Currently we have two records in our database and you notice I've completed the data entry in the second record. The reason I'm showing you the data is so you can copy it down in your version so if I do a Find or a Sort or work this data, you have the same information to play with and so you can get the same results. So Chino Hills, California, 91709, there's a phone number in here and there's also an e-mail address and a date of birth. So make sure you get that into your version because you should be building this solution as we go through these tutorials. It will really help with your retention. Now what we're going to do here is save you some time by importing customers or contacts. We don't want to enter in 50 different contacts, it's going to be really boring and you really don't need to do that, we're going to import them. So we're going to get two things out of that. We're going to save you time and we're also going to get to show you how the Import Feature works because you maybe starting from an Excel Spreadsheet and need to get your data in here. Well that's what you need; you need the Import Feature to do that. Now before we go up to the Menus and choose the Import Option, you need to understand Context. Now you won't fully understand it right now but I want to plant the seed and the reason you won't fully understand it right now is because we have a flat database. So the Context is always the same no matter what layout you're on but when you get multiple tables and therefore a layout displays information from a particular table even though it can come from related tables. Once we, once we get into the intermediate tutorial, you'll understand all this stuff but essentially understand that each layout has its own records it's showing whether it's the customers or the invoices or the products. You need to make sure you're in the right Context on the right layout. And so I'm just planting the seed, you don't have to fully understand it right now but realize before you do a lot of things, whether it's scripting or importing or printing you need to make sure you're in the correct Context in order to do it from that perspective. So now that you go that, we're going to go over to the File Menu and choose Import Records and here's all our Import Options. There is ODBC Data Source, that's Open Database Connectivity, it's been around for a long time and essentially allows you to import from any program that supports ODBC. That could be a mainframe like Oracle or something like that or it could be as simple as another database like Access. Any program that supports it, it's been around for a long time so a lot of programs support it and it's pretty cool. I use it in my business but we're not going to cover it here in these tutorials, it's really not part of what we're going to try to accomplish here. And XML is a newer version of ODBC, it's not really related but it does the same thing and it's a newer, more technically astute version of ODBC and it does a lot of other things. And again we're not going to, you know really cover it in these tutorials because it's, it's a pretty high end feature. But I want you to have an idea what these things are under these menus so you don't get confused and go, I wonder what that is. You probably in your FileMaker career will never use either one of these and when you need them, well you'll remember where they are. Bento is a Mac only program created by FileMaker Incorporated, think of it as a simple version of FileMaker and if you want to move from Bento up to FileMaker, you can import that data. Again we're not going to cover this in these tutorials. Then you have a Folder which you can import a folder of pictures or text files but the most common by far is this first choice which is what we're going to do right now. Import from a File so when you choose Import from a File, you get the Open File Dialog and you need to locate your file. And on the desktop I have a file that's provided in the Work Files called Names.fmp12. You should also pay attention to what's going on down here. We have the different file types, you can leave it on All Available and FileMaker almost always chooses the correct file type but if you know what file type it is, it's always a good idea not only to choose it from here because then you know it, you're forcing it to use that type. But also because any files that are not of, in this case FileMaker Pro will be dimmed up here or if you switch to Tab Separated, notice that the FileMaker Files become dimmed because not they are not Tab Separated. So you can leave it on All Available, I usually do, it's not usually a problem at all. But what I want to do is tell you about these different file formats. So a Tab Separated is a simple text file with a Tab separating each field and a Return character separating each record. So when FileMaker reads that file, it goes okay there's a tab. Okay the next text value string goes into the next field. Oh I see a return, okay now I'm going to make a new record. The same thing is true about Comma Separated except instead of Tabs you have commas separating each one of the fields and of course a Return between each record. Merge Files, well that's just a word processing format, you probably won't use that much. More on Export than Import and then you have the two Excel Formats, the older one .XLS and the newer one .XLSX and then you have DBase Files. So again I'm going to switch back to All Available. I'm going to go ahead and located My Names.fmp12 but if you're trying to import from Excel it's really exactly the same process as we're going through to import from a FileMaker file. There's really no difference except that you're importing from an Excel File or even if you had a Tab Separated, there's really no difference. So don't worry about once you learn how to one import, it's really the same for everything and then we're going to simply click Open. But before we do that, take a look over here, there's a new feature called Set Up as Automatic Recurring Import. We're not going to really cover that, that's a new feature that came in FileMaker Pro 11 and you know it's really not a feature I use a lot. I don't think it's that handy but essentially it allows you to go ahead and make, have FileMaker automatically make a script for you and things like that. I'm going to teach you how to do all that stuff, it's kind of more of a feature for somebody who's not watching the tutorials we're doing right now. Because if you're watching these tutorials, you want to become really good at FileMaker and I never use this because I know how to do all this stuff that this feature does and we can set up a Recurring Import automatically and understand what's going on. If you do it this way, it's going to make all the stuff for you, it's kind of like an automation or a, a Wizard or something like that for you. So we're not really going to cover it here but you'll know enough about scripting when you're done with the tutorials to actually accomplish that feat right there. So we'll just go to right to Open and we're going to get this Import Field Mapping Dialog. This is what we're going to go over in the next section, we're going to split up this section right now so that you can take a rest or you can go back and do what we're talking about in, in this section. You know if you're just watching it right now, however you want to do it but I do recommend you build it and here's a chance for you to go ahead and do all this stuff we've done up till now.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.