Let's examine in more detail what you can do in Browse Mode with the Records Menu. So first thing you want to do is make sure you are in Browse Mode, you can look down here at the bottom and see it says Browse. You can go to the View Menu and see where the checkmark is, you can look at the Status Toolbar. You want to make sure you identify what mode you are in by looking at the you know, the things that you are used to seeing in that mode because you don't want to accidentally do something in that mode like the most common mistake is Find to Browse Mode. So once you get to the Records Menu, you'll see New Record if you're in Browse Mode. And of course we covered New Record but I'll mention one more thing, I'd recommend memorizing this Keyboard Command, either Control N on Windows or Command N on the Macintosh. That's because it's easier to go from the Keyboard Command which is on the keyboard to typing into that new record rather than going from the mouse and choosing the item and then starting to type. Staying on the same input device rather than switching between two is much faster and if you're doing a lot of data entry that will really help you out as far as speed. And right below it we have Duplicate Record, Duplicate Record is pretty cool. Notice we have 43 records right now, if I choose Duplicate Record I'm going to get exact duplicate of Glens record. The only thing that's going to be different is it's Timestamp Create and things like that. We can then go into that record and say oh well this is Glens wife, there we go, we've just made a, a duplicate of this record, changed one thing and we have a completely new record. Because they probably have the same home phone number and same home address. The same is true for let's say two different contacts at the same company. You might change the name and the phone number and the e-mail address and the date of birth, but all the rest of the stuff, such as the address will stay the same, you can save yourself a ton of time. Now there's other ways to also make duplicate records, it's a little bit different. We're going to try creating a new record and then come down to the First Name Field and Insert from Last Visited Record. You notice it's pulling in from the last record that we visited. So the benefit here is that you can duplicate some of the record but not necessarily all of it. So you have to determine is Duplicate Record better or Insert from Last Record better. Now there's also a Keyboard Command here as well, all you have to do is do Control Quote or Command Quote and then you click down to the next field and do the same thing and if you throw in the Shift Key you can walk through the records and copy whatever you want. So there's lots of little things to help you out and make things faster, in fact there's even a Script Step for the item that you have there. Now it's important to understand what the Last Visited Record is. Let's go to a different record here and I'm going to click into Menu Waters and then click out. So I've, I've clicked into it to activate that record, clicked out, then I'm going to look at Bill Swanson and now I'm going to Create a New Record and now I'm going to do that Keyboard Command to copy. Notice it's copying the one that I last visited not the one that I last looked at. So I'm going to go through this and copy this, it's going to be good to have duplicate records in here for when we do our section on that so we can actually have records that duplicate. So I'll get all this stuff in there so we can actually find these. So that's the Duplicate Record Feature, right below it is Delete Record, again a very scary feature, this is one reason why when I develop solutions for people who don't necessarily program in FileMaker, I'll put security in some, them so they can't accidentally delete a record. Or you know automatically before a delete, say make a copy of it somewhere else so, you know and then sometime of supervisor or admin can delete it later. There's plug-ins that do that as well. So it's a very scary thing because you can't get this back unless you go to a backup and a lot of people don't read these messages and it's important to make sure that you know, you keep all that data in there. You don't want to lose it, people aren't necessarily malicious, they just don't know how to use it and they don't know it permanently delete this means or maybe they don't read the message and who knows what. And that's another reason why Cancel is the Default here. Now even scarier is right below it, Delete All Records, that will delete all the records in the current Found Set so if we happen to have, we'll use this feature down here, Omit Record, if we happen to have 45 records in our Found Set right now and we choose Delete Found Records, notice it says Permanently Delete all 45 Records in the current Found Set. Not 46 just 45, this is even scarier because that will take all these 45 records and permanently delete them, they'll be gone and there's no way to get them back except to go to a backup. So I normally don't even leave this available to any user at all, it's really I think personally a Developer Feature. And if we go into the Records Menu we have Go To Record, Next, Previous and Go To. That's similar to this feature right here, Next Previous and the Go To Feature where you type this in. Then you have Refresh Window and this is an interesting feature. It essentially refreshes the window or redraws the window so that it you know it's up to date. Now you don't typically need to use this very often because FileMaker does a pretty good job but there are certain situations where FileMaker says well this is going to be an efficiency issue, I'm not going to go ahead and update the screen. It might be that you have Relationships that are three levels deep and it's not going to update it when you change the record at the lowest level, not on the current screen. So you've got to, you got to think about what FileMaker tries to do to make things happen efficiently but I, I would say 99.9 percent of the time, you won't need this feature and so don't worry about it, it's there. But if you do see something, you're like I'm sure this Relationship should have updated, try it and it'll update it. Or if you, you know some things drawn strangely on the screen or a calculation hasn't updated, you could use it but I can tell you, I rarely use it myself. Sometimes I throw it into scripts but we haven't covered scripts and we won't cover Relationships in fact until the intermediate section. Now we're going to skip Show All Records, Show Omitted Only, we've covered them a little bit, Omit Record, Omit Multiple, Modify Last Find, Save Finds, Sort Records, Unsort. because we're going to cover those in separate chapters. We're going to cover Replace and Relookup and Revert Record in the next section. So just realize this section right here won't be covered until later because it deserves really a, a lot of, a lot of time and these really deserve some specific time also. But we'll cover them next, these you'll have to wait a little while for when we cover them in the Find Section.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.