Let's continue on with Creating a New Layout and talk about the Layout Types in more detail. I've already told you that Blank Layout is my favorite because I like to set my layouts up myself but these other Layout Types can be useful so we're going to try one of them but let's explain each one. The Standard Form as you can see is very similar to what we have already, a Form Layout meaning that it shows one record at a time. A Table View is like a spreadsheet and refers to that view as it's up there in Browse Mode. That view as that third choice is called the Table View and it looks like a spreadsheet. And you know you can see a little example here on the side, it, it gives you a visualization and it's very easy to work with the Table View. It's very good if you're trying to make a quick, fast, database or maybe you're really a beginner but you really wouldn't be watching these tutorials if you wanted to be a beginner. These tutorials are quite extensive, they go through beginner, intermediate and advanced and they will allow you to go to a developer level. So using a Table View is really not a developer type layout, that's because you really can't have interface on it. It is handy because you can click on the Column Headers and they're going to sort for you. There's Context Menus and all kinds of good stuff but for me, I don't use them very often, make your own decision but the biggest reason is you can't really put a good interface on it. On the other hand a List View is very similar to a Table View but it allows all the interface that I want on a professional, polished solution. So let's take a look at the List View, we have an option down here, Constrain Columns to Page Width, look what it does. It allows you to make a List View that's better for printing. Where as this is a List View that's better for a screen which is typically wider than the printed page. So we're going to choose that for what we're doing here but realize there is also Report Layout, you can do Sub Totals and Grand Totals and all kinds of good things. You also have Labels which allows you to do things like Avery type Labels, there's hundreds of Avery type Labels, the. The most common probably being the 5160, you can choose it from here. Vertical Labels and Envelopes and again these things can all be done by using the features in here. Let's go back to our List View, we'll hit Next now, we'll choose what fields we want to display. So let's try Name First or we can come over to Name Last and double-click on it so we don't have to come over here and hit Move. I might want the City next and maybe the Phone Number. We'll click Next, we'll decide whether we want to sort it, well this is not really a report and this is only going to sort it once anyhow so it's really not much use. I'm just going to skip this feature; we don't really need it to sort. Then you come to this area, now if you've used previous versions of FileMaker this may look similar to the features that we had before. This is not, this feature here, these Themes are completely redesigned. Not only do they look different, they act different, meaning that you can take a theme and apply it to any layout at any time. Change the theme at any time whereas before you'd have to delete the layout and add it back in again, it's completely different. It really is a new feature and we'll get more into it in, in the later chapters. For right now just realize this is completely different and we're just going to choose the same theme we have for this Form Layout so they match. We'll hit Next and here's where you can easily put information in the Header and the Footer and so on, you can put in some text or page number or whatever you want, a logo, it just kind of walks you through. But again, you can do for instance text by clicking on this. You can use the Insert Menu to insert a logo and all these things can be done manually so I'm not going to really use this feature here. Same is true with the Footer, if you want something in it, you know do you want a page number in the lower left-hand corner of the footer? So it's at the bottom of every page? Well, you can easily do it here, we'll hit Next and do you want to create a script? Well that's something that we'll learn how to do as well and I really don't need a script for this so we're not going to do it. But it could create a script for you to automatically, it's usually good for reports but again, this is really a beginner feature and I'm not going to use it. And then do we go to Browse Mode or Layout Mode, well you can switch between them anytime you want so I'm just going to use Layout Mode for right now because it's going to take immediately to Layout Mode so you can see what will happen. But again I can go right to Browse Mode so it's, it's really just kind of helping you out here if you're just starting out with it. So we hit Finish, you can see it's got the Labels up here in the Header, it's got the Fields in the Body Part and you'll see that the Body Part is quite a bit smaller. Right. Here's our Form Layout, we go over here, here's our List View and we see it's going to allow us to put many records on the page at once. So if we go into Browse Mode, you'll see we see all of our records like that. If we switch back to our Contact, we see one record at a time and that's because we have it on Form View here. Switch back to our List View, it's on List View, not Table View. If we switch to Table View you'll see it's a very plain vanilla looking thing. This you can have all kinds of interface, you know, alternating record colors and things around the active record and all kinds of stuff like that. So it's pretty cool stuff what you can do with a List View so I hope that you, you like that in, you'll lose a few features you have in Table View but you can easily substitute those with scripting and other features. You just have to do it yourself but the results are so much more superior for a polished solution.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.