Welcome into our very first switching lab, this is the very basic switch lab configuration and this is where we're going to configure and verify the configuration of Spanning Tree basic VLANs and the VLAN Trunking Protocol. Now a lot of these topics are what was covered in the CCNA material and if you have the CCNA which you probably are, if you're studying for your CCNP since it's a prerequisite, then you'll probably know most of what we're about to go over. However, I'm going to go over the CCNP course as well although not in as much detail as we did in CCNA. Just so you know how the labs configured and how it's set up so that as we move onto some of the more advanced topics like private VLANs and Layer 3 Switching and First Hop Redundancy. And all those wonderful topics that you get into when you're studying the advanced switching that the CCNP requires, you'll know why we make the design decisions we do and why we get the results we do in our lab. Now for the most part, what you see is what you get in this lab. I'm not going to do any behind the scenes configuration to change the way these switches are done. These switches have no configuration on them other than a very basic amount of configuration on the console line and I went ahead and set the host name. Beyond that, there's no VLAN, there's no trunking, I literally just hooked them up in the topology that you're about to see on the next slide and just let them figure out stuff out on their own. And speaking of which, this is the configuration that the lab is in. You can see we've got a fair amount of redundancy going on here, we have our two core switches which are Cisco 3560 series switches, they're Layer 3 switches, which you'll need for some of the more advanced topics. They are connected to one another and they also have redundant connections to each of the Access Layer Switches, to Access 1 and Access 2. Obviously Access 1 and Access 2 are not connected to one another, we're assuming that these maybe in different wiring closets or for whatever reason, they don't have a connection to one another directly. Also connected to two of the switches are two workstations, 10.10.1.1 and 10.10.1.10. Now obviously you would probably never have a workstation connected to a Core Switch but I have it set up this way so we can see how Spanning Tree works. And speaking of Spanning Tree, that's our very first topic, imagine that. So let's hop onto one of these switches, we'll pick the Core 1 Switch and we'll see which of these switches is the Spanning Tree Root. So here we are on the Core 1 and we're already in EXEC Mode so we'll do Show Spanning Tree and we will see that here's my Bridge ID, there's the address and we are not the Root, because otherwise we would be told, we are the root. It's saying the Root ID is at this MAC Address here. Now before we go any further let's have a look at some of the timers and some of the Port Roles that are running on this Core 1 Switch. There are those three timers that we discussed, the Hello Timer which is set at 2 seconds. The Max Age is 20 seconds which is 10 times the Hello Timer by default. The Forwarding Delay is 15 seconds which is how long the switch takes to go from Blocking to Learning to Forwarding. Now you'll notice we have two sections for the timers, this up here is what the Root is advertising, this down here is what we are configured for. Hopefully these will match, there are some situations where they won't. If you happen to be running an older switch in your network that doesn't understand the Rapid Per-VLAN Spanning Tree which we're going to go over in the advanced switching section of the course, then you may run into a situation where your local Bridge Timers are different than what is being advertised out by the Root Bridge. However, I'd honestly suggest if you do have one of those switches on your network that you find a way to replace it because you're just inviting trouble because any switch made in the last 12 years will support the Rapid Per-VLAN Spanning Tree. So if you happen to have a switch that's more than 12 years old, you're probably nearing the end of it's useful life. So here are our interfaces, you'll remember that we have a PC connected to Fast Ethernet 024 if we go back to our layout over here. We're on Core 1 and actually the PC is connected to Fast Ethernet 013 but the same logic applies with the same setting applies. It is a Designated Port for that segment since it's just it and the PC on that segment and you'll notice that there's the Root Port Fast Ethernet 02 is pointing towards the Root. If we go back to our network diagram, we'll see that Fast Ethernet 02 is pointing towards Access 2 and by looking at the diagram, you can probably figure that Access 2 is the Root Bridge. Now I'm not going to go through all of these switches and check their Spanning Tree Tables, I won't drag you through all of that. I've already checked all this out and I can tell you, that Access 2 is indeed the Root Bridge and that is the logical topology of the network. You'll notice it's not very efficient, if you're getting traffic from your Core Router into your Core 2 Switch and it's going down to Access 1, it doesn't go across this link between Core 1 and Core 2. It goes down to Access 2, Access 2 switches it up to Core 1, Core 1 sends it down to Access 1. In the same manner, if the PCs connected to Access 1 want to get out to the rest of the network, it has to go through Access 2. It doesn't go up through this Core 1 and over to Core 2 and out to the Core Router. And true to form the Access 2 Switch is the oldest switch on my network. It happens to be a Cisco 2950 Layer 2 Switch. Not necessarily the one you want being the Root of Spanning Tree. We'll carry on with our Spanning Tree Configuration in the next video.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (642-813 SWITCH)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 102 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.