So welcome back in to the OSPF Lab. We've configured Area 0 and 42 and we're now going to step into configuring Area 51. Now Area 51 is one of the more complex areas of our, of our little lab network here and the only thing that makes it complex, is all of the little OSPF tweaks and changes you have to make, to make OSPF fit the requirements of the objectives. Speaking of the objectives, let's go look at them and make sure that we're going to meet all of the requirements. So you'll see here in objective one, where it says the East Router should be configured as the RFC standard Point-to-Multipoint network type, but no other routers in Area 51 maybe configured with an IP OSPF Network Command. Now that comes into play here in about two minutes when we're setting up the East Router. Now I will make the point of saying that Frame Relay is functioning and configured properly here in the East area, this Area 51 so whatever issues we come across are not due to a Frame Relay Configuration issue and if you're trying this at home or if you have tried it and you couldn't make it work, I'll, I'll show you some of the little gotchas that you may not have thought about it. I know I didn't think about them until I, I put this lab together. So let's go over to the East Router and this is the interface that we're going to advertise into Area 51 because we've already advertised this Loopback Interface into Area 0. So we'll do a Config T, we will do Router OSPF one and we're going to do Network 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.255 Area 51, 51. And so now let's go and check out the Show IP OSPF Interface, so Show IP OSPF Interface just to make sure that OSPF advertising as we expect it. There's the Loopback and it's a Point-to-Point network as we expect, there's the serial 0 slash 0.1. It's in Area 0 and it's a Non-Broadcast as we've configured and as we expect. Let's look here at serial 0 slash 1.1. It is in Area 51, it says it's a type of Non-Broadcast and the reason that it's a Non-Broadcast Network, if we do a Show Run Interface Serial 0 slash 1.1, we'll see that Interface Serial 0 slash 1.1 is a Multi-point Interface just like all the interfaces up here in Area 0 and that's because it's a Multi-point on this end but if we were go to Boston and Newark, they would be Point-to-Point just because that's the way Frame Relays configured in this particular implementation. And it's a fairly common implementation, I run across a lot of WAN networks where it's a Point-to-Multipoint network just like this. It's Multi-point at the hub and it's Point-to-Point on each of the spokes, that way all the traffic from the spoke has to go through the hub and it's forced that way through Frame Relay. So what you have to do is you have to go into this interface, this serial 0 slash 1.1 interface and you have to force it to be a Point-to-Multipoint network, just like we have to force the Loopbacks to be a Point-to-Point so that they advertise the correct Subnet Mask. So go back into Config Mode, we'll do Interface Serial 0 slash 1.1 and we will do IP OSPF Network Point-to-Multipoint. Now if we exit out we do Show IP OSPF Interface and we look at the serial zero slash 1.1 interface down here, we now see that it is a type Point-to-Multipoint and you'll notice that since that it is a Point-to-Multipoint network, unlike this network up here, we don't need a DR or a BDR because remember the basics video. The Point-to-Multipoint type doesn't use Manual Neighbor Statements, doesn't use Designated Router or a Backup Designated Router, it all just kind of works, assuming you've got the Broadcast Keyword on your Route Maps which, which we do for the lab. So now let's go to Boston and let's configure Boston up. So the two interfaces we're going to advertise is this 192.168.3 and then the 188.8.131.52. So Config T, Router OSPF 1, we'll set the Router ID 184.108.40.206. We will do Network 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.255 Area 51. We'll also do Network 220.127.116.11 0.0.0.0 Area 51. And now we've configured OSPF and we're not getting a neighbor coming up. If we do Show IP OSPF Neighbor, oop, can't type, SPF Neighbor, there's nothing in the Neighbor Table there. If we go back to the East Router, do the same thing, we only have the one neighbor. It's a Full and that says that neighbor is a Designated Router but other than that we don't have any other neighbors here in the East. We don't see Boston, obviously we don't see Newark because we've not set up Newark, why is that? Well this is kind of the gotcha. You'll notice on this, since it is a Multi-point Interface the Hello and the Dead Timers are 30 seconds and 120 seconds respectively. If we go over to Boston, we do a Show IP OSPF Interface it says it's a Point-to-Point, the Hello Timer is ten, the Dead Timer is 40. The Dead Timer defaulting to four times the Hello Timer and if you'll recall if the Hello and the Dead Timers don't match, then you don't form a neighbor adjacency and OSPF just doesn't work. So we'll fix this in the next video and carry on with configuring Newark.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.