Let's investigate the power of Layouts. You only have one layout right now but you'll likely have dozens or hundreds of layouts in a finished solution. More generally, lots of layouts means a more sophisticated interface so let's go into Layout Mode where you'll Create a Layout, a New Layout that is and you notice that our layouts are listed here. We did have two layouts previously but one of them was attached to a, a temporary table, one that we created just to prove that you know, you could create tables. But right now, we only have one and this is kind of limited. We can only have one view of our information. You may want to be able to see your information in a List View which is more like a spreadsheet. You may want to a different layout for printing because you do use a different font and a different layout for printing versus your data entry. There is all sorts of uses for layouts and you'll literally have dozens or hundreds of them depending on the complexity of your solution. So we're going to try to over all the tutorials, give you an idea of why you'd want to have many layouts. Now one thing before we create a new layout I want to explain is, Layouts are not Schema. If you come over here and Delete that field, that data on all the records in that field still exist. They are still there and you can actually Revert this if you want to, it will come back, only if you go into Manage Database and delete the field there will it be permanently gone, all the data will be gone. So you can fiddle around with these different layouts all you want. Let's draw an analogy to a house, let's say you're staring through the windows into somebody's house, let's hopefully, it's your house. And so you look in the front window and you see the living room and maybe you can kind of see a staircase and maybe part of another room. You go to the side of the house, maybe you'll see part of the living room but really the dining room at this point and from another window maybe you'll see the kitchen and part of another room or maybe you'll see two rooms, who knows what depending on how big the window is. Think of those windows as layouts, you can look at your information inside your database through a layout and it is all the same information, all the same house, just a different view point and then when we add in different tables, you know, new tables and things like that, it gets more complicated but for right now, think of one house right now and you're viewing into that information. And depending on which window you're looking through, depends on how you're looking at the information, maybe you have less fields, more records. Maybe it's just you want a little, quick little expansion of a Notes Field so you make a bigger window and it pops up on the screen and that's another layout. There's all kinds of ways you can use layouts and until you get through the tutorials you're never really understand that. So let's Create a New Layout, it's really simple, you can click on this button right here or you can go to Layouts Menu and choose New Layout. And what you get is this dialog, let's explain this dialog briefly. First you want to go from the top to the bottom and you'll notice that the first thing we have here is Show Records From. This refers to what table do you want to show data from, we only have one table so that's all you see but I also want to point out that this is not really a list of tables, this is a list of table occurrences. Now we don't know what a table occurrence is, we don't have any table occurrences, well we have one, which is the Contact but it represents a direct one-to-one relationship to our source or base table called Contacts. So for right now, for all all intense and purposes, this is a list of tables but as we go on when you see lists like this, it's going to be table occurrences and not tables and that will mean more later on. So first thing you do is you say which information do I want to show, Contacts or maybe on down the line we have products and invoices. You have to choose what you want this layout to show. Then you got to give it a name, we might call this List, because we're going to make a List View now and then you come down and choose the type of layout you want. Table View, List View, Report and so on, my favorite type of layout is the Blank Layout, that's because I don't really want a Wizard to walk me through what I can do inside of this solution. You'll notice that if you scroll down there are more choices here, sometimes I do use the Labels and things like that and Envelope Layouts but generally about 99 percent of the time I choose Blank Layout because I know how to control FileMaker. All these other options do is walk you through the features, even these ones down here, they just walk you through in a Wizard like fashion on how to create these types of layouts. So Blank is my favorite, let's come back up here and talk about including Layout Menus before we go through all these different types of, of layouts. So included in Layout Menus refers to this Pop-up Menu right here, that Pop-up Menu is available in Browse, Find, Layout and Preview. If it's checked this layout appear in all of those menus, all four of those menus. If you uncheck it, then this layout only appears in Layout Mode. So I often do that to prevent people from getting to Layouts, I want them to go along with my interface but we don't have any interface right now. So I'm going to leave it checked, you know an interface would be scripts that would navigate you around, things like that. So we actually need to be available from all those modes so you can switch real quickly. So what we're going to do is continue on with this discussion and talk about the different types of Layout Types when we come back in the next section.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.