Welcome in to the EIGRP Authentication Configuration Lab. In this lab we're going to take a very simple Network Configuration and we're going to configure Authentication on that Network Topology and push out the Keyrings and the Authentication configuration to all of the various routers and we'll see what happens as we do this. Now we have a very simple lab set up here in GNS3 and this lab is available as part of the Work Files. One little thing to note on this lab is that Amestris is set up as an NTP Master, so my recommendation if you're playing along at home is to boot up the Amestris Router, set the date and time manually using the Clock Set Command in the IOS, wait a few seconds and then turn on the Drachma and the Xing Routers. Now obviously before you can set up EIGRP Authentication you have to have a functioning EIGRP environment. For the sake of time we won't go through how to configure that, but basically you look in your routing table, you look in your EIGRP Neighbors table and Topology table, make sure that you're seeing all of the routers, you're getting the routes how you expect them, you can ping back and forth, like I said, we've gone through all of that in the previous labs and so we won't rehash that here. So the first thing we'll do is we'll hit at the Asmestris Router and we'll dive right in, we'll configure the Key Chain and configure the keys within the key chain and then we'll copy that config out to the other two routers just so the config is exactly the same on all of them. Again that's one of the best practices or at least it's one of my best practices, so that way you don't have any confusion over when the keys expire, what the key, what the key string is and so on and so forth. So the first thing we do is, we Enable and we go into Config Mode and we're going to say Key Chain and we have to give it a name. In this case we'll name it Auth1. Now we're in Key Chain Config Mode, if we hit Question Mark you see there's not many things we can do, we can default some of the commands but there's no commands really to default until you go into Key Configuration Mode. So we'll do key one, I just can't type today and now we're in Key Configuration Mode and there are a couple of other commands now that we're in Key Configuration Mode. The first one you'll want to look at is the key string and that is anything from a single letter or a single number up to I think, its 250 characters is the upper limit for this. Obviously the longer and more complex this key string is, the harder it's going to be to guess. So you need to make it something fairly obscure, you don't need to make like Cisco one which is what we're going to set it to here in our lab, since it is a lab environment. So in this case we'll do key string, Cisco one and now we're going to set an Accept and a Send Lifetime on this particular key. Now you might be asking yourself, well why do we have a Send Lifetime and an Accept Lifetime? Why would I want to accept a key that I'm not actually sending out? And the short answer is time drift. Now let's say you have a key that you want to expire at 9 am on December 24th, if our networks going to break, it's going to break at the most inconvenient moment possible. So we're going to expire this key on December 24th, 2011 at 9 am. If you have routers out in the field who's clocks are off by a few minutes, then if you do not send that key and you do not accept that key after 9 am on December 24th, then you may have a little bit of a time where the routers at the remote sites will send their EIGRP updates using this key, because to them it hasn't hit nine o'clock here but here at the central sites, since it's after nine o'clock, we're not accepting it and so you'll have a bit of a time where your routing doesn't work properly. So generally I'll set an Accept Lifetime that's you know, an hour longer than the Send Lifetime just so you have a little bit overlap. You don't have any situation where routing updates won't take place in a timely manner. In this case, we will set the Send Lifetime. Now this is the first key in the key chain, I always set a time that is in the past, that way I know I don't have to wait for this Key Chain or this key material to take effect at some point in the future. In this case, I'm going to set it to 12:01 am on January 1st, 2000. Hopefully that's far enough in the past that none of your routers will, will have that set as their current time. So in this case, we'll do 00-01-00. It wants the day of the month to start so we'll do 1 January and you can't specify a year earlier than 1993 so we'll say 2000. Now it wants to know the time to stop. You can set that as a duration meaning you know five years or 20 days or whatever you want or you can specify an exact date and time to stop. In this case we've already decided on 9 am on December 24th, 2011. So we'll put in 09:00 :00 and we hit 24 Dec 2011 and that's it. So that is the Send Lifetime. We're going to set the Accept Lifetime to be pretty much the same except we're going to set it to be 10 am on December 24th. So we'll just hit up arrow, we'll go up here and change the send to accept, Accept Lifetime to the same thing, except we'll say 10. So now we've got our Key Chain configured, we've got one of our keys configured. So we'll exit all the way out of Config Mode and we'll go ahead and write this config just to be overly paranoid here and we'll continue with our Authentication configuration set up in the next video.
|Course:||Implementing Cisco IP Routing (642-902 ROUTE)|
|Duration:||10 hrs / 105 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.