So we're getting into the verification part of our second OSPF Lab and we've gone through all the trouble of setting all this up, it meets all of the lab objectives that we've set up. We've set up the OSPF routing, we've not changed the IP OSPF network except on the East Router. We've configured the DR, we've advertised the Loopback Interfaces and now we're on step five and we still haven't run across this hidden configuration issue, but we're about to, here in just a couple of minutes. So let's get to it. We'll go to the router in Area 42, the Dallas Router and we'll see what we can Ping over here in Area 51. So the first thing we need to do is determine what the Boston and Newark Loopbacks are. So let's go over to Boston, I'll do Show IP Interface Brief and the Loopback over here is 22.214.171.124 and Newark is 126.96.36.199. 188.8.131.52 so we've got routes propagating all throughout our network. If we go to Dallas we should be able to Ping through that router. So if we do Ping 10, I'm sorry Ping 184.108.40.206, well wait a minute, we, we can't quite Ping that network. Well we've got the routes, well we, do we have the routes in the table? Do Show IP Route, yeah we've, we've got the routes in the table here, it's an Inter Area route, it's being advertised via 192.168.2.1 so 2.1 is this West Router up here, so let's see if we can Ping it. Let's Ping 192.168.2.1, yeah I mean, we can Ping from the Dallas Router to the West Router. So let's go over to the West Router and let's see what the routes look like over here. So do Show IP Route, we have 220.127.116.11, it's been propagated to the West and so let's try to Ping 18.104.22.168 from here. So Ping 22.214.171.124 from the West Router. Well there's your problem, the West Router can't get to that Loopback Network either and since the West Router's the next hop for Dallas, well, that, that explains why Dallas can't get there. Now why can't West get there? Well the answer lies right there on the screen in front of you. It's in the Routing Table, you'll see that it's route to 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 is via 192.168.1.3. Now if we refer back to our diagram here, we'll see that it is via this East Router, which makes sense. The East Router says well I know about these networks down here, you need to come to me, if you want to get to these guys. However the way that the network is set up, the West Router can't actually Ping 192.168.1.3. It can't get there from here and the reason why, if we allow that time out there, the reason why is, if we Show IP Interface Brief first off to make sure we're looking at the right interface, serial 0 slash 0.1. So we'll do Show Run Interface Serial 0 slash 0.1, you'll see that it is a Multi-point network, so this interface believes, well hey, I Multi-point, I should be able to get to anything that's on this Subnet just by sending it out my Serial Interface. However, there's not a map between West and East, out, all the traffic has to go from West up through HQ and back down to the East. That's the way the DLCIs are configured right now. Now we could go into the Frame Relay Switch here and just configure another DLCI that says oh well you see, traffic on 201, it spits it out on 301 and everything, but that's going against the objectives of the lab. Correct the hidden configuration issue without the changing the underlying Frame Relay Configuration. So we can't go in and out of DLCI. What we can do is go in and out of Frame Relay Map, because we control these, these End Routers, you know, we, we don't really control this Frame Relay device, I mean we do for the lab, but you know, in a production environment you wouldn't control the Frame Relay providers network. Not without paying them a lot of money and you know, we don't want to have to pay them an extra money just to get from here to here, we can, we can send it through HQ, that's not a big deal. So what we'll do is, we'll just set up another Frame Relay Map, 192.168.1.1. We'll say Frame Relay Map IP 192.168.1.3 goes out DLCI 201 as well. So we'll go into Config T, go into Interface Serial 0 slash 0.1, we will add Frame Relay Map IP 192.168.1.3 goes out DLCI 201 and now we should be able to Ping 192.168.1.3. Well we can't, well why, why can't we? Well remember we have to be able to get from West to East, East also has to be able to send the traffic back to West and again you'd be surprised at the number of people that say well I added the route there or I added this on this West router, why can't, you know, why can't I get across my WAN and back to me? Well you may have a route to get there, he doesn't have a route to get back, you got to have 2-Way communication. So now let's go over to the East and let's add the same Frame Relay Map but going back the other way. We'll do Show Run Interface serial 0 slash 0.1 to make sure it's the right one and it is. We'll get smart this time, we'll just copy this out so I don't have to type all these commands and we'll do Config T, we'll do Interface serial 0 slash 0.1, we'll just paste this in there and we'll change this to a 2 and now if I go back to West, look I can Ping now. And that my friends is the hidden configuration issue. You had to add that extra Frame Relay Map to send all the traffic up through HQ. So now if we go to Dallas, we do Ping 126.96.36.199, we can Ping all the way across our network. Of course we've got horrendous round trip times and if we do 188.8.131.52 as well, we've now Pinged both of the routers in Area 51 from the Dallas Router. And we've verified that our Frame Relay Configuration actually works, it's flowing exactly as it should and this concludes our verification video.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.