So here we are in our Route Redistribution Lab and this is our, our basic lab. As with all of my basic labs, this lab doesn't really have any objectives other than make it work on the most basic level possible. And again this GNS3 topology is available as part of the Work Files for this course and as with all of my other labs I'm using 3600 series routers, configured with the network that you see here. Now on the left side of our topology here, we have EIGRP Autonomous System 1200. On the other side we have OSPF, this is all a single OSPF area, so it's Area 0 obviously and I've taken care of setting up all of the basic routing protocols, for example, if we go to Router 5, we do Show IP Route, we see all of the routes in the right hand side of the network advertised through OSPF. Same thing if I were to go to Router 1 for example and do Show IP Route on this guy, we'll see all of the networks on the left hand side of the diagram advertised via EIGRP. Now Router 3 is right here in the middle and it has a Serial Interface into both sides of the network. This could just easily have been Ethernet Interfaces, I, I just chose Aerial because that's happened to be the tool that I had, I had selected when I set up the lab and really the only requirement is that you can't do Redistribution on the same interface and you can, it just get's kind of tricky. You run into some, into some weird timing issues and you could potentially run into a, a Bandwidth issue. In our Redistribution lab we always have our Redistribution routers set up with one interface in each area and so the packets actually traverse the router to get from one routing domain into another. So if we go to Router 3 for example, he is actually a member of both of these routing domains, so if we do Show IP Route, he knows all of the OSPF routes and all of the EIGRP routes and if you look at the Administrative Distances, you can see that this router believes the EIGRP routes more than it does the OSPF routes. The OSPFs Administrative Distance is 110 where as EIGRPs is 90. And you can tell the EIGRP routes from the OSPF route because the EIGRP routes have this huge Metric, that's right here. Whereas the OSPF just has the cost here, 129, 65 et cetera, et cetera. So again all this is taken care of for you in the lab, just because I didn't want you to have to worry about setting all this up, I wanted you to be able to concentrate on the commands necessary to Redistribute the routing protocols between the two routing domains. So let's jump into Route Redistribution. The first thing we're going to do, is we're going to Redistribute our EIGRP routes into OSPF because in, that is the simplest of the Redistribution tasks we have in, in place. So we're going to Redistribute all of the routes from the left hand side of the network into the right hand side of the network. So we'll go in our little bridge router here, Router 3 We'll go into Config T and we will go into the Routing Process for the routing protocol we're Redistributing into. In this case, since we are Redistributing into OSPF, we will go into Router OSPF 1. Now the command you'll use is Redistribute, big surprise there and we'll hit Question Mark and look at some of the options available to use. We can Redistribute BGP into OSPF, we can Redistribute all of our connected networks, all of static routes, we can Redistribute IS-IS which thankfully that's not part of the CCNP curriculum anymore. In this case, we're Redistributing EIGRP routes into OSPF. So Redistribute EIGRP and if we hit Question Mark we have to give it an Autonomous System number, in this case we're Redistributing EIGRP Autonomous System 1200 into OSPF and from here we can specify the Metric, the Metric Type, the Route Maps. The one command you'll almost always want to use is Subnets. Now for the time being we'll just leave this command off just to see what happens. I can tell you it, it won't be anything useful, I can tell you that. Only Classful Networks will distributed, that means, well we're going to Redistribute from EIGRP, 10.0.0.0 into OSPF. Well that's not useful because we've got ten networks over here on the right hand side. So let's go over here to Router 4 and look at that guy's Routing Table for example. If we do Show IP Route, oop, you can see we're just not getting any routes at all because this router says I know you're advertising to me a 10.0 network, however I've got more specific routes to that network so just, just go away, I'm, I'm not going to believe you, you are trying to lead me down the wrong path. And again a lot of people that try Redistribution for the first time, they see that command, oh Redistribute, yeah EIGRP 1200 Subnets, well of course it's going to Redistribute Subnets, well, that's the probably the default, don't even need to specify it. They hit Enter, just ignore the message that it gives there or don't really understand what the message is saying and then wonder, well why, what happened to my routes? Why aren't they there? Well, let's go back to Router 3, we'll hit Up Arrow and we'll do Subnets and we'll talk a little about these Metric and Metric type Commands. We'll leave Route Map and Tag for the advanced Redistribution lab. The Metric is where you can specify the default OSPF Metric as it's being introduced into the OSPF routing domain. Now we'll go back to Router 1 for example, there is, well that's a bad example. We'll go to Router 4 because that's one of the ones for OSPF. The default Metric in this case is 65 or 128, it's, it's just a sum of all the bandwidths basically. If you wanted to, you could say I want to advertise this route into OSPF with a Metric of one which means you'll always prefer these routes, if you're in a position where you can see them. We'll talk about these other commands in the next video.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.