Let's continue with our discussion of the Records Menu but let me remind you the Records Menu is a scary place. You have the ability to delete a record permanently or many records permanently and as you'll find out, we also have the ability to do Replace and Relookup and those are also scary things, they can change a whole bunch of records at once. So this is one of the reasons why security is placed on a file, it's to prevent people from making mistakes even a developer can make those mistakes, I've done it plenty of times. And so I often when I'm doing data entry log on with a non developer password that doesn't let me get to these features. I don't think that Delete Found Records or Replace Field Contents is a good feature for any user to have unsupervised. So be warned, you should use security which we'll cover in a later tutorial. You should use that to prevent people from accidentally making mistakes, just not malicious people but people who just accidentally do something. So let's talk about these features, again we're going to skip these for right now, saving them for the Find and Sort Section. What we're going to do is talk about Replace, Relookup and Revert. So they're all dimmed out, let's find out why Revert Record is dimmed out. What you have to do to get Revert Record to show up is make a change. So if I want to change this to Glen, I could delete some of those values and maybe I want to come in here and change this to Court but then I decide, you know what, I don't really want that. I can come up here and choose Revert Record, it's now available. Do you want to Revert to the Last Time it was entered? And we'll explain what this means, we'll try and Revert right now and notice that it goes back to Glendora and it goes back to CT period. So what that means is, if I come in here, make a change and then Commit the Record, I can't go ahead and then Revert it. I've already committed it, I've told it essentially to save and committing can happen when you click outside of the fields, when you click to another record, when you switch layouts, when you close the file. So if you want to have Revert it allows you to Revert back to the last change and it can be multiple changes across many fields, it's the last time you committed that record. So be careful with that, it is a nice feature but realize it, it has it's limitations. At, at some point FileMaker has to save the record, that's your Revert Record Feature, pretty easy and straightforward. Let's talk about Replace Field Contents, you notice that as soon as we click into a field, it doesn't matter what field, it becomes available. Essentially what Replace Field Contents allows you to do, is place the same value on all the records in your Found Set. So in this case we have 45 records found, that means the Replace will only work on the Found Set of 45 that, 46th record that's not in the Found Set will be left out. So let's go ahead and set up an example of what we might do, there are several ways to do Replace, but let's set up the simplest example. Let's say that you want to categorize each one of your contacts, well we're going to make a Category Field, so let's go into Manage Database, we'll go into the Field Section, I'll type in Category, Create it. Go into Options, I'm going to have it Auto-Enter Commercial each time a new record is created. That's because that's my most common category but we probably will have categories like Non Profit and Government, Educational, whatever kinds of categories you want and eventually we'll have a Radio Button or a Pop-up Menu where you can change those. That will come later in you know other sections but for right now we're going to have everybody become Commercial. So I click OK, click OK, I'm going to go Edit Layout Mode, I'm going to drag on a field, put it right in there, choose Category. Go back into Browse Mode and you notice that it doesn't have anything on this record, that's because it only happens when you create new records. Notice how the Auto-Enters the word Commercial there? So I want to delete that record, in order for us to get it on all of our existing records, we'd have to do a Replace. So if I click into that field and go to the Records Menu and choose Replace Field Contents, here's where you can do it but notice since I don't have anything typed in here it says Replace with nothing. We actually have to come in here and say Commercial because we want to get Commercial on all of our existing records and then do Replace Field Contents. You notice that now it has the word Commercial on there, it says Permanently Replace the Contents of the Field Category? Very important for you to read this because this is a scary feature, I often make a backup before I do it. In the 45 records, not 46 only 45, the current Found Set, Replace with the word Commercial. So it's really handy, it can be very valuable to get, like you might have just done an import like we did earlier and you want to put you know a certain company on there. You notice all the people were from the same company, this could be helpful to do this very quickly. Now there are other options down here we're going to go over later like Replace the Serial Numbers and with Calculated Result. We haven't even covered Calculations so we're not ready for this yet. So we're going to try the simplest approach, just hit Replace and you notice as we walk through the records, they all say Commercial on them. But if we go to the one record out of the Found Set, you'll see it doesn't have the word Commercial on it. That's because it only works on the Found Set. So that's a great little feature, love it but be scared of it. Probably lock it out with security so people can't get to it because they won't understand this feature, especially the other options down there. Sometimes I do use it with the script though because then you can control what happens with the script, you can do certain things to make sure that it, it doesn't backfire on you. Now the last feature that's there that we're were going to cover is your Relookup Field Contents but we're actually not going to cover, we're just going to give you a basic description of what it does. Because this requires a table for you to do, we haven't created a table, we don't have any relationships yet. We're going to wait until we do this feature until later because you can't understand a Relookup until you understand the Lookup and you can't do a Lookup until you understand what a Relationship is. So we have to first cover those so we'll kind of have to leave this one undone but the reason it's scary is because it relooksup on the Found Set. You might have a, a Relookup on table that has all of your City and States in there. So you Relookup based on this, the postal code or zip code and you want it to pull in the City and State. Well, you could mess everything up if you Relookup, you might not want that to happen at that point. So a scary feature, you want to hide this from the users. In fact I often don't even give them access to any of the Records Menu but we'll get more into that later on.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.