So we're continuing on with our basic configuration of BGP and we've looked at the Auto Summary Command and the next command that we're going to use, at least in the near term for setting up BGP is the Neighbor Command. Now if we just type Neighbor and hit Question Mark, we can specify the IP address or a Tag for the neighbor. Most of the time you're going to specify an IP address. In this case, our neighbor's IP address is 126.96.36.199. So we'll do Neighbor 50. 188.8.131.52 and if we hit Question Mark there, you see we have more commands for the neighbor than we do just for BGP itself. You can specify the Multihop, Next Hop Self, Next Hop Unchanged. We're going to look at a fair number of these as we go through this entire lab. For the time being though, the only one we're really worried about is the Remote AS and that's where you tell BGP this neighbor is in this Autonomous System. In this case, it's Autonomous System 12 so we'll do Remote AS 12. You can also specify the NL RI type. Since they're all Cisco Routers, don't really need to specify that on the Command Line. You hit Enter and there you go. Now you have a BGP Neighbor set up. Now since BGP requires configuration on both ends, if we do Show IP BGP Summary, we'll see that there's our Neighbor Statement, it's running version 4 on this. It shows we've received, sent nothing. It shows all zeros, it's never come up and it's state is Active. And if you'll recall from our discussion of EIGRP, if a Neighbor is in Active State, that means it is actively looking for the other neighbor. I'm sending packets to this guy, this 184.108.40.206, he's just not understanding me, he's not talking my language, he's not doing anything. And of course the obvious reason for that in our case, is that we haven't configured the other Router to look for packets, look for another neighbor. So let's go into our Access 1 Router and let's set up the BGP Neighbor to point to the ISP 1. So we'll open the Console here, Enable Mode, Configure T, Router BGP, in this case we are in Autonomous System 12, so we'll do Router BGP 12. We'll do Neighbor and let's verify the IP address. 220.127.116.11 is our neighbor in this case. So Neighbor 18.104.22.168, Remote AS will be 127. So now if we're on Access 1 and we Show IP BGP Summary, we see that the Neighbor State is Idle unlike the other Router where it's Active, Idle means I'm waiting to actually try to contact this guy and again, if you'll remember BGP is a very slow protocol to converge and there we go. Neighbor 22.214.171.124 is up. You didn't see it, but I actually had to pause the video there for a second, so it actually took about 30 or 40 seconds for the Neighbor adjacency to come up. Again that's very different from OSPF or EIGRP or any of our other IGPs. If we set up neighbors and the neighbor adjacency doesn't come up in about five or ten seconds, then we're going through Debugs and Pinging and everything else. In this case, BGP is one of those protocols that you just kind of have to wait on it. So now if we do Show IP BGP Summary, we see that the neighbor's been up for 33 seconds, we've sent and received messages. His AS is 127 and we've received no prefixes from this BGP Neighbor. And this Prefix Received is how many routes we're getting from the neighbor. And again, another difference between IGPs and BGP is you can have a Neighbor adjacency established but not actually trade any routes back and forth. Again, if you'll recall, if we set up an OSPF Neighbor and again you have to put the Network Command in there, just like you have to with BGP but if you have a Neighbor adjacency established, then that means you are actively trading that network back and forth. So you'd at least see the network between you and your neighbor in the Routing Table. Well if we do Show IP Route on the Access 1, we see a bunch of OSPF routes that are coming from our Core 1 Router but we don't see any BGP routes from the ISP Router. If you look on the Router on the other end, we'll do Show IP Route, we notice that we don't see those OSPF routes from the Access Router that the Access Router knows about on our ISP Router. And again if we do Show IP BGP Summary on this guy it's sees the neighbor, it's up, it's Autonomous System is 12. It's been up for two minutes and twenty seconds and we've received no prefixes from this guy either. So the Neighbor adjacency is up but we're not trading any routes back and forth. Now what we've just set up is called EBGP it's External BGP and what EBGP means is that the two neighbors that have formed an adjacency are in two different Autonomous Systems. Again you'll see that Autonomous System 12 and 127, the neighbors here are obviously not in the same system. Now what we're about to set up in the next video is what's called IBGP, it's Internal BGP and that's going to be BGP session between Access 1 and Access 2. And from a configuration standpoint it's set up pretty much the same way. However, there are some caveats when you're running IBGP that you have to look out for and it has to do with Next Hops and Route Redistribution and everything like that. So let's go to the next video, we'll pause this here and go onto the next video and we'll set up IBGP between Access 1 and Access 2 and then we'll Redistribute the networks from ISP 1 into the Access 1 and Access 2 Routers and see how that flows.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.