Welcome into the first lab for OSPF. In this lab, we're going to take a basic routed network and we're going to set up OSPF on it. Now this OSPF network again is going to be pretty basic. We're going to set everything up in a single area. We're not going to get too fancy with the config in this very first lab, this is basically just to show you what's necessary to get the OSPF processes up and running on your router and how to verify that everything's running. So, here is our GNS3 lab and yeah, I know, you might be looking at this and saying, well that doesn't look a simple network, you've got five routers and switches and WAN links and everything. This is pretty simple for OSPF, at least in a single OSPF area. This allows us to demonstrate what happens on a Broadcast Network. We've got three routers down here so that one of them will be the Designated Router and one will be the BDR and you'll get to see how you can influence that decision based upon the priority and you also have the WAN links up here to show you how it works over a Point-to-Point WAN link. Now as with all the other labs, this lab is available in the Work Files for this course and I'm using the 3640 Router platform. So with all that said, let's jump right in. And we're on our corporate router and you'll see that the network is up and running. If we show the CDP neighbors we see the router's in Georgia in Tennessee as well as our sales and engineering sections here in our corporate office. So the first thing we do is we get the OSPF process up and running. For that, we go into Config Mode, like with everything else and we will enter Router OSPF, you see the OSPF subcommand there, OSPF and then it wants a Process ID. Now unlike EIGRP or BGP as you'll see elsewhere in the course, this Process ID for OSPF is only locally significant and you can give it a process ID of one to 65,535 and you could give a different Process ID on every router on the network and OSPF wouldn't care, because this Process ID is local. And just for the sake of documentation and the ease of troubleshooting, most network engineers give their OSPF Process IDs the same number across the entire network. In our case we'll just use process one, so Router OSPF one. We're now in Router OSPF Config Mode. So let's look at the commands that are available to us and you'll notice that one of the Commands that's obviously missing from OSPF is the AutoSummary. Normally that would be right up here under Auto Cost, or where Auto Cost is in this list. You'll recall OSPF does it's Summarization at the ABRs only. You cannot set up Summarization elsewhere. Therefore OSPF does not Auto Summarize. Again all the routers in a single area will know all the individual routes to all of the networks across every router. So if we look further down the list here, you'll see we have the Network Command and we'll use the Network Command to, to put in some of our loopback networks here in a second, but there's also another way that works in newer IOS versions and that's IOS version 12.3.11 I believe and above, where you can actually go into the interface and tell the individual interface I want to use this interface for OSPF. Honestly, I prefer it that way, just because I know what interfaces I'm going to be running the OSPF processes on or what networks I'm going to advertise under OSPF to be more accurate. But obviously we're going to show you both ways to do it because both ways are correct and honestly if you're working on a network with older IOS versions, you know, 12.2 is, is pretty common, pretty prevalent in use. Then you'll need to know how the Network Command works and how it's a little peculiar, especially on loopback interfaces. So the first thing we're going to do is add our WAN networks into the OSPF infrastructure. And you'll see our WAN networks are 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.4. There are two individual interfaces as you can see if I do Do Show IP Interface Brief. You can see we have serial 00 and serial 01. So obviously we could do these two networks individually but this is one of the peculiarities of the Network Command with OSPF. And I know normally when you say oh this command has a little peculiarity or it's a little different and some people go, oh great what's broken about this command? Actually I kind of like the way that the Network Command works in OSPF. With OSPF you can actually put in Network, in this case we'll do 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Now you may be thinking, well, you don't actually have a network interface that matches that, you're not routing that network. And you're absolutely correct, however with OSPF, what this command actually does is say, any interface that fits in this network and this subnet mask, enable the OSPF processing on that interface. So by typing this one command I am enabling OSPF on both of these serial interfaces in one fell swoop, I don't have to have two Network Commands in here. Now obviously I could put them in there, I could do 192.168.1.0 with a / 30 or .252 subnet mask and do the same thing with the .4 network but why go to all that trouble. So we've got the Network Command in here and since OSPF has the concept of distinct areas, we have to actually set the OSPF Area ID for these networks. So we'll do Area 0 and that's it. Once we do that, now we are routing these networks via OSPF. Obviously there's no other OSPF neighbors out there for it to talk to, so if we were to look at OSPF it would be in a Down State, because it's saying hey, I'm, I'm all alone in the world, there's no one else to talk to and I'm so lonely. We'll fix that here in just a little bit. We'll continue on with our Basic OSPF Configuration in the next video.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Routing (642-902 ROUTE)|
|Duration:||10 hrs / 105 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.