we're not going to do Private VLANs or anything like this, we're going to set it to Trunk Unconditionally. So Switch Port Mode Trunk, if I can type and we immediately get this error message and again this is a pretty common error message, that's why I forced it, just so you could see it. Basically it's saying you've not told me what kind of trunk I am going to use. I could be ISL, I could be .1Q, you've not specified what kind of trunk I'll be using. So until you do, you can't tell me to Trunk Unconditionally, I'm, I'm just going to try to figure it out on my own. So we're still on the Interface Configuration, so we just have to be issue a couple of commands before we can set this Trunk Unconditionally. So the first thing we'll do is we'll type Switch Port Trunk and right now we're looking for the Encapsulation. So we'll do Encapsulation and we have Negotiate, which is the default obviously. We have .1Q and ISL, since this is a newer switch it supports both .1Q and the ISL Trunking. In this case, we're going to force it to .1Q and now let's try that Switch Port Mode Trunk Command again. Hey look at that, it worked. So now it's going to tear down the physical interface and bring it back up as a Trunk Port. And if we exit out of Config Mode and now we do Show Switch Port, I'm sorry not Show Switch Port, it's Show Interface Trunk, we now see the Fast Ethernet 023 is 802.1Q Trunk with the other end of the Core Switch. If we go over here and we do the same thing, we do Show Interface Trunk, we now see that we're also trunking on Fast Ethernet 024 which goes over to the other Core Switch from this end. Now this is still on auto on this end because if you'll remember, since it's set to Dynamic Auto, once we told the other end, you're a Trunk Unconditionally, this end said well since you want to be a Trunk, then I'll be a Trunk too. So in this case, we'll need to change the configuration on Core 1 as well to force it to be a Trunk Unconditionally. So we'll do Show CDP Neighbor just to make sure we configure the correct port and it's Fast Ethernet 024 just as we would expect. So Config T, Interface Fast Ethernet 024. First we have to set the Switch Port Trunk Encapsulation to .1Q and then we can do Switch Port Mode Trunk. Of course, it will pull down the Switch Port and bring it back up as a Trunk that's been forced on both ends or actually since it's already a trunk, it won't pull it down. But if we do the Show Run Interface Fast Ethernet 024, we now see the Switch Port Trunk Encapsulation in the Switch Port Mode. If we do Show Interface Fast Ethernet 024 Switch Port, we now see that the Administrative Mode is Trunking Always, the Operational Mode is Trunking Always and it is set to .1Q Trunk. So now we've forced the Trunk between the two Core Switches in a production network and the best practices or at least the best practices I follow, would also to be force the trunk between the Access Switches and the Core Switches. We don't want that just for the sake of the lab, since it is set to to Dynamic Desirable on the Access Switch end. We know this Trunk will always come up between the Access and the Core because this happens to be rebooted. We will write the Config on both the Core 1 and the Core 2 Switch just to be on the safe side. And that has our VLAN Trunk set up. In the next video, we're going to set up VLANs and we'll also configure VTP to push these VLANs out to all of the switches. But for now that concludes our discussion of VLAN Trunking setup.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (642-813 SWITCH)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 102 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.