Materials in SketchUp to Maxwell are somewhat complex so we're going to take a lot of time to really delve into how to work with Materials because that's a really big part of working with Maxwell anyway. To begin with we need to go ahead and Open the Window-Materials dialog and I'm just going to go ahead and go to In Model and here you're going to see all of the materials that we already have loaded for Susan here. In order to get rid of these we're going to go ahead and delete Susan, so I'm just going to delete Susan, I'm going to go up to Components and I'm going to Purge Unused and then I'm going to go over here and I'm going to say Purge Unused and that's going to get us back to zero with our materials. And now I'm going to Create a brand New Material by clicking here and I'm just going to hit OK to accept the Default values, so now we have a Material named Material1 at Default Value. So if we go over here to our Maxwell Scene manager and we go to Materials, you'll see that Material1 is loaded right here, now if it isn't on your system, just click this and Open up the Drop-down and click on Material1. The very first thing that we want to look at here is the Preview, and this works a lot like the Preview in MX ED or the Maxwell Material Editor, but it's got some subtle differences and I'll point them out to you. Now the first thing first here is that whatever you have loaded in the Previews Folder for your Maxwell Render Install Folder is going to be loaded here under Scene and you can choose any of these that you want, you'll find those in the Work Files, we have the Cornell, Default Preview, Drapery so on and so forth, so I'll just pick the Simball Version 2 Preview and we can choose the Target Sample Level. Now it's important, don't just jack this up, in the Maxwell Material Editor I would tell you just to jack this thing way the heck up and we'll just stop it when we reach a point where we're satisfied, but it doesn't work that way here in SketchUp and it's important that you know that. So for right now we'll just leave it at 8 and we'll just go ahead and hit the Render button here which is this little Refresh Icon, so we're going to click that and it's going to begin to count the seconds that it's actually rendering, it's not counting down it's counting forward. Now that little spinning icon will continue to spin until the render is done, now we've reached Sample Level 8, there is no time limit here as you can see and this can be big trouble, if you set this thing for something really high like say 20 and it's going to take you know a couple of hours to render that preview, then you're going to have to wait those couple of hours because there's no way to stop this render. So you want to be very cautious about easing this up so like I might go and set that for something like 10 and then I'm just going to click somewhere outside there so that that accepted and then I'm going to hit Refresh and now we're going to get it Rendered a little bit nicer but we're also going to pay attention to how long it took. Because now we're 5 seconds, 6 seconds and so on and so forth, if this takes more than 30 seconds it's probably not going to be practical for us because we don't want to be locked into something. For this particular scene I can probably get away with going somewhere around say Sample Level 12, but it's going to be different on different scenes and I recommend that you be cautious when you're working with this Preview because you can easily get yourself in trouble by setting it for something really high and then rendering and being locked in and really at that point the only way to stop it is to basically wait it out because it's more or less impossible to stop. You can stop it by, here I'll show you how to stop it, so if we're in really a bad pinch I'll just go ahead and hit something like 20 here, we'll start it Rendering and let's say that you know that's going to take way, way too long, it's never going to stop, it's just going to keep on rendering, it's going to slow down my system, I don't want it to keep going because I don't know when it's ever going to stop, I made a big mistake. I try shutting this down and it doesn't stop rendering, it's still rendering, my system resources are still going, I try shutting down SketchUp and it doesn't stop rendering, my system resources are still going. So if I do a Ctrl-Alt Delete to launch my Windows Task Manager, you'll find that we have in here a task called Maxwell, let me just see if I can't find it, there it is, Maxwell.exe. And you can see right now it's using 95 percent, 97 percent of my CPU and it will continue to use that until I tell it to stop so I'll just Highlight it and hit End Process. Now that may very well be different, completely different on your system depending on what version of Windows you're running or if you're on a Macintosh Operating System but short of that, there's no way to stop it, when you set those parameters too high for your Preview, you can really get yourself into trouble. Now that's something that I do believe will be addressed in a future update to the Plug-in, but I just wanted you to be aware of that when you're working with your, I'll just pick Black here, when you're working with your Previews you want to make sure that you do not set that set that target Sample Level for something too high, because it like I said can be a real pain.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.